Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
12-31-2013, 10:57 PM   #2446
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
You cannot get out.
You will sink deeper and deeper.
An irrational thought. We are fast approaching the 'event horizon', the point at which time is frozen and no matter or energy is released or accreted. Only the odd gamma burst as a last hurrah. Aw, the heck with it - Happy New Year!

12-31-2013, 11:05 PM   #2447
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hard to say - I don't remember any prices for Fs when new (late 80s-early 90s), and they would have to be adjusted to 2014 dollars.

I'd say most of those lenses are better than the current kit zooms, but 80s zooms weren't steller. Comparing Fields of View (not focal lengths, since all bodies were FF then and all are APS-C now), you could cover the entire range with the DA 18-135 and probably have comparable IQ. Throw in a DA 35/2.4 or DA 50/1.8 for a couple hundred bucks to replace the F 50/1.7; your lens kit is less than $800.

OR, you could cover the range with a couple DA* lenses and the FA 31 Ltd for the prime, have superb IQ, and pay several times as much.
12-31-2013, 11:19 PM   #2448
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Comparing Fields of View (not focal lengths, since all bodies were FF then and all are APS-C now), you could cover the entire range with the DA 18-135 and probably have comparable IQ.
Probably true. With the possible exception of the 35-70 and the 24-50 none of those are remarkable. I do like the 70-210 but honestly it's not in the same ball park as the 60-250. The primes on the other hand hold their own rather well. The 28mm is excellent and so is the 50mm. I have not really tested the 50mm macro enough yet, it just came this week. I would really like to get a copy of the 135mm but every one I've seen has gone for silly money.
12-31-2013, 11:24 PM   #2449
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well folks that's all for me tonight. I know we are supposed to stay up and drink libations or watch some fool thing drop but I'm off to bed. I've never noticed that the next day was particularly different than the one before it so I'm not expecting anything special for tomorrow. Except that breakfast is New Year's pretzel instead of eggs and toast so I guess that's something.......

And I guess it means a couple of things on the Ricoh road map for 2013 or later are actually going to be later............

01-01-2014, 12:36 AM - 1 Like   #2450
Veteran Member

Happy new year!! Well, it's a little late for most but I'm still up and since I visit PF almost every night, I thought I'd wish those of you that participant in this goofy thread a happy new year... Because honestly, it's the kind of lack of over-seriousness exhibited in this thread that makes this forum one of my favorites.
01-01-2014, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #2451

Stranded in Tombstone at 1500 hour October 26th 1881 STOP Black Hole sucked STOP No way out STOP Send Colt 44, cartridges, K-3 and moustache STOP Beware STOP Dr. Who not real STOP

Last edited by Ztrejfer; 01-01-2014 at 08:52 AM.
01-01-2014, 05:57 AM   #2452
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, I think we managed to saturate this thread, time to move on.
Now we need to populate this one, I am doing my best:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/241198-k3-sample-shots-post-here-49.html
after all K-3 is the best DSLR of 2013!

and yes I did have some smoked cheese and will have some ice-cream soon........

Last edited by i_trax; 01-01-2014 at 06:53 AM.
01-01-2014, 06:29 AM   #2453
Site Supporter

Don't forget the bacon!
01-01-2014, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #2454
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
THoog,
actually, I couldn't see much connection between the two threads.
I assumed the mod (the irrepressible Parallax, who has obviously lost complete control of this thread and deserves a pay rise of several %) was just trying to add to the post numbers trying to get to some indeterminable number by New Year.
Coming back to the research question; if there is any connection between breakfasts had and lenses purchased, jatrax seems to have a serious problem, (but Pentax may no longer be doomed).
Lost control? That would imply that I, or anyone else, ever had control. This thread is a leviathan feeding on the emotions of the millions, nay billions, of people who are outraged that the owner of a company had the gall to put its name on its product. Those otherwise sane and rational people, in their grief and dispair have been rendered incapable of rational communication so have sought solice and refuge in this thread.
Now, I've tried to mitigate all of this by making only pertinent, informative, and sensible posts here, but alas, I feel that it has been to no avail. The siren song of this thread is irresistable to Ricoh weary members in their hour of need. Pentax is doomed.

(One member was so distressed by the situation that he actually registered an additional user name of PentaxIsDoomed. Quite tragic, really. )

We now return you to your regularly scheduled cheese (and bacon) sandwiches.

Last edited by Parallax; 01-01-2014 at 06:58 AM.
01-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #2455

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Well, they say that what you're doing on New Year's is what you'll be doing all year long. I have worked every New Year's Eve/Day since I became a nurse.
Gosh I really hope not as I'm still bed warming in hospital! I'd say I spent enough time in here to cover me for many many years. Today is day 32 (not that I'm counting the days like being incarcerated).
01-01-2014, 08:46 AM   #2456
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately, in over 2000 posts, we keep coming back to the same conclusion as the original discussions: Pentax is doomed. However, we have determined that Tokyo, and in fact, the entire galaxy are also doomed, so the doom of Pentax may just be part of a larger, more general doom.
THoog, you got that wrong. it is correctly OneWord.

PentaxIsDoomed!
01-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #2457
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
(One member was so distressed by the situation that he actually registered an additional user name of PentaxIsDoomed. Quite tragic, really. )
Reportedly, the Mods put a stop to that little bit of humor in short order.
01-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #2458
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
THoog, you got that wrong. it is correctly OneWord.
I inserted the spaces for clarity, as being merged into The Thread was probably confusing enough. No infringement was intended.

Shouldn't it be PentaxIsDoomed(tm)?
01-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #2459
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I inserted the spaces for clarity, as being merged into The Thread was probably confusing enough. No infringement was intended.

Shouldn't it be PentaxIsDoomed(tm)?
I was thinking about that while watching the Trader Joe's

float go by on the Parade.

Great minds, and all that!

PentaxIsDoomed
01-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #2460
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In 1990, "the "Asahi" name and "AOCo" logo was removed from the pentaprism cover to de-emphasize the company name in keeping with the rest of the "Pentax" line." If you're old enough, you might remember this.