Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #2791
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Back in 1969, my university days, I had a 1949 Dodge flat-head 8 which I bought for $25 with a rad with so many holes I just drained it out every night a filled in with tap water on the next trip, usually to the pub. One night I forgot and it froze and croaked the block. Managed to get it started a drove to a junk yard where it died right in the middle of the entrance-way. But I talked them into $15 for it because it was in good running order - I drove it down, didn't I?
Invested the $15 in Labatt's Breweries through a third-party pub.
Good story and good outcome. Per the new rules, I will not buy a K3 until LaBatts is sold in Minnesota. Guess what? LaBatts has been sold here since I was getting beer illegally in (well you don't need to know that).

If LaBatts is sold in Montreal, then I will buy a K3.

Dick

01-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #2792
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
I'll desist on the double-entendres in the fly-fishing memoir...(socks? what have socks got to do with it?...never mind).

I won't be getting a K3 because I can't afford it right now. Next month? Doubtful, alas.
Sock footed waders. The wader soles gave one tactile sensation and the socks were insulation. Yellowstone River after spring flood is about 40 degrees. Feet get cold.

And that is why I will not buy a K3. This week.

Dick
01-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #2793
Pentaxian

Heh. I won't buy a K-3 because my K100D and my little Oly XZ-1 are both capable of taking pictures beyond my ability, so as long as they keep chuggin' along I'll keep using them... Until then, I have other hobbies I can spend money on!

Mmmmm cheese... And "Pussy Galore"

Jim
01-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #2794
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Good story and good outcome. Per the new rules, I will not buy a K3 until LaBatts is sold in Minnesota. Guess what? LaBatts has been sold here since I was getting beer illegally in (well you don't need to know that).

If LaBatts is sold in Montreal, then I will buy a K3.

Dick
LaBatt's is sold in Montreal by surly waiters who remain at your table with their hand out, waiting to be bribed to leave you alone. Montreal also has boutiques sellings wonderful International cheeses even if they do miss-spell the word as fromage.
On the weather front, we are expecting winds up to 135 kmh tomorrow, compliments of a weather system moving up from Quebec which moved up from New England which moved in from the mid-West which was blamed on an Arctic cold-front which moved in from the Arctic which will get replaced by this system which I guess will move South again and get blamed on us up here. Keep your darned weather to yourselves and leave us in peace up here, would ya.
On the cheese front, we're having spaghetti liberally topped with grated Mozzarella made from whey, gluten and modified milk ingredients.
On the Bond front, all on them had spectacular fronts although Ursula Undress (as we called her back in the day) was a particular favourite.

Last edited by jac; 01-06-2014 at 04:04 PM.
01-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #2795
Veteran Member

No gluten permitted. That is "off thread" but disgusting. As a Minnesotan, I may have eaten gluten. Or not. I don't think it existed for school lunches back then.

And the possibility of Gluten is why I won't buy a K3 this month.
01-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #2796
Veteran Member

Is Quebec French? Seems like the same waiters from your description. I have a few phrases of French, from a French language class I took to meet girls back in those days. Well of course, Quebec is French speaking. Been to Montreal and a cute B&B south of the city. Great folks. Treated us like themselves and the food was incredible. I have to say Quebec was wonderful and the people most hospitable.

And that is why I will not buy a K3.
01-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #2797
Veteran Member

New readers to this thread are advised to substitute thread for door in this brief introduction video.

01-06-2014, 04:28 PM   #2798
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Keep your darned weather to yourselves and leave us in peace up here, would ya.
The weather dude here just blamed this on an Arctic Low that has moved much farther south than normal for this time of year, caused by the astonishing buildup in Arctic Sea Ice this winter - fastest and largest in measured history - as a result of Global Warming.

I kid you not.
01-06-2014, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #2799
Site Supporter

So, I'm freezing my "books" off in Alabama because of global warming?
01-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #2800
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The weather dude here just blamed this on an Arctic Low that has moved much farther south than normal for this time of year, caused by the astonishing buildup in Arctic Sea Ice this winter - fastest and largest in measured history - as a result of Global Warming.

I kid you not.
This is predicated on the premise that there are only so many degrees on earth to go around. Therefore, if one area is warmer than it was yesterday it's because it robbed degrees from some other region which is then, as a consequence of having degrees solen from it, colder than normal. Quite simple, really. That big yellow ball that appears on the Eastern horizon every morning is only decorative.
01-06-2014, 04:41 PM   #2801
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
No, no, it's no longer Global Warming, it's now "climate change". That way, no matter what happens, everybody's right, and somebody's at fault.

Last edited by Parallax; 01-06-2014 at 04:55 PM.
01-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #2802
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The big yellow ball which we will not see tomorrow because of the blizzard sent to us from Quebec, sent to them by the good folks in Passadumkeaq, Maine, which came via the Cheese Heads in Wisconsin, which came from ....
Well you get the picture.
But we have a pound of thick-sliced, real-smoke bacon in the fridge for the siege. Gluten-free bacon. Yummy.
01-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #2803
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Ding-ding-ding-ding! You're a WINNER!!!! Soon the poor polar bears won't have any ocean to swim in because it will all be frozen!!! Then they will stand by intersections and beg for cheese!!!! That is why I won't buy a K-3!!
01-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #2804
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Ding-ding-ding-ding! You're a WINNER!!!! Soon the poor polar bears won't have any ocean to swim in because it will all be frozen!!! Then they will stand by intersections and beg for cheese!!!! That is why I won't buy a K-3!!
Boing. Wrong. Polar bears hunt from the ice and only go begging in towns (for igunaq, a cheese-tasting treat) when there is NO ice on the ocean.
01-06-2014, 05:22 PM   #2805
Pentaxian

I'm not going to buy a K-3 because PFFFT that's last year's model.

(Also because I'm going to fund it by selling my K-5 and some old lenses, and I haven't done that yet.)
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »