Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2014, 04:11 PM   #2686
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whatever. I live here. It's cold for us and and the snow is deep. We're talking once-a-generation extremes. My wife and I recall our junior and senior years in High School we had epic river flooding in the spring, then this kind of cold and snow in the winter. First we sandbagged, then we served dinners at the shelters. IIRC my ponytail was longer than hers.

You Dakota and Minnesota types can laugh all you want but I have to get clothes out of the cedar chest just to take the Recycling Bin down to the street. Heck, I have to shovel the Recycling Bin out of the spot by the door to take it down to the street. I say again, this wasn't written in the Pernament Residency Clause of the Occupancy Permit in 1977.

Freaky internet connection. We know it is cold here when you can walk across the MississippiFreakingRiiver. It is about 1000 yards wide here. Can't quite walk yet - but Tuesday morning - who Knows?

I smell bacon, so I'll be signing off now.

[EDIT: Daughter #2 made breakfast for dinner. 2 over easy, hashed-browns and BACON!!]

Last edited by monochrome; 01-05-2014 at 05:23 PM.
01-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #2687
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
At those temps no so good if you value the equipment.
I spent 4 years in Fairbanks, Alaska. I have experienced, on rare occasions, sub -60 temps, and sub -50 was routine. You are absolutely right. Im sure everyone has heard the expression "some things just cant wait". Well, sometimes some things just have to wait.

Last edited by Parallax; 01-05-2014 at 04:31 PM.
01-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #2688
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

True dat. You just have to be quick.
01-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #2689
Veteran Member

I know. I use the sprint out and shoot technique. Outside for maybe thirty seconds. The camera kit does not chill as quickly as boiling water flung up from a coffee cup.

01-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #2690
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anything nearing -40 deserves respect. Be safe out there folks.
edit: not counting windchill

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 01-05-2014 at 04:49 PM.
01-05-2014, 05:06 PM   #2691
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
At my home slightly north of the 47th Parallel on Lower Ten Mile Lake Road in Minnesota, dawn temp was -38F. Right now it has warmed to the daytime high of -18F. No Texas cheese hounds out and about. And too cold for my beloved DA Limited lenses. Aluminum body will precipitate water when brought back inside. I use one gallon freezer bags to stash the camera and lens outside so condensation only occurs on the outside of the Baggie, but at this temp the ziplock fractures. And that is why I won't buy a K3---this month.
Why not move up here the Arctic? We were a balmy -3F today and sunny. Since the beginning of December we've had a little less than an inch of snow. Hope the Big Gulp keeps sucking our weather down there. But if it sucks up our weather, where does our weather come from? The Moon? Can't believe that cause it doesn't have weather; it's made of blue cheese. Of course, Winnipeg was colder on Saturday than the daytime temperature on Mars but they deserve it for flooding Canada with ton after ton of glutinous sausage. (They do make great bacons and cheeses however.)

Last edited by jac; 01-05-2014 at 05:18 PM.
01-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #2692

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Tonight it is expected to go down to -34C (-29F) with windchill they are saying it will drop to -48C (-54.4F). I can't wait for spring!

01-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #2693
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Why not move up here the Arctic. We were a balmy -3F today and sunny. Since the beginning of December we've had a little less than an inch of snow. Hope the Big Gulp keeps sucking our weather down there. But if it sucks up our weather, ehere does our weather come from? The Moon? Can't believe that cause it doesn't have weather; it's made of blue cheese.
You might have the answer that I am looking for, forget Google, no help there.
Being as close to the arctic circle that you are, have you ever experienced a failure of a gasoline powered engine to start, due to low temperature, meaning that the fuel just went thru carburetor, cylinders and out the tailpipe?
Thanks.
01-05-2014, 05:24 PM   #2694
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Daughter #2 made breakfast for dinner. 2 over easy, hashed-browns and BACON!!
01-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #2695
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Daughter #2 made breakfast for dinner. 2 over easy, hashed-browns and BACON!!
Fantastic. We are having chili to fight off the chill
01-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #2696
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
-1F currently 30mph winds. Lovely!! Not going to try the yellow snow trick for reasons obvious to me!! Going to have leftovers and string cheese tonight.
01-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #2697
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
You might have the answer that I am looking for, forget Google, no help there.
Being as close to the arctic circle that you are, have you ever experienced a failure of a gasoline powered engine to start, due to low temperature, meaning that the fuel just went thru carburetor, cylinders and out the tailpipe?
Thanks.
At 47 degrees north latitude the gasoline occasionally will not vaporize. Car is then dead in a zombie fashion awaiting wake up signal of warmer temps. But mostly, gas engines work. Diesels not so,well. The fuel congeals in the fuel filter.
01-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #2698
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
At 47 degrees north latitude the gasoline occasionally will not vaporize. Car is then dead in a zombie fashion awaiting wake up signal of warmer temps. But mostly, gas engines work. Diesels not so,well. The fuel congeals in the fuel filter.
Diesels work okay IF you use straight #1 diesel, aka kerosene. The problem is it's more expensive and doesn't take you nearly as far per gallon as #2.

5 days to make 302 posts. We can do it!
01-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #2699
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reason for asking was that this happened to me.
To this date I have no idea how cold it actually got that night...
Reports had it around - 30 something... with 40+ km per hour wind. All I know is that my `67 SLANT BACK just pump raw gasoline out the tailpipe.,

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 01-05-2014 at 06:51 PM.
01-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #2700
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fuel injection has helped a lot with the cold. My van will complain but always start!