Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #796
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I received the Bachelor of Arts in English Language and Literature.

That probably explains a lot.
In all seriousness, could clarify you something for me? I have noticed a trend lately in print, not just on the forums, but the media as well that I believe is improper.

"Pentax are going to introduce new products next month."

insead of

"Pentax is going to introduce new products next month.

Pentax is singular, so I think it should be "Pentax is going................". For "are" to be correct you would have to say something like "The folks at Pentax are going............ (folks being plural, makes the use of "are" correct)

11-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #797
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well there is Honeywell Pentax, Asahai Pentax, Hoya Pentax, and Ricoh Pentax. Maybe they are all in on it.
11-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #798
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Then it would have to be Pentaxes, or the Pentaxes.

This thread are is am really drifting now.
11-22-2013, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #799
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
In all seriousness, could clarify you something for me? I have noticed a trend lately in print, not just on the forums, but the media as well that I believe is improper.

"Pentax are going to introduce new products next month."

insead of

"Pentax is going to introduce new products next month.

Pentax is singular, so I think it should be "Pentax is going................". For "are" to be correct you would have to say something like "The folks at Pentax are going............ (folks being plural, makes the use of "are" correct)
The use of the plural verb for a singular noun which includes a group is mostly a British usage, from what I can gather. "The council have passed next year's budget 7-3." DPR commonly writes this way in their London-based articles. All the Aussies and non-British English-speakers on PF--is this what you do as well?

11-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #800
Pentaxian

Once you start discussing grammar, you know the thread has lost it's power and is slowly dying out. The minutiae of the language has overpowered the force of the idea they express. And the force of the minutiae of the language is minuscule on it's own. I predict the thread will die in about 5 more pages.
11-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #801
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
The use of the plural verb for a singular noun which includes a group is mostly a British usage, from what I can gather.
Well, that explains it. The British never have spoken proper English.

Actually, that is a quite plausible explanation. Thanks!
11-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #802
Pentaxian

The exception being " The folks at Pentax" could be implied but not stated when discussing Pentax.. how would you know it was implied? Because they use "are" instead of "is".

11-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #803
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Once you start discussing grammar, you know the thread has lost it's power and is slowly dying out. The minutiae of the language has overpowered the force of the idea they express. And the force of the minutiae of the language is minuscule on it's own. I predict the thread will die in about 5 more pages.
I fear Norm may be right here, folks. This may be the first case in PF history of a derailed thread getting derailed.

We need to save this thread, so let's get it properly back off track.
11-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #804
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I fear Norm may be right here, folks. This may be the first case in PF history of a derailed thread getting derailed.

We need to save this thread, so let's get it properly back off track.
Nazis!

I'm not calling anyone Nazis; I'm just saying "Nazis!" to make sure that Godwin's Law is followed, in case the thread does die.
11-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #805
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The exception being " The folks at Pentax" could be implied but not stated when discussing Pentax.. how would you know it was implied? Because they use "are" instead of "is".
That is partly true, but suppose we say "Ricoh [is/are] being sued for patent infringement"? Only "is" in this case could be correct because, as it is a corporation, the people of Ricoh are not being sued. The company (singular) "is" being sued.
11-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #806
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Nazis!

I'm not calling anyone Nazis; I'm just saying "Nazis!" to make sure that Godwin's Law is followed, in case the thread does die.
Well, in that spirit..............

I hope Pentax makes a full frame soon so people can take pictures with zero DOF. (Yes, makes, not make.)
11-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #807
Pentaxian

That is partly true, but suppose we say "Ricoh [is/are] being sued for patent infringement"? Only "is" in this case could be correct because, as it is a corporation, the people of Ricoh are not being sued. The company (singular) "is" being sued.
I think the issue is resolved, and my brain hurts. Now what was that about Tokyo being destroyed?
11-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #808
Pentaxian

And I hope (the folks at) Pentax make an FF soon.
11-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #809
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, in that spirit..............

I hope Pentax makes a full frame soon. (Yes, makes, not make.)
Good, thanks, I thought FF had been covered, but I wasn't sure.

Also, the "clunk" when you turn on a Pentax is normal.
11-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #810
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

And I hope (the folks at) Pentax make an FF soon.
You mean "makes a FF soon, right?