Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #646
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I don't feel that way Pioneer, to me it's more like the OP opened a thread with no particular purpose other than upsetting folks, and instead we're making light of it. I sure don't mean to include you in any collateral damage & sorry if you feel I for one am being mean. I'm not going to ambush anyone around here, my life's too short - and often a bit silly
What he said...

11-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #647
Veteran Member

I won't buy a K-3 because I don't have 1000 posts yet... wait... is that too close to the topic!?
11-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #648
Veteran Member

I won't buy a K-3 because one is enough.
11-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #649
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I won't buy a K-3 because I don't have 1000 posts yet... wait... is that too close to the topic!?
That rules me out, too. Darn! That's three reasons: more camera than I need, more camera than my skill level merits, and not enough posts.

(But that shutter sound, oooooooooh! )

11-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #650
Veteran Member

People who don't accept the RICOH logo on back of the K-3 may as well not accept the camera per se because it's likely that camera would never have existed if Ricoh hadn't come to the party. I see them looking for brand recognition by doing this and it doesn't "feel" right to me either as it seems to be diluting the Pentax brand they were so interested in acquiring. Taking the traditional path (on the base plate) would have seemed a better choice IMO.

As an extreme case, just imagine every 3rd party parts manufacturer placing a prominent logo on every single component that goes into making everything we use.
11-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #651
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
That rules me out, too. Darn! That's three reasons: more camera than I need, more camera than my skill level merits, and not enough posts.

(But that shutter sound, oooooooooh! )
Actually I find my self missing the reassuring ker-chunk of the K-30 and K-r. There are of course some very practical advantages to a quiet shutter.
11-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #652
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
People who don't accept the RICOH logo on back of the K-3 may as well not accept the camera per se because it's likely that camera would never have existed if Ricoh hadn't come to the party. I see them looking for brand recognition by doing this and it doesn't "feel" right to me either as it seems to be diluting the Pentax brand they were so interested in acquiring. Taking the traditional path (on the base plate) would have seemed a better choice IMO.
It's been covered before (done to death actually), but here is a brief synopsis regarding the branding of Pentax cameras.

Pentax is a brand name, not a company name. (Except for a brief period where it was part of the company name).

The brand has been owned by a few different companies. Ricoh is the current owner.

The original Pentax manufacturer Asahi Optical Company branded many of their cameras with Pentax on the prism housing and their company name on the rear. The ME Super for example has Asahi Optical Co clearly stamped into the memo holder on the back of the camera. My K2 also had Asahi Optical Co on the rear of the camera (and Asahi on the prism housing). Photos of both these cameras can be found way back on page 20 of this thread. The Spotmatic also had Asahi Optical Co clearly on the rear of the camera.

So the K3 branding is 'the traditional path' IMO.

11-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #653
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
Actually I find my self missing the reassuring ker-chunk of the K-30 and K-r. There are of course some very practical advantages to a quiet shutter.
Agreed on both counts - and my K-x is actually louder than my K-30. Still, I feel inhibited when the "K-30 sonic boom" echoes around the art museum gallery, and I start thinking about ears instead of eyes.
11-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #654
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Merts Quote
It's been covered before (done to death actually), but here is a brief synopsis regarding the branding of Pentax cameras.

Pentax is a brand name, not a company name. (Except for a brief period where it was part of the company name).

The brand has been owned by a few different companies. Ricoh is the current owner.

The original Pentax manufacturer Asahi Optical Company branded many of their cameras with Pentax on the prism housing and their company name on the rear. The ME Super for example has Asahi Optical Co clearly stamped into the memo holder on the back of the camera. My K2 also had Asahi Optical Co on the rear of the camera (and Asahi on the prism housing). Photos of both these cameras can be found way back on page 20 of this thread. The Spotmatic also had Asahi Optical Co clearly on the rear of the camera.

Though you are technically right, what you have said is a bit misleading.

To start, Asahi Optical Company was Pentax. As time progressed the brand name became far more recognizable than the Company Name. So they changed it and became Pentax. During that period their name appeared in many locations on Pentax cameras including on the front, on the back and likely on the bottom.

Pentax then merged with Hoya, I think around 2006, who later purchased all of the Pentax stock and Pentax became a subsidiary of Hoya. The only location that I have ever found the name Hoya was on the tag located on the bottom plate of the camera though I certainly have not looked at every camera.

Pentax was then purchased from Hoya by Ricoh, which is where we are today. There was the original company and then two subsequent owners. Again, up until the K3, Ricoh had placed their name on the tag located on the baseplate.

I guess I am missing the "tradition" here.

Pentax cameras were sold by, and branded by, both Sears (as Tower) and by Honeywell (as Honeywell Pentax) during the early years when Pentax was trying to get a foothold in the US market. But Pentax was never owned by either of these companies.
11-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #655
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Adding to the other briliant and to the point answers... you can always carve one in it... they also come full framed...
And they are much quieter than the K-x or K-30.

Now carry on with on-topic discussion.
11-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #656
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Merts Quote

Yes yes, I understand all of this but I am still entitled to my opinion.

The K-3 is NOT marketed as a Ricoh Pentax (like Asahi Pentax was) but is marketed as a Ricoh AND a Pentax. That's two different scenarios.

PS: This is the real reason people do not like the RICOH decal on the back. If it said "by RICOH" it might not feel so weird.

PS2: We all know the K-3 is really a Ricoh camera don't we?

Last edited by bossa; 11-20-2013 at 03:43 PM.
11-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #657
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's too close to BOTH topics. SO go make a sandwich and think about it
11-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #658
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
SO go make a sandwich and think about it
A cheese sandwich.
11-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #659
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I guess I am missing the "tradition" here.
You should look at the photos on page 20. It seems pretty obvious to me.
11-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #660
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have bought my second K3 today :-D
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »