Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #3256
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Clearly, I need to give the matter further consideration.
Doomed if you do and doomed if you don't!!!

01-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #3257
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Last time we were in France we tried English, German, Finnish and Swedish. All no go....I have no desire to go back there.

edit: that's an other reason not to buy the K3
I can see where German might not be well received!!
01-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #3258
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
There's your problem!! You learned French!! That is just a slippery slope!! Never learn another language ...
Oui, oui, oui ... a very, very slippery slope that I've slid down for years ... with lots of whine & jeez, too ... And another reason why I won't buy a K-3 is that I'm sure that the translation of the manual from Japanese to proper English (UK style) and then from that English into French will be rotten, just horrid ... yeck!

PS - Bill Murray is much funnier in the English version of "Ghostbusters" than in the translated French version ... just FYI again in case you were wondering, J
01-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #3259
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
PS - Bill Murray is much funnier in the English version of "Ghostbusters" than in the translated French version
My 7 year old would disagree on French! He will watch his movies with the French audio on and laugh and laugh!! Doesn't understand a thing but maybe it will rub off on him!!

01-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #3260
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Watch British TV for a while and you get used to it. I think their shows are so superior to ours as to make it painful to watch primetime after a while!!!!
I have been catching up on Dr. Who episodes on Netflix and thoroughly enjoying the process. The main challenge is following some of the Cockney dialog.

Steve
01-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #3261
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Actually it was written in Aramaic and Greek if memory serves me well.
<comment with religious reference deleted...stevebrot>

Ricoh was not involved, which is one reason why I am still fond of the <religious reference deleted...stevebrot>.

Steve

(...commented posted before reading the warning regarding religion...commented redacted in response...no harm intended...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-13-2014 at 01:26 PM.
01-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #3262
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

There's your problem!! You learned French!! That is just a slippery slope!! Never learn another language, just travel the world with the belief that everyone should speak English!! Much easier that way since you don't have to deal with cultures, and the risk of falling for a local is nil since they will grow to hate you!!
P.S. I have talked to people who are like that and have had horrid times in France!! Gee I wonder why??
Q. What does one call a person who speaks two languages?
A. Bilingual

Q. What does one call a person who speaks multiple languages?
A. Multilingual or polyglot

Q. What does one call a person who speaks only one language?
A. American

Steve

(...language skills limited to English... )

(...working on my Germish though...)

01-13-2014, 03:00 PM   #3263
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Winston Churchill apparently said that England and the US were two countries divided by a common language.
We Aussies have tended to maintain the English english, although with the lack of any educational standards in our schools most of the Gen X , Y and Zs (Z's?) get there education from American films and music, so the lines have become very indistinct, and American english has infiltrated somewhat.
It annoys me greatly that US firms don't understand, and insist on advertising in their own language! Why would I use Cooper Tires? I don't want them to be asleep when I hit the brakes.
01-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #3264
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Winston Churchill apparently said that England and the US were two countries divided by a common language.
We Aussies have tended to maintain the English english, although with the lack of any educational standards in our schools most of the Gen X , Y and Zs (Z's?) get there education from American films and music, so the lines have become very indistinct, and American english has infiltrated somewhat.
It annoys me greatly that US firms don't understand, and insist on advertising in their own language! Why would I use Cooper Tires? I don't want them to be asleep when I hit the brakes.
American companies are generally quite diligent in checking potential names of their products for unintended meanings in other languages. It's hard to change a company name, though, such as Cooper.
01-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #3265
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In 1974 67% of Global Gross Production was occured within the United States. At that time American businesses, generally run by men who had served in their youth during WWII, simply believed the rest of the world needed to accomodate us, not the other way around.

Today roughly 23% of Global Gross Production occurs within the USA, but 44% of consumption still occurs here. Culturally it is challenging to extinguish nearly 70 years of accumulated expectation, especially when nearly half your customers expect it.
01-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #3266
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Must have been a typo, pretty easy between tire and tyre
01-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #3267
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you asked me (and you didn't) I'd wonder why I should equip my car with tyres manufactured by a barrelmaker.
01-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #3268
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Or was it a tipo?
01-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #3269
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But the US still leads the world in cheese production! That should count for something!

Darn, I looked that up, one thing led to another, and now I'm hungry.
01-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #3270
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Or was it a tipo?
Lets leave the Italians out of this...