Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2015, 12:31 PM - 2 Likes   #14896
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,791
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
My favorite is top fuel, which got lowered to 1000 feet in 2008 I think. Imagine how fast they would get up to if they still did 1320 feet. Ohh, I know why they did it, but it still isn't the same to me.
I haven't kept up on Funny Car and Top Fuel so I guess I missed the change in track length. I see it was after Scott Kalitta was killed, in a Funny Car. Any changes that result in better safety are certainly required.

Here is a bit of facts about Top Fuel Dragsters. It is dated, since it was written before the death of Mr. Kalitta. Also note that Scott's brother Doug held the Top fuel speed record at the time of the writing of what follows.

* One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic-inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows at the Daytona 500. * Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 11.2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.
* A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to merely drive the dragster's supercharger.
* With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.
* At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.
* Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.
* Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.
* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.
* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.
* Dragsters reach over 300 MPH before you have completed reading this sentence.
* In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4 G's. In order to reach 200 MPH well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8 G's.
* Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!
* Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.
* The redline is actually quite high at 9500 RPM.
* THE BOTTOM LINE: Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, & for once, NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000 per second.
The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter-mile (10/05/03, Tony Schumacher). The top speed record is 333.00 MPH (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of the run (09/28/03, Doug Kalitta).
Putting this all into perspective:
Lets say the you are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter twin-turbo powered Corvette Z06.
Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged & ready to launch down a quarter-mile strip as you pass by it. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line & pass the dragster at an honest 200 MPH. Just as you pass the Top Fuel Dragster the 'tree' goes green for both of you.
The dragster launches & starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums & within 3 seconds the dragster catches & passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter-mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it - from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 MPH & not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race!
That's acceleration!

02-23-2015, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #14897
Veteran Member
Joel B's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,336
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
That's acceleration!
No. That's a real sport!! Strapping yourself into a combination car/rocket/thermobaric bomb over and over is nuts but totally cool!!
02-23-2015, 12:56 PM   #14898
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,516
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The health benefits of playing sports are totally negated by the couch sitting that goes on watching sports.


Professional sports show that while some sport is good for its health benefits, too much is not a better thing. Otherwise, retired professional sports players would have long life of good health. Many seem to be half broken and not able to do things that the less active of us still seem to be able to do to a reasonable age. Seems to be a lot of benefit in keeping the body ticking over nicely with no excessive over doing of it.
02-23-2015, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #14899
Emperor and Senpai
VoiceOfReason's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nashville, IN
Posts: 5,419
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I haven't kept up on Funny Car and Top Fuel so I guess I missed the change in track length. I see it was after Scott Kalitta was killed, in a Funny Car. Any changes that result in better safety are certainly required.

Here is a bit of facts about Top Fuel Dragsters. It is dated, since it was written before the death of Mr. Kalitta. Also note that Scott's brother Doug held the Top fuel speed record at the time of the writing of what follows.

* One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic-inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows at the Daytona 500. * Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 11.2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.
* A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to merely drive the dragster's supercharger.
* With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.
* At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.
* Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.
* Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.
* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.
* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.
* Dragsters reach over 300 MPH before you have completed reading this sentence.
* In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4 G's. In order to reach 200 MPH well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8 G's.
* Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!
* Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.
* The redline is actually quite high at 9500 RPM.
* THE BOTTOM LINE: Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, & for once, NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000 per second.
The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter-mile (10/05/03, Tony Schumacher). The top speed record is 333.00 MPH (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of the run (09/28/03, Doug Kalitta).
Putting this all into perspective:
Lets say the you are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter twin-turbo powered Corvette Z06.
Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged & ready to launch down a quarter-mile strip as you pass by it. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line & pass the dragster at an honest 200 MPH. Just as you pass the Top Fuel Dragster the 'tree' goes green for both of you.
The dragster launches & starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums & within 3 seconds the dragster catches & passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter-mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it - from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 MPH & not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race!
That's acceleration!
Now imagine what they would do with 12 years of advancement. Ohh they could still do the quarter with safety, but it would be a full rebuild of tracks to do it and then some couldn't be rebuilt to a new standard because there simply isn't any room.

There is something about Top Fuel that gets the blood flowing. Probably that acceleration and the feel of thousands of horsepower in your very bones as they make a pass.

02-23-2015, 01:07 PM   #14900
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,516
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The Daytona 500. The culmination of Speedweeks and the "Superbowl of Motor Racing".

'Nuff said.


Both times I went to Daytona Beach I stayed at a hotel which is a long walk from the track, further around the boundary of the airport than the track. And both times I attended meetings at the university there. That place is famous. Even my students here have heard of it and I can build my creds with them by referring to my visits there. I liked the white wooden rocking chairs in the airport gate lounges. I saw some like them somewhere else, I think also in the real south of US.

---------- Post added 02-24-15 at 06:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
They would but they are far too easy to do. Stick a knife in their vent and slice upwards towards the gills along the bottom. Push all the guts out with your thumb, cut off the head and then scrape off the scales.

When you get back to camp or home, prepare as you like and eat.

Easy Squeezy

No Pain

No Stain


Why cut the head off? My wife always cooks them with the head on. The flesh around the head is quite a nice, different texture. The eyes are good, the soft outer part, the inner part goes hard like a bone.
02-23-2015, 01:49 PM   #14901
Veteran Member
magkelly's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,905
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Most people who enjoy eating meat would never touch it if they saw the process of killing and butchering their favorite tasty treat.
I've seen it done to a deer and I've seen videos of cows and birds being killed and prepped. I still eat meat but I prefer not to eat it unless it comes in nice little packages from the butcher. If I had to, say an emergency hit and I had no choice but to hunt or starve I probably would force myself to hunt rather than go vegan. I'm definitely a carnivore and because of a health thing I literally cannot eat and actually digest a lot of nutrients in green veggies. Some of them I'm actually allergic to. Going vegan would be almost impossible for me anyway. I'd have to hunt or be sick. It would not be easy for me though. I like animals way too much. I hate looking animals and that in the eye and killing them. About the only thing I can kill and not wince is bugs in the house. I have no qualms there. I hate bugs in the house. Outside they're interesting, but inside they're DEAD, though spiders I will try to trap and put outside first...
02-23-2015, 02:24 PM - 2 Likes   #14902
Pentaxian
FantasticMrFox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2,119
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I hate bugs in the house. Outside they're interesting, but inside they're DEAD, though spiders I will try to trap and put outside first...
The spiders are actually on your side, they help reducing the number of bugs in your house
02-23-2015, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #14903
Veteran Member
Joel B's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,336
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
say an emergency hit and I had no choice
Partner up with a hunter and trade work. Like say they kill it you cook it. Win-win!(That is if you like to cook) Survival will be much more fun with friends!

02-23-2015, 02:44 PM   #14904
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,791
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Strapping yourself into a combination car/rocket/thermobaric bomb over and over is nuts but totally cool!!
And that is why we do it!
02-23-2015, 02:47 PM   #14905
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,791
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Why cut the head off? My wife always cooks them with the head on. The flesh around the head is quite a nice, different texture. The eyes are good, the soft outer part, the inner part goes hard like a bone.
True. I've had halibut head at a sushi bar. The sushi master is a longtime friend, and he has given me the heads a time or three. I actually like it, and yes there is really good meat in there. The cheeks are the best.

But I will pass on the eyes though.

Yuk!
02-23-2015, 05:54 PM   #14906
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,516
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
True. I've had halibut head at a sushi bar. The sushi master is a longtime friend, and he has given me the heads a time or three. I actually like it, and yes there is really good meat in there. The cheeks are the best.

But I will pass on the eyes though.

Yuk!


The sushi master would probably appreciate you offering the eyes. I met a Korean man years ago who said when he was a boy the boys would always tussle to be the one to get the eye.
02-23-2015, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #14907
Veteran Member
Joel B's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,336
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The sushi master would probably appreciate you offering the eyes. I met a Korean man years ago who said when he was a boy the boys would always tussle to be the one to get the eye.
Now in the north they fight over the grass! Thanks to hociR's minion, Kim Jung Ung!
02-23-2015, 08:02 PM   #14908
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,516
The man I met was from the south.
02-23-2015, 08:22 PM   #14909
Veteran Member
magkelly's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,905
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
The spiders are actually on your side, they help reducing the number of bugs in your house
Yeah, but they'd die anyway and I hate to see spiders die. Unless it's one of those huge huntsman things my cats would take on a spider and they would likely kill it. Better I find it first and put it back out then it ends up all torn up in the bathtub. They do a good job actually keeping the place clean of insects. I rarely have to kill them myself. The other night my boy he brought me TWO of those huge wood roaches we have here, all nice and dead. (Aka Palmetto bugs, because they like Palmetto palm trees.) I hate those things. I was so impressed that he got 10 cat treats, grin...
02-23-2015, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #14910
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Photos: Albums
Posts: 658
Pentax Rulez!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
arctic cold, bacon, basque paella, beer, caffeine, camera, canada, catch 22, cheddar, cheese, dachsunds, dew, drink, dslr, gin, igunaq, k-mount, k3, kids, lutefisk, marital relations, mother, mountain, norm, patent, pentax k-3, pentax lens, possums, research, ricoh, sandwich, scotch, shirley, snoring, spam, toilet, tokyo, veggies, vermont, world
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why I will buy a K3 chicagojohn Pentax K-3 80 09-18-2016 08:42 AM
Suggestion Neutralize the 'why I won't buy a k-3' thread crewl1 Site Suggestions and Help 61 10-04-2014 05:08 PM
Why I Won't Be Buying A K5IIs Racer X 69 Pentax K-5 40 02-03-2014 08:12 PM
Why I don't buy Pentax lenses keyser Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 44 12-20-2012 01:58 AM
I feel so old: 8 things the facebook gen won't buy Nesster General Talk 27 04-22-2012 11:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:19 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top