Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #286
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
I think the point that's being missed here is not so much the addition of RICOH to the rear of the camera but the complete absence of PENTAX from the rear. On the margin, for some people undecided whether to upgrade to K-5II(s) or K-3, it may push them towards the K-5 series option or even another brand altogether, therefore harming the prospects of success of K-3. Whether the logic of such people is flawed or not matters not; what matters is the result.

But I do wonder if RICOH simply made too hurried a decision, without thinking it through. Clearly, it was a last minute decision, otherwise the pre-production K-3s would also have had just RICOH on the back. It smacks of someone high up, from outside the RICOH optical division, reviewing the (almost) finished product and forcing so a late policy change that it couldn't be implemented well in the timescale to launch... and that "someone" not realising that everyone would know about their late decision, because of the pre-production versions already out in the wild.

As I said earlier, the best way to have implemented this would have been to put PENTAX by Ricoh or similar on the back, either where it is or with the two names separated. But they didn't (I suspect) have time to think it through and do it what I would call properly. However many times PENTAX is emblazoned on the camera front, it should not be missing completely from the rear.

My verdict is: cock-up not conspiracy (as we Brits would say). I don't think Ricoh will sell any more K-3s because of it, but they may sell a few less - and that is not good.
The K-3 is branded in exactly the same way that my ME Super is. PENTAX on the front of the pentaprism housing and the name of the company (Asahi Opt. Co. - Japan) on the rear under the memo holder. My K2 has Asahi Opt. Co. stamped into the back under the film winder handle, and it also has ASAHI above PENTAX on the front (ASAHI is in smaller letters than PENTAX).

Neither of my Asahi built cameras have Pentax written on them anywhere else apart from the front of the prism housing.

Having the brand name boldly emblazoned on the front and the manufacturers name clearly (but less boldly) on the back of the K-3 seems totally reasonable and consistent with previous practice.

10-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #287
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Merts Quote
The K-3 is branded in exactly the same way that my ME Super is. PENTAX on the front of the pentaprism housing and the name of the company (Asahi Opt. Co. - Japan) on the rear under the memo holder. My K2 has Asahi Opt. Co. stamped into the back under the film winder handle, and it also has ASAHI above PENTAX on the front (ASAHI is in smaller letters than PENTAX).

Neither of my Asahi built cameras have Pentax written on them anywhere else apart from the front of the prism housing.

Having the brand name boldly emblazoned on the front and the manufacturers name clearly (but less boldly) on the back of the K-3 seems totally reasonable and consistent with previous practice.
Ah OK, well it seems that there have been some differences over the years. But except when the manufacturer was Pentax Corporation, the manufacturer's name has never to my knowledge been anywhere near as prominent as RICOH now will be on the back. You have to peer hard to even see the 'Asahi' on the back of MX and ME Supers and mine don't even have the small 'faded' Asahi on the front that some like yours have. My K-100s and the K-10D and my K-5 have just Pentax front and rear, I guess many are used to that, so the prominence this time of RICOH on the back (compared to the earlier Asahi etc.) is a noticeable change.

The clever thing to do IMO would have been to make their company name less noticeable than it now will be, or to have included the brand name as well, to avoid any potential issues. Brand fans can be a funny lot and manufacturers ought to know this; I just think Ricoh made a rushed late change prompted by top management, and didn't then implement it in the best possible way from the point of view of owners who are fussy about that kind of thing.
10-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #288

Pure Pentax

This old fellow just has Pentax on it, nothing else. I am pleased that Pentax cameras continue to show their distinct design attributes and offer a uniquely satisfying experience for doing photography.

Name:  Pure Pentax_1.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  214.5 KB

* Photo taken with a K-01 that says Pentax on the front and Pentax and Pentax Ricoh Imaging on the bottom.
10-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #289
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
This old fellow just has Pentax on it, nothing else. I am pleased that Pentax cameras continue to show their distinct design attributes and offer a uniquely satisfying experience for doing photography.

Attachment 191585

* Photo taken with a K-01 that says Pentax on the front and Pentax and Pentax Ricoh Imaging on the bottom.
If Pentax does release a mirrorless, I hope they go with the retro black and sliver like the ME. I like the look, but I don't like it nearly as much on a modern DSLR. IT needs to be a real brushed metal, and not a silver paint.

10-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #290
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
IMO , the owners have the right to stamp their name on their subsidiary products for marketing of their other mainstream products (printers, copiers with Ricoh name,...) .
But I believe they will keep the famous Pentax name on all Pentax models . If they name this K-3 as Ricoh K-3 , I'm sure that they will lose many current Pentax's customers as well as Pentax fans.

But for me, I don't care much about the brand name , I just want good value products which suits my needs. I like the Pentax way and I believe the PENTAX way will be survived forever for whoever own it.

Just grab K-3 or the next RICOH K-2 if it works amazingly for you.
I did that.
10-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #291
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That ME Super looks identical to mine. Are you sure it doesn't have "Asahi Opt Co - Japan" stamped into the bottom of the memo holder (the bit where you can slide the top of your film box into) on the back? On mine it is in pretty small lettering and is not highlighted in a different colour so you do need to look pretty carefully to see it.

You need good light and good eyesight to actually read what it says!
10-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #292

Pure Pentax...and Asahi

Andrew,

You have it exactly right. I was looking for something more robust and forgot about the memo holder!

Name:  Pure Pentax and Asahi.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  280.6 KB

10-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #293
Veteran Member

Which film holder bears the name of the parent company.

Last edited by GeneV; 10-17-2013 at 05:59 PM.
10-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #294
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Andrew,

You have it exactly right. I was looking for something more robust and forgot about the memo holder!

Attachment 191587
That's it mate!

BTW, here's what the branding looks like on my K2
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
10-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #295
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
This thread is depressing.

Tell me about........Only on page 1 here :P
10-17-2013, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #296
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
One - Pentax Ricoh Imaging Corporation was formed in October 2011. In August 2013 that was quietly changed to Ricoh Imaging Company. Why?
Two - Change the name of the website. Ricoh is prominently displayed at the top of the page. The Pentax name still appears on some of the cameras being displayed.
Three - "The company’s goal is to leverage the tremendous strength and awareness of the Ricoh brand along with the superior technical innovation of Pentax products to deliver a world- class consumer experience." This is a quote. The stated intent here is to promote the Ricoh brand using Pentax technology. Pretty clear.
Four - As indicated in the announcement in August 2013 Ricoh puts their brand name in a visible location on the first camera officially distributed after the announcement.
If it were not so sad this entire thread would be funny. Pentax puts out what is arguably the best APS-C camera on the market and certainly the best they have produced and the only flaw that can be debated is that Ricoh was so proud of it they put their name on it.

One - Because it is not Pentax anymore it is Ricoh. Pentax is one brand that Ricoh owns along with a number of others such as: Aficio, Savin, Gestetner, Lanier, Rex-Rotary, Nashuatec, Infotec, and GlobalScan. It appears they merged the new Pentax division with the existing camera lines and formed Ricoh Imaging Company to build cameras. It's their company why would they call it something else?

Two - Because it is not Pentax anymore it is Ricoh, duh.

Three - Because it is not Pentax anymore it is Ricoh. They are the largest copier company in the world. 279th largest company in the world. Have been in business since 1936. Have made cameras since the mid 1950's.

Four - I would be more worried if they did NOT put their name on it. Pentax by itself means the brand is standing alone and will win or lose all by itself, no reflection on the parent company if it fails. Ricoh on the back means the camera has the full faith and pride of the parent company and failure will reflect not only on Pentax but on Ricoh. That is a bold, positive statement that they are proud and confident of the brand and the camera.

Had they been bought by Nikon would you expect the product to not have Nikon on it? Or for them to NOT use the acquired technology to promote the Nikon brand?

Ricoh has a camera history going back just as far as Pentax or Nikon does. Their main business may be copiers but they are not newcomers to the camera business or to the use and value of name brands.

I have as much loyalty or at least affection for the history and story of Pentax as anyone else, but that name is owned by Ricoh now and if in 5 years a DSLR has RICOH on the prism instead of PENTAX, well if it still has k-mount and still takes my lenses then I guess that's what I'll be shooting with.
10-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #297
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Had they been bought by Nikon would you expect the product to not have Nikon on it? Or for them to NOT use the acquired technology to promote the Nikon brand?
I thought we covered this... Mitsubishi owns Nikon. If Nikon owned Pentax, by transitivity Mitsubishi would then own Pentax. Mitsubishi would then have a camera they could finally be proud of, and they would of course plaster Mitsubishi all over it.
10-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #298
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I can count the people I've met that knew about Pentax DSRLs on my fingers.

That would be 3 for me
10-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #299
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
I've spent all day watching this thread, and it's the most fun I've had today!!! Now if anybody is so mad about Ricoh, they are going to dump there equipment? I will gladly take it off your hands, just mail it to me!!!

Same here
10-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #300
Veteran Member

why is this such a big thread