Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2014, 08:41 AM   #3241
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
The Bible was written in the King's spoken English long before it became fashionable to brew tea in the salt-water of Boston Harbour. If it was good enough for God, you would think it should be acceptable to an American.
It probably wouldn't be acceptable to King James himself, either, if he were alive today. Bible translations have almost always been done in the "language of the day". If King James commissioned the C of E today, no doubt the result would be very different even considering all bona fide translations start with the original (or as close to it as available) writings in Hebrew, Greek, and to a very minor extend, Aramaic.

01-13-2014, 08:50 AM   #3242
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We're getting dangerously close to turning this into a religious discussion, which is prohibited by forum rules. Let's get away from the Bible and religion or the thread is done.

Seriously. I'm saying that as a moderator, not as a thread participant.
01-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #3243
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
We're getting dangerously close to turning this into a religious discussion, which is prohibited by forum rules. Let's get away from the Bible and religion or the thread is done.
Cool Beans!!! I for one don't want anything to happen to this thread!!! Although it is too bad that a few had to mess it up for the many!! A rousing P&R discussion can really be fun if it doesn't turn mean!!

P.S I do think the intent was to show the silliness of English! So we just need to go another direction with that!
01-13-2014, 09:09 AM   #3244
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Are you seriously suggesting that the apostrophe does not mean "look out, here comes an s!"??

I mean, "here come's an s!" - it's not only for plurals
No! It means "something's [something is] missing, or a possessive... but you know that.

01-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #3245
Pentaxian

Anyone ever read a book first in a translation of that piece of literature and then read it in its original language version ... or vice versa ?

Well, things can change a lot ... trust me.

I first read Camus' "L'Etranger" in French class as a Junior in high school ... it took us about a semester to do it justice. The next year as a Senior, we read it in our literature class in English ... things changed a lot ... and sometimes cannot ever be translated at 100% level. I wrote a paper about this for the Senior class, comparing the two versions and the problems of translation, etc. and I got a "D+" for the paper from the (crazy) literature teacher.

Angry, I gave the same paper to my French teacher of the previous year, and he said that it was very good work ...

My point = translations suck as general rule in my books ... the "beach scene" in "L'Etranger" was horribly/impossible to translate among other aspects of the book ... I live between two languages and sometimes two cultures, and that's why my PF location motto is "Lost in translation ..." but, you get used to it after awhile (17+ years and counting for me). Just my long-winded two cents ...

PS - Bill Murray is not nearly as funny in French as he is in the original version of "Groundhog Day" ... just FYI J

- - - - - - - - -

J'ai pensé que je n'avais qu'un demi-tour à faire et ce serait fini. Mais toute une plage vibrante de soleil se pressait derrière moi. J'ai fait quelques pas vers la source. L'Arabe n'a pas bougé. Malgré tout, il était encore assez loin. Peut-être à cause des ombres sur son visage, il avait l'air de rire. J'ai attendu. La brûlure du soleil gagnait mes joues et j'ai senti des gouttes de sueur s'amasser dans mes sourcils. C'était le même soleil que le jour où j'avais enterré maman et, comme alors, le front surtout me faisait mal et toutes ses veines battaient ensemble sous la peau. À cause de cette brûlure que je ne pouvais plus supporter, j'ai fait un mouvement en avant. Je savais que c'était stupide, que je ne me débarrasserais pas du soleil en me déplaçant d'un pas. Mais j'ai fait un pas, un seul pas en avant. Et cette fois, sans se soulever, l'Arabe a tiré son couteau qu'il m'a présenté dans le soleil. La lumière a giclé sur l'acier et c'était comme une longue lame étincelante qui m'atteignait au front. Au même instant, la sueur amassée dans mes sourcils a coulé d'un coup sur les paupières et les a recouvertes d'un voile tiède et épais. Mes yeux étaient aveuglés derrière ce rideau de larmes et de sel. Je ne sentais plus que les cymbales du soleil sur mon front et, indistinctement, le glaive éclatant jailli du couteau toujours en face de moi. Cette épée brûlante rongeait mes cils et fouillait mes yeux douloureux. C'est alors que tout a vacillé. La mer a charrié un souffle épais et ardent. Il m'a semblé que le ciel s'ouvrait sur toute son étendue pour laisser pleuvoir du feu. Tout mon être s'est tendu et j'ai crispé ma main sur le revolver. La gâchette a cédé, j'ai touché le ventre poli de la crosse et c'est là, dans le bruit à la fois sec et assourdissant, que tout a commencé. J'ai secoué la sueur et le soleil. J'ai compris que j'avais détruit l'équilibre du jour, le silence exceptionnel d'une plage où j'avais été heureux. Alors, j'ai tiré encore quatre fois sur un corps inerte où les balles s'enfonçaient sans qu'il y parût. Et c'était comme quatre coups brefs que je frappais sur la porte du malheur. (A. CAMUS)

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 01-13-2014 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Bible reference ... sorry
01-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #3246
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

John, you quoted that from memory? I'm impressed!

I do agree with you on translations. It pains me that I'm not able to read more languages and thus have to resort to translations, either to English or one of the Scandinavian languages. Of course, if you don't know the culture a good translation might be better anyway.
01-13-2014, 09:39 AM   #3247
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Good to see it's not only me... And I can't understand why some people can't distinguish between your/you're, then/than, there/their/they're.

I suppose it just means I'm getting old.

And that's why I won't buy a K-3.

(And whenever someone points to me making mistakes I shamelessly hide behind the fact that English is not my first language. So there! Or "their"!)
I'm a little more tolerant of y/y t/t/t than I used to be (particularly when auto-correct "fixes" my typing wrong), but using words with the wrong (or opposite) meaning has me channeling Inigo Montoya: "I do not think that means what you think it means." However, that's how the language evolves - according to World Wide Words (which is a fun read, by the way), some English words have reversed meaning more than once. Still, it bananas my pitchkettle shamefully.

01-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #3248
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I was just about to dig up Joel's post from the last time we wandered towards religion, then I clicked on 'next page'. Great minds, and all that.
01-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #3249
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
French class
There's your problem!! You learned French!! That is just a slippery slope!! Never learn another language, just travel the world with the belief that everyone should speak English!! Much easier that way since you don't have to deal with cultures, and the risk of falling for a local is nil since they will grow to hate you!!
P.S. I have talked to people who are like that and have had horrid times in France!! Gee I wonder why??
01-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #3250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
There's your problem!! You learned French!! That is just a slippery slope!! Never learn another language, just travel the world with the belief that everyone should speak English!! Much easier that way since you don't have to deal with cultures, and the risk of falling for a local is nil since they will grow to hate you!!
P.S. I have talked to people who are like that and have had horrid times in France!! Gee I wonder why??
Last time we were in France we tried English, German, Finnish and Swedish. All no go....I have no desire to go back there.

edit: that's an other reason not to buy the K3

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 01-13-2014 at 10:29 AM.
01-13-2014, 10:51 AM   #3251
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here in Miami, one must speak (or at least understand) several different dialects of Spanglish.
01-13-2014, 11:14 AM   #3252
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Never my intent to brush the hot wire. By now most of you should know my family history.

FWIW, English cows eat grass high in carotene which makes their cream dark yellow. When dairymen realized they could skim the cream for butter, leaving low-fat white cheese, they introduced artificial colors to hide their misdemeanors. I shall not say in which Diocese Barony this practice first came forth, nor which entity first distributed said felonious product.

But it wasn't Colby.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-13-2014 at 01:29 PM.
01-13-2014, 11:33 AM   #3253
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
But it wasn't Colby.
Of course, Colby was more into pressing than skimming. Or was that Corby?
01-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #3254
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So I checked in to find out whether I should buy a K-3 and find this:

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
English cows eat grass high in carotene which makes their cream dark yellow.
Clearly, I need to give the matter further consideration.
01-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #3255
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Clearly, I need to give the matter further consideration.
What more information could you possibly need?

Last edited by CarlG; 01-13-2014 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Boredom