Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #2806
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
II won't buy a K3 because nobody knows nuthin'

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
This is predicated on the premise that there are only so many degrees on earth to go around. Therefore, if one area is warmer than it was yesterday it's because it robbed degrees from some other region which is then, as a consequence of having degrees solen from it, colder than normal. Quite simple, really. That big yellow ball that appears on the Eastern horizon every morning is only decorative.
Ah, I got it. But I thought the whole idea is that we were adding degrees to the system.

So those scientists studying global warming in Antarctica that unexpectedly got caught in the South Polar Ice got caught because the Southern Hemisphere stole all the extra degrees from the Northern Hemisphere. FWIW the same weather dude just said (round 2 of weather - we are in "Storm Mode" on all the locals) the Arctic Low is called the Polar Vortex. Normally it just circles the North Pole, but Global Warming has allowed it to wander down to about Toronto.

I suppose i knew English wasn't a useful Major, but who could have guessed I should have chosen Climate Science. In 1975 that was only for athletes.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a financial quant. An associate left Scripps because he got married and decided he needed a lifestyle and came into my field. He had done extensive quantitative analysis of ocean levels. He says they are, in fact, rising. But neither he nor anyone else knows why, nor whether it is normal.

But this is like P&R, so if you want to delete, go ahead.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-06-2014 at 05:36 PM.
01-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #2807
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Boing. Wrong. Polar bears hunt from the ice and only go begging in towns (for igunaq, a cheese-tasting treat) when there is NO ice on the ocean.
Polar bears cover their black noses with a paw while stalking seals on the ice. Keeps the seals from looking up and saying, "hey a black nose in he snow, this could e a problem."

With the loss of Arctic sea ice, will we have white bears eating dachsunds?

And that is why I won't buy a K3 today.
01-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #2808
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ah, I got it. But I thought the whole idea is that we were adding degrees to the system.

So those scientists studying global warming in Antarctica that unexpectedly got caught in the South Polar Ice got caught because the Southern Hemisphere stole all the extra degrees from the Northern Hemisphere. FWIW the same weather dude just said (round 2 of weather - we are in "Storm Mode" on all the locals) the Arctic Low is called the Polar Vortex. Normally it just circles the North Pole, but Global Warming has allowed it to wander down to about Toronto.

I suppose i knew English wasn't a useful Major, but who could have guessed I should have chosen Climate Science. In 1975 that was only for athletes.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a financial quant. An associate left Scripps because he got married and decided he needed a lifestyle and came into my field. He had done extensive quantitative analysis of ocean levels. He says they are, in fact, rising. But neither he nor anyone else knows why, nor whether it is normal.

Just photograph the rising sea levels and occasional storm surges that wipe out your local Starbucks.

And that is why I may not buy a K3 until next month. (must keep on thread, BTW).
01-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #2809
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't forget Siberia - they are having a much milder winter than usual, for whatever that's worth.

The idea that a complex system with more energy in it can have more dramatic fluctuations is not unreasonable to me. That said, they can find an "expert" to link anything to anything - like the stock market reports where the market is UP for some reason, when this morning they said it was DOWN for the exact same reason. I wish they'd quit trying to say why, because they obviously don't know.

The part of the debate that concerns me is that we should have adequate plans for when things don't follow the patterns we are used to. But that's work and goes beyond the current electoral cycle, so like me getting a K-3, it probably won't happen.

01-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #2810
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Boing. Wrong. Polar bears hunt from the ice and only go begging in towns (for igunaq, a cheese-tasting treat) when there is NO ice on the ocean.
Does that mean I don't win the cheese tray??? That's why I won't buy a K-3!!
01-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #2811
Veteran Member

Adding BTUs to the system has been going on since England began burning coal to fuel steam, in about 1650, or slightly earlier. So now we have a runaway potential from all of us eating too much cheese. Actually the global crisis is caused by the popularity of Argyle socks in England, which led to enormous demands on Limited color dyes from India, causing in turn a disruption of the global tectononic plates at the intersection of the Indian subcontinent and the Indonesian Plate. All earthquakes in Indonesia are caused by the Argyle sock dye disruption (AKA the ASD). Look it up. Nat Geo has an issue planned on this topic, I think. Any of us who can photo an Argyle sock plugging a volcano will become richer than Croesus (who is he, by the way?)

And that is why I won't buy a K3 tomorrow.

Let the Aussie herd the sheep and we should buy the K3.
01-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #2812
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Does that mean I don't win the cheese tray???
One of my D800 Scouting buddies is having his annual get-together Saturday night and emailed to remind me I volunteered to bring some sort of food item. I was sort of stumped, (bacon weinies? chili?) but you've given me my "AHA" moment - a Cheese Tray and Triscuits (and Wheat Thins).

Why I won't sell a bunch of stuff and get the 60~250 to go with . . . . . no, I won't go there.

01-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #2813
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ooh, ooh, try the new Sweet Onion Triscuits. They're delicious.

Oops, sorry. I forgot. I won't buy a K-3 because I spent all of my money on crackers and cheese.
01-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #2814
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Be proud, everyone. This thread is starting to have an effect out there in the real world.

2013 Was Big Year for Naming Your Baby 'Cheese' -- Daily Intelligencer
At least they didn't name the babies "Gorgonzola"
01-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #2815
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Done!!
01-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #2816
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Adding BTUs to the system has been going on since England began burning coal to fuel steam, in about 1650, or slightly earlier. So now we have a runaway potential from all of us eating too much cheese. Actually the global crisis is caused by the popularity of Argyle socks in England, which led to enormous demands on Limited color dyes from India, causing in turn a disruption of the global tectononic plates at the intersection of the Indian subcontinent and the Indonesian Plate. All earthquakes in Indonesia are caused by the Argyle sock dye disruption (AKA the ASD). Look it up. Nat Geo has an issue planned on this topic, I think. Any of us who can photo an Argyle sock plugging a volcano will become richer than Croesus (who is he, by the way?)

And that is why I won't buy a K3 tomorrow.

Let the Aussie herd the sheep and we should buy the K3.
Monochrome, English may have been the best choice. The words of The Bard. The stories of Hemingway and Fitzgerald. Old English reproductions of actual speech. The novellas and novels of Jim Harrison and Thomas McGuane. The novels of Hemingway. But I digress.

I will not buy a K3 until Hemingway publishes a novel about Ansel Adams.

Actually, this book is available on Amazon from one of their gray market sellers.

So I will not buy a K3 until Amazon surrenders the Ansel Adams novel. Or, until scholars prove that Hemingway and Adams never met and that Hemingway used a Polaroid point and shoot.

Or until next month. That K3 looks sweet.
01-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #2817
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
but you've given me my "AHA" moment
Glad to be of service.
01-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #2818
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why I won't buy a K-3....

a) because I will rent one
b) because I will steal one
c) because I will find one in a pawn shop overlooked by the shop owner
d) because I will trick a Pentax user out of one
e) because I will create one using a 3-D printer (THEY can do ANYTHING!)
f) because I will lose so much weight on the South Beach diet I am trying that I lack the strength to hold one
g) because of cheese...somehow
01-06-2014, 06:38 PM   #2819
Site Supporter

Oops, sorry. I forgot. I won't buy a K-3 because I spent all of my money on crackers and cheese.

I won't buy a K-3 because I am holding out for a K-2 ff. Okay, I will go to my room now.

Mouse
01-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #2820
Site Supporter

Ooh! I remember when Polaroid debuted a nifty new model in maybe the late 80s or early 90s. It was pretty cool for a Polaroid!