Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #241
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Not Rixoh? Ricox? Ritax?

I should email GGS and suggest them to make a screen that specifically covers the Ricoh sign so we can all be happy.
No, I just prefer the K mount to the C mount, which needs an adaptor.

10-16-2013, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #242
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am unsubscribing from this thread, it is seriously ridiculous
10-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #243
Veteran Member

I think this guy has a perfectly valid point. I go both ways on this issue. I think the pentax brand is important and would love to see it survive. However if Ricoh does decide to do away with it in open to having Ricoh cameras too.
10-16-2013, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #244
Veteran Member

pentaxicoh :-P

10-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #245

The only reason that i´m not going to buy the K3 will probably be, that Pentax doesn´t have that much good lenses if you look at the Lenses without Screwdrive-Motor. The have SDM issues or are overpriced like the 55 1,4. All the nice Primes have screwdrive wich i dont lilke
10-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #246
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hZti Quote
The only reason that i´m not going to buy the K3 will probably be, that Pentax doesn´t have that much good lenses if you look at the Lenses without Screwdrive-Motor. The have SDM issues or are overpriced like the 55 1,4. All the nice Primes have screwdrive wich i dont lilke
Well, ok, but it's worth noting that the K-3 supposedly has a new brushless motor that can focus those screw-drivers more quietly and quickly. Just FYI.
10-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #247
Pentaxian

Per the OP's original post, I will not be purchasing the K-3 for the following reasons:

1 - It is still not a full frame camera. I already own an APS-C camera that works fine, so I do not need another.
2 - I have been shooting Pentax since 1984. Before that I shot Minolta. I watched what Sony did to Minolta though everyone was positive that "they are not dumb enough to destroy a good brand." Yet Sony did exactly that, and pretty quickly. To put it simply, I do not trust Ricoh. I will watch and see what they do to the Pentax brand. I have not personally been comforted by their approach so far.
3 - This appears to be a new sensor, at least for Pentax/Ricoh. In our digital age no-one is interested in making things work properly the first time out of the gate. Put it out quickly and then make the necessary changes as things go along...maybe. Sometimes they just wait for the next version.
4 - Finally, I am finally learning that making good pictures does not require that I go out and buy a new camera every couple of years. In fact, it has taken me longer then that to really learn how to make decent pictures with my K1000 and the M 50/2 lens. Using one camera for a very long time and really learning how to use it is actually a good thing.

By the way, I am an old Pentaxian, and an old fogey. Putting Ricoh on the back of this camera is their right, they own the brand after all. But when I pick up my camera I expect to see Pentax, not Ricoh. I was not buying Ricoh cameras in the 80s and I won't be buying them today. Even Hoya had the good sense to keep their name on that little sticker on the bottom of the camera. To most of you it means nothing, and that is up to you. To me it does. Good god folks, Leica has not been owned by Leitz for quite a while now but no-one is slapping their corporate brand on that camera, at least not where it can easily be seen. Because any marketer with any sense knows that dilutes the brand. And you never dilute the brand if you intend to capitalize on it for the long term.

10-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #248
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
By the way, I am an old Pentaxian, and an old fogey. Putting Ricoh on the back of this camera is their right, they own the brand after all. But when I pick up my camera I expect to see Pentax, not Ricoh. I was not buying Ricoh cameras in the 80s and I won't be buying them today. Even Hoya had the good sense to keep their name on that little sticker on the bottom of the camera. To most of you it means nothing, and that is up to you. To me it does. Good god folks, Leica has not been owned by Leitz for quite a while now but no-one is slapping their corporate brand on that camera, at least not where it can easily be seen. Because any marketer with any sense knows that dilutes the brand. And you never dilute the brand if you intend to capitalize on it for the long term.
I do understand where you're coming from. Mention has been made also of Nikon which is apparently owned by Mitsubishi. Again, they do not put their name on the camera. But I think the difference is that unlike Hoya or Mitsubishi (I'm not sure who owns Leica Camera), Ricoh made cameras before they bought Pentax. I'm not saying that Ricoh couldn't have kept Pentax as a separate brand, like Toyota/Lexus, but they evidently have chosen not to do so. That this upsets some loyal Pentaxians, I fully comprehend. I would have preferred it to stay "pure" Pentax, but I'm buying a K-3 regardless. With my investment in lenses, the K mount is equally, if not more, important to me than the name on the camera body. And yes, I'm an old fogey too - I'm sure that the K-3 will well outlast me (but that won't stop me buying cameras).
10-16-2013, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #249
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxdude Quote
.Now that the camera is out and seeing the pics and seeing "ricoh on the back of the screen turns me off.
We have seen Honeywell Pentax and Asahi Pentax on the front of bodies. There is nothing inconsistent in Ricoh Pentax.
10-16-2013, 09:46 PM - 1 Like   #250
Veteran Member

25 years ago, I wanted a Bogen. it was advertised as such and that's I purchased Later it was "Bogen by Manfrotto" and then "Manfrotto". The main difference s that "Bogen" was the distributor of the tripods while Ricoh is the manufacturer. I don't care who makes it, but I don't Ricoh on the front as I don't want Sears, Tampax or Mary Kay on my lenses.
10-16-2013, 09:55 PM - 1 Like   #251
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
We have seen Honeywell Pentax and Asahi Pentax on the front of bodies. There is nothing inconsistent in Ricoh Pentax.
This has been said many times in this thread. I completely disagree.

First Asahi Optical Company (AOC) WAS Pentax. Without them there would have been no Pentax for us to discuss. And even they had the common sense to realize that the company needed to be re-named Pentax.

Second, Honeywell never owned Pentax. For a period of time Honeywell was the US Distributor for Pentax. The price for agreeing to distribute the Pentax camera was to add their name to the camera name. Having the Honeywell name on the camera was actually an advantage for Asahi Optical Company and was an improvement over the previous agreement with Sears Roebuck.

Finally, I do have loyalty to the Pentax brand and I absolutely do not like what I have seen happen so far. I think I agree with part of what Monochrome has been saying. Ricoh does have a plan...I just don't think some of us are really going to be very happy when we finally see where it takes us.

But, life goes on. Change happens. Perhaps it is time that I stepped away and looked closer at what others have to offer. It is only a camera after all. It is just a bit sad to see the fine people on this forum so willing to accept this without kicking back just a little. Just because someone seems willing to hand you some money doesn't mean you should blindly accept it without questioning what is actually behind the offer. But in this entire thread there are just a very small handful who are even willing to consider that there may be a problem, let alone actively start questioning.

This is supposedly one of the most influential Pentax forums in existence. If everyone on this website actively boycotted the K-3 until Ricoh agreed to take their name off the back of the camera do you think they would change their minds?
10-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #252
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drsrj13 Quote
I am profoundly disappointed in Pentax for not making the K-3 a full frame DSLR. This morning Sony announced its compact full frame camera, so they are acknowledging the market potential. We Pentax loyalists are owed no less, and it is a mistake to alter the display to Ricoh. Sony should have kept the Minolta name intact, and Ricoh should do the same for Pentax. They have to decide whether or not to stay in the camera business. If they limit their offerings to low-midrange they will ultimately lose everything. I remember when Herbert Keppler was alive he used mostly Pentax cameras for his Popular Photography articles. There is pent up demand for a full frame Pentax. Sad to see that Ricoh doesn't get it.
Bert Keppler also wrote the book 'The Pentax Way' which BTW is a tremendous book. I've had it in my library since the '70's.

I recall one of his last columns . It was about if he could only have one lens....something like that. The lens...the Pentax 10-17mm Fisheye. I bought one on that recommendation and I'm glad I did.

A tremendous lens, that I find at 17mm adds punch to wide angle type photos.
10-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #253
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
This has been said many times in this thread. I completely disagree.

First Asahi Optical Company (AOC) WAS Pentax. Without them there would have been no Pentax for us to discuss. And even they had the common sense to realize that the company needed to be re-named Pentax.

Second, Honeywell never owned Pentax. For a period of time Honeywell was the US Distributor for Pentax. The price for agreeing to distribute the Pentax camera was to add their name to the camera name. Having the Honeywell name on the camera was actually an advantage for Asahi Optical Company and was an improvement over the previous agreement with Sears Roebuck.

Finally, I do have loyalty to the Pentax brand and I absolutely do not like what I have seen happen so far. I think I agree with part of what Monochrome has been saying. Ricoh does have a plan...I just don't think some of us are really going to be very happy when we finally see where it takes us.

But, life goes on. Change happens. Perhaps it is time that I stepped away and looked closer at what others have to offer. It is only a camera after all. It is just a bit sad to see the fine people on this forum so willing to accept this without kicking back just a little. Just because someone seems willing to hand you some money doesn't mean you should blindly accept it without questioning what is actually behind the offer. But in this entire thread there are just a very small handful who are even willing to consider that there may be a problem, let alone actively start questioning.

This is supposedly one of the most influential Pentax forums in existence. If everyone on this website actively boycotted the K-3 until Ricoh agreed to take their name off the back of the camera do you think they would change their minds?
I don't disagree with many of your points. However I've never been a fan of boycotting.
10-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #254
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax as a company only existed for 6 years

I posted the following in another thread, but I will drop it here as well as I think it's relevant to the 'discussion' here.

The arguments about Pentax cameras not really being Pentax anymore because Ricoh now owns the brand seem ridiculous to me. For most of the life on the brand, Pentax has been just that, a brand. The company making the original Pentax cameras (from 1957) was Asahi Optical.

The company wasn’t renamed to Pentax Corporation until 2002. In mid 2007 Hoya bought the controlling interest in Pentax Corporation and in mid 2008 Pentax Corporation and Hoya merged. At this point, Pentax as a company effectively ceased to exist, but the brand continued. So technically, “Pentax” as a company only existed for 6 years. Prior to 2002 Pentax was a brand name only.

Hoya separated the Pentax camera business from the rest of its operations in 2011 (creating Pentax Imaging Corporation) which was then sold to Ricoh, who continue to develop and market Pentax brand cameras. It’s exactly the same situation as the previous 3 years when Hoya owned the brand, and not really even different to the previous 50 years when Asahi Optical owned it.

As a long time Pentax user, I would be sad if the brand disappeared, but as long as the cameras produced by Ricoh Imaging (or anyone else in the future) continue to be compatible with current K-mount and old K and M mount lenses, I don’t particularly care whether they have Pentax written on them or not, and I'm amazed at how much some others do care.

10-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #255
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I don't disagree with many of your points. However I've never been a fan of boycotting.
No...neither am I really. It just galls me that so many on this forum seem to care so little about Pentax as a brand that they not only willingly roll over and let this happen, they seem to actively support it instead of fighting back. I know it seems like a little thing, but it really isn't. It is a big thing. If this happened to Canon or Nikon all h-e-double toothpicks would break out. But somehow there are a lot of us here on the biggest Pentax forum who not only think this is a good thing, we throw up 17 pages of posts to run down the only guy who has the cajones to bring the subject up.