Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
WRONG THREAD! Move to..."Why I will not buy the K-3"

12-30-2013, 07:19 AM   #2312
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
We have 13,000 people and a surrounding population of about another 3 or 4 thousand, most of whom think Green Acres is a documentary. It seems that everyone who's family presence in the area goes back 30-40 years or more is related by blood to everyone else with the same history. We are 35 miles from an Intersate highway. We are 160 miles from anyplace with a greater population. 2 years ago we went to buy a Christmas tree 2 weeks before Christmas and there were none. I could go on but it's not good for my blood pressure.
I thought those were features.`

Where my daughter lives 13,000 people could easily reside on 40 acres.
12-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #2313
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I thought those were features.`

Where my daughter lives 13,000 people could easily reside on 40 acres.
Honestly, sometimes they are. It just depends on my grouch level on any given day.

I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area, I lived for 2 years in Southern California, and in NYC for several months so I've seen the other side as well.
12-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #2314
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do what Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill did - get some magazine to declare the area one of the "best places to live". Then everyone will come live there. Then it won't be.

12-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #2315
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It seems that everyone who's family presence in the area goes back 30-40 years or more is related by blood to everyone else with the same history
You know you're a redneck when you go to family reunions to look for dates!!
12-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #2316
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Honestly, sometimes they are. It just depends on my grouch level on any given day.

I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area, I lived for 2 years in Southern California, and in NYC for several months so I've seen the other side as well.
I have a college buddy who lives up there somewhere. His thermometer is a bottle of Stoly on the back porch. When the Stoly freezes it is cold outside. Otherwise not.

Anyone who lives in that sort of place is entitled to a grouch every now and then.
12-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #2317
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have a college buddy who lives up there somewhere. His thermometer is a bottle of Stoly on the back porch. When the Stoly freezes it is cold outside. Otherwise not.

Anyone who lives in that sort of place is entitled to a grouch every now and then.
I use a weather rock. (small rock suspended by a string.) If the rock is moving, it's windy, if it's not, it's calm out. If the rock is wet it's raining, if it's dry it's not. If the rock is white, it's snowing, if it's hot, it's a hot day, if it's cold, it's a cold day, warm is somewhere in between. WAY better accuracy than any weatherman.

12-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #2318
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the rock is missing - tornado warning!
12-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #2319
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We have 13,000 people and a surrounding population of about another 3 or 4 thousand, most of whom think Green Acres is a documentary. It seems that everyone who's family presence in the area goes back 30-40 years or more is related by blood to everyone else with the same history. We are 35 miles from an Intersate highway. We are 160 miles from anyplace with a greater population. 2 years ago we went to buy a Christmas tree 2 weeks before Christmas and there were none. I could go on but it's not good for my blood pressure.
We have 1,100 people and a surrounding population of zero, most of whom think that Southerns are a separate species. If you back 30-40 years ther is a good chane you were born in a tent or an igluviak (igloo). We're an hour's flight from the territorial capital, Iqaluit, with a population of 8,000 and where you can get beer that was brought in by sealift 6 months ago and has reached it's stale date. I could go on but ...
12-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #2320
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We are in a bit of a resort town, skiing in winter, fishing & hiking in summer. So the population is well, variable. Monday through Friday you can stroll across the main road and wave at the occasional car with people you know. Friday night through Sunday night you might have to wait 5 - 10 minutes just to be able to get your car across the road, don't even think about walking across, you won't make it.

It's the tourist traffic that brings in the money but boy are we glad they go back to the city and leave us alone every Sunday night. And the nearest Walmart is about an hour and half drive........
WAY better accuracy than any weatherman.
What's a weatherman?
Our weather is gradually increasing rain followed by gradually diminishing rain. With occasional fog and mist for variability. It's sort of like living under one of those translucent Tupperware bowls. If you go high enough on the mountain you can get above the cloud layer and see the sun. I did it once, it was bright..........
12-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #2321
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
What's a weatherman? .....
It's a member of a profession which was invented by mystics, astrologers, and palm readers so there would be those next to whom they would look credible.
12-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #2322
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a weather rock. (small rock suspended by a string.) If the rock is moving, it's windy, if it's not, it's calm out. If the rock is wet it's raining, if it's dry it's not. If the rock is white, it's snowing, if it's hot, it's a hot day, if it's cold, it's a cold day, warm is somewhere in between. WAY better accuracy than any weatherman.
If the rock is on the ground those darned Cub Scouts must have messed with the weather rock again.
12-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #2323
Pentaxian

It's a member of a profession which was invented by mystics, astrologers, and palm readers so there would be those next to whom they would look credible.
I see you've worked in television too. We had a weatherman who would still consult the "free" online WX map services even though we spent nearly $150,000 on his own radar and weather gear.
12-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #2324
Veteran Member

Who also must receive a commission on the milk and bread sold after dramatic weather forecast. I'm so darned tired of the drama queens doing the news and weather.
12-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #2325
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Do what Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill did - get some magazine to declare the area one of the "best places to live". Then everyone will come live there. Then it won't be.

Just like Charlotte.......