Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2014, 09:53 PM   #2851
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
Nah, they are guessing I had a virus attack my heart but they aren't 100% sure.

As for home cooking... I have to be careful I lost 20 lbs while I was in hospital and I don't want them back.
Honey, that 20lbs was a LOT of lean mass loss. Probably 5-8lbs was water. 1-2lbs of fat. The rest was muscle mass loss from lack of use.

01-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #2852
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
This thread is like a horrible novel that you can`t put down, I`m afraid if I don`t check in every hour or so I will lose track so badly I won`t be able to recover. And if I don`t keep up I might inadvertently reply to a cheese post only to discover we are actually talking about dogs.
No, this thread IS a horror novel written, as we post, by hundreds of naked apes, and yes, you can't put it down.

When you finally fall asleep this evening from total exhaustion from reading post after post after post, you will fall so far behind in this thread that you will despair of ever finding its true meaning.
01-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #2853
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If we can get a few more naked apes on the job, I think we will type the Complete Works of Shakespeare through random chance. That, or a better K-3 manual. Either way is fine.
01-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #2854
Veteran Member

Igunaq is fermented walrus or polar bear meat buried in permafrost for storage by Innuit hunters (wickepedia et al.). There is no equivalent deli meat in the lower 48. Fermentation, aka "aging" is done to animal flesh in many cultures. Wild game is "hung" to tenderize it. Grouse,,ducks, and other game birds are routinely "hung" in a cool place to tenderize the meat. Venison is also aged in this way at temps about like a refrigerator. Deep freezing of animal flesh for months in permafrost appears to be an arctic circle practice. My folks came from north of Tromso in Norway and from far northern Finland where there are few towns to identify origins.

Iqunaq is a wonderful method to preserve walrus or other animal flesh without mechanical refrigeration.

01-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #2855
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That's right, Waterfall. Start reading from the beginning. There will be a test tomorrow.
See latest post regarding fermented walrus.
01-06-2014, 10:55 PM   #2856
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
You lose. You will now have to start at the beginning again. Like snakes and ladders or, as it is known in this thread, bacon and cheese (string cheese of course). We should be around the 3K mark by the time you get back here.
No, I do not have to start at the beginning. That would be for fools. I have learned about fermented walrus meat preserved in permafrost and my great, great grandparents did the same with cod and reindeer. Thank you for this info, it brought my own sub-arctic heritage into micro focus.
01-06-2014, 11:04 PM   #2857
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Figured out how to post a picture from the tablet. Sometimes I am so techno-savy I scare myself, it only took two days.

01-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #2858
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Figured out how to post a picture from the tablet. Sometimes I am so techno-savy I scare myself, it only took two days.

As I said before about your first posted photo, your dog is beautiful. And the photo is well done. Sage can visit my home tomorrow!
01-06-2014, 11:28 PM   #2859
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is a Pentax film camera made in the 1970s. Ricoh made one with similar capabilities which I already own and that is why I won't buy a K-3 or a K2.

Steve
Huh, I thought K2 was a mountain in the Himalayas... Where the sherpas raise yetis and make cheese from their milk, which is disgusting I refuse to buy a K3!

Jim
01-06-2014, 11:29 PM   #2860
Pentaxian

Just been banging about in this very LONG thread ... and well, it's nuts ... fun loving nuts, but 100% crazed at times ... I won't get a K-3 because I still have over a year and a half of warranty left on the four-year warrranty of my K-5 classic and it suits my current needs quite well ... I going shoot (run) it into the ground ... 100,000 clicks, here we come !... J
01-06-2014, 11:53 PM   #2861
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Yossarian would be at home here.
Yossarrian would point out that We are doomed. And complaining about our doom-ness makes the doctors think we are crazy. But if we,think we are crazy, then we really are sane in an insane world. That was Catch 22. A soldier who knew the war was crazy was declared to be sane under Catch 22 of,the Uniform Code of Military Justice: Of course,the war was insane. Only a crazy man would not see it. Therefore anyone claiming to be nuts because of the war, was obviously sane under Catch 22 and was fit for,duty. Only the insane would not see this truth and they did not bitch. So they could be excused from duty if and only if they could demonstrate battle fatigue insanity. But if they claimed battle fatigue, that meant hey were really sane because they wanted to get out of,the war.

This was Catch 22. Only the normals had the ability to judge the war. If they wanted out, they were by definition sane,under,Catch 22 because only lunatics would not recognize the insanity of world war. And the nutcases kept on

Not saying this was accurate for most GIs. But the novel certainly had a lot of truth. And Yossarian perched naked in an olive tree as the B25s came back to the base, trying to prove he was nuts enough to go home and being put back into duty because he was sane enough to want to go Home, was the truth of the story. Catch 22: only those who do not want to run away are considered to be nuts and if they stay, they are not nuts. Catch 22.
01-06-2014, 11:56 PM   #2862
Veteran Member

Oops. forgot this.

That is why I am not buying a K3 today.
01-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #2863
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
About 4 pages ago someone asked 'what is a wombat?'
I think that was the question and I'm not 'wasting' time going back to check!
So I am going to tell you anyway.
Wombats are Australian marsupials that resemble furry rocks. They wander across the road at night - without looking to the left and to the right and to the left again, as I was taught - and do big damage to the front end of the vehicle that fails to swerve around them. They don't just LOOK like rocks, they are ACT like rocks when coming into contact with cars.
01-07-2014, 12:28 AM   #2864
Veteran Member

Maybe this entire thread is lost, without translation.

And that is why I will not buy a K3 until tomorrow or next month. Whichever. Too cold for a new camera now. I would treat her like a baby for the first month, then get into rain and dirt. Like life. Only no fermented walrus meat in the camera bag. Never tasted it. Might be good, like lutefisk, which I do not consider edible. But I am in a minority among relatives. Some of them like reindeer jerky and Lutefisk is epidemic in Minnesota at this time of rhe year. And so I,cannot buy a K3 until the relatives stop eating that stuff.
01-07-2014, 04:47 AM   #2865
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To waterfall: If you are interested about how GI's thought and felt during WWII, see if you can find Bill Mauldin's book Up Front. Very simple and extremely funny, and about the best glimpse into a world foreign to anybody not there.