Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #61

Didn't Ricoh come right out and compare the Pentax name to Lumix on a Panasonic? Isn't the K-3 a Ricoh camera then first and foremost, despite all the convoluted logic of those who just can't bring themselves to accept the obvious? You can point at a glass of water and insist it's milk all you want I suppose. Canon Eos, Panasonic Lumix, Ricoh Pentax. Things have definitely changed! It's certainly understandable that some Pentaxians are very unhappy about all this. I don't like seeing them ridiculed here.

10-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
***duplicate msg, content deleted******

Last edited by regor; 10-10-2013 at 07:14 PM.
10-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #63
Veteran Member

I don't know if I can resist getting the K-3.
Will wait till end of this year to decide... or getting one of those 'low-end' FF from Canikon.

But if I know Ricoh will have a FF next year, I will get K-3, so I could stay in the brand.
10-10-2013, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #64
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxdude Quote
I have been waiting for the announcement of the k3 for some time.Now that the camera is out and seeing the pics and seeing "ricoh on the back of the screen turns me off.Only a matter of time before we see Ricoh on the front of the camera.I think ricoh just shot themselves in the foot.
So it's okay with you that the most, or second most (depending on your point of view) important component of the camera (the sensor) is manufactured by someone else, but the parent company's name, having no effect on function whatsoever, appearing somewhere on the camera is a deal killer?

10-10-2013, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I could see myself buying a Ricoh K-02 as long as it took my K mount lenses.
I wonder what the K-01 die hards would think about that?
1. IIRC Ricoh President has said the Pentax brand is valued and should be retained and promoted (always here).
2. As a K-01 proponent and pre-order guru (I don't actually have a K-5) I would buy and use a Ricoh K-mount MILC if it had the qualities of a Pentax camera.
10-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxdude Quote
I have been waiting for the announcement of the k3 for some time.Now that the camera is out and seeing the pics and seeing "ricoh on the back of the screen turns me off.Only a matter of time before we see Ricoh on the front of the camera.I think ricoh just shot themselves in the foot.
Let me see - your profile shows that you have an MX. I don't know about yours, but mine has the AOCo symbol and Asahi stamped into the pentaprism just above PENTAX. Ricoh, like Asahi before is the company that owns the Pentax brand. If seeing their name on the back of the camera would keep you from continuing in the Pentax fold, I guess that's your choice. But it won't stop me. Glad to have someone invest in the brand to keep my prior investments useful.
10-10-2013, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
OMG it says Ricoh at the back...how can Ricoh, the company who bought Pentax, salvaged the interest of it's share holders, designed and made the K3, have the audacity to put their name on their product? Well, if you can't live with the fact that Pentax is dead as a company and been downgraded to a mere branding, you may as well buy a canikon, meanwhile the rest of us will enjoy our new Ricoh K3 DSLR. Long live Ricoh!

Ricoh, Ricoh, Ricoh, go Ricoh...

I hope you don't feel offended by that

By the way, we should re-label this site as well to the Ricoh-Pentax Forum !

Sorry if this thought makes you hyperventilate, but it's the harsh reality, get over it!
Adam's next April Fools joke.

Banner will say RICOH FORUMS

10-10-2013, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #68
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh Forums - Discuss Ricoh Cameras at PentaxForums.com
10-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #69
Veteran Member

OMG it says Ricoh at the back...how can Ricoh, the company who bought Pentax, salvaged the interest of it's share holders, designed and made the K3, have the audacity to put their name on their product? Well, if you can't live with the fact that Pentax is dead as a company and been downgraded to a mere branding, you may as well buy a canikon, meanwhile the rest of us will enjoy our new Ricoh K3 DSLR. Long live Ricoh!

By the way, we should re-label this site as well to the Ricoh-Pentax Forum !

Sorry if this thought makes you hyperventilate, but it's the harsh reality, try to get over it!

You may even have to change your nickname to Ricohdude
10-10-2013, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #70

Good grief people, just take pictures!
10-10-2013, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
This thread is depressing.
Indeed it is..

The OP is trolling.
Don't feed the trolls
10-10-2013, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just bought a concession for Gaffer Tape.
10-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #73
Veteran Member

What can be said? Ricoh is in love with themselves and really proud of the K-3.

It's all about branding and Ricoh's approach with Pentax isn't the most eloquent I've seen. Between the website bastardization and last minute plastering of Ricoh on the K-3... it may result in confusion for those not in-the know.

I think "The PENTAX by RICOH" gets the point across for cameras. Perhaps they should brand glass differently the way Nikon does. Not sure. I just think the current approach is a bit crude.

This post in no way criticizes the technical excellence represented by the K-3. I am criticizing how the Pentax/Ricoh relationship is being branded.
10-10-2013, 02:16 PM - 2 Likes   #74
Veteran Member

lenski: The "get out and take pictures thing" is getting old. Perhaps some of us enjoy a conversation involving cameras. If you don't, go out and take some pictures.
10-10-2013, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #75
Pentaxian

I have repaired truck refrigeration equipment for 40 years. The two largest manufacturers in the world are Thermo King and Carrier. Plastered all over both are the names of their corporate owners, Ingersoll Rand and United Technologies. Both Carrier and Thermo King are long respected names and have selling power and customer loyalty based on those names. Even though IR and UT are well known themselves, I seriously doubt they will ever drop the TK or Carrier brand names. I think the same is true of Pentax. It has a long history in photography and is a brand name that has value worth far more than the company's assets when Ricoh purchased them. Ricoh wasn't much of a player in the photography field in recent years and even in the days of film, they probably sold far more cameras as relabeled Sears than their own name.