Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2014, 05:28 PM   #3331
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TinaS Quote
I drove my mom's Chevette in high school. There's some not glorious. I could squeeze in 8 or 9, 10 if someone rode in the hatch back and all passenger laps were full. Not saying it was safe...
Ahhh . . . . . the Chevette. The only car I ever drove that when you mashed the accelerator and kicked it into passing gear, it didn't go any faster, it just made more noise.

Good times.

01-14-2014, 05:29 PM   #3332
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Groovy pants Dude!
If you think those are groovy, you should have seen me in my Neru jacket over a paisley shirt.
01-14-2014, 05:29 PM   #3333
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I was a "preppy", too ... but, the cruise was "Brookside", better known in Tulsa as Peoria Avenue (between 36th St & I-44). My dad was insane and got me a '68 light blue 'Vette convertible with a 327/350 HP (steel crank) ... even had the vinyl "hardtop" for the winter season ... street "drag" racing, never heard of it and thought that I was "immune" to all possible prosecution (... did I mention that my dad was a criminal defense attorney?) ... don't get me started about muscle cars & cruises J
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I can imagine ... I was always kind of a "small" block fan ... one of the "best" was a '70 (and a half, due to the GM strike) Z-28 with an LT-1 & 4.11 (Gold with black stripes) ... what a screamer that was! My dad and I had a cottage industry of restoring cars in the garage ... buy one cheap, fix it up at bit and then sell off (and then repeat & build the bank roll) ... it kept me busy, even working on weekend nights at times (as a valet car park) to fund the parts bills ... and machine shop bills, too.

Best "big" block was a '67 Mustang fastback with a 390 & a C-6 ... classy car with tilt-away steering wheel and all ... last heard that it was in Dallas. Sold it to a friend a few years before moving to France. Best 6 was in a '66 Mustang fastback ... one had to work harder and drive better to get it to go "fast" ... still a lot of fun.

Do you ever wish you still had any of those cars?
01-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #3334
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
I waxed that car a lot.
I bet you did.

Real paste wax too, huh?

01-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #3335
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Considering that I have a 14.5 year old teenage boy, yall are scaring the Hell out of me with car stories!
14 year old? Be afraid. Be very afraid.......
01-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #3336
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Somebody should make some long post on religion just so this thread can be mercifully locked.
Bite your tongue. This thread is just getting good!
01-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #3337
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
If you think those are groovy, you should have seen me in my Neru jacket over a paisley shirt.
Those were the days, weren't they?

01-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #3338
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Been living in and around Everett since 1970.

You?
I grew up in Bothell, but had relatives in Everett. My uncle was an Everett cop who very likely shadowed your car when you were cruising Colby. My brother owned a condo just off Colby until this last summer when he sold it and moved to the Midwest.

Having history in the Northwest is reason enough to not buy a K-3.

Steve
01-14-2014, 05:36 PM   #3339
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Of course I also had a hard time keeping myself out of jail (for street racing)
See note above regarding my uncle the cop...

Gosh that is only two degrees of separation!

Steve
01-14-2014, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #3340
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Those were the days, weren't they?
"Those were the days, my friend. We thought they'd never end"

Last edited by Parallax; 01-14-2014 at 06:01 PM.
01-14-2014, 05:54 PM   #3341
Veteran Member

I bet you did.

Real paste wax too, huh?
My girlfriend helped with washing. I let nobody touch the carnauba wax. The cheese was free for all.

And I cannot buy a K3 until Chevy brings back a 58 Impala. American Graffiti time.
01-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #3342
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I grew up in Bothell, but had relatives in Everett. My uncle was an Everett cop who very likely shadowed your car when you were cruising Colby.
Thornberry is the only cop name I still remember. He was really pretty cool. If he caught us drinking he would make us pour it out. If he caught is smoking dope he would "confiscate it". Sometimes he would watch us street racing, then "bust" us. Always just ran us out of town with the admonishment to not let him see us again that night.

The the city grew some, cruising got real big, too many people caused too much damage and vandalism, residents in the neighborhoods got tired of kids in cars racing past their houses all night long and the city made cruising illegal. Pass the same spot twice in one hour, get arrested, go to jail, get your car impounded, and pay a $1,000 fine.

Then they dug up the entire length of downtown and made it one lane each way, with angle parking. No more cruising side by side anymore.

Killjoys.
01-14-2014, 06:01 PM   #3343
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Do you ever wish you still had any of those cars?
My Dad was/is a Buick man and I learned to drive in a 1966 Buick Wildcat GS...
  • Silver with red interior
  • Sport wheels with ribbed center caps
  • 425 cid w/Quadrajet
  • 340 hp
  • 465 ft-lbs torque
  • Super Turbine (variable pitch) tranny
  • 3.42:1 posi rear end
  • Performance suspension
Yes, that is GS as in Gran Sport. Very few were made and it was sort of a rare car. It was pretty quick and could easily smoke both rear tires (posi-traction, remember?). You had to be very careful coming off the line with that car. Unlike most Buicks it cornered flat and had very predictable handling.

One of the family legends is that Dad took Uncle Frank (the Everett cop) for a little ride shortly after he purchased the car new. Dad decided to see what the top end was with Frank in the passenger seat. Frank was visibly shaken when he got out of the car.

The sad story is that I blew the engine in the middle of the desert in Eastern Washington returning from college the end of my freshman year. Dad and I swapped a tamer 400 cid engine for the wasted 425 (another good story) and the car provided basic transportation to various family members for another couple of decades. I think it had about 350,000 miles on it before it was garaged in anticipation of a future restoration that never happened. Dad finally sold the car to an enthusiast two years ago along with a replacement 425 engine.

Cool car...

BTW...I was shooting Ricoh back in those days

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-14-2014 at 06:15 PM.
01-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #3344
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Real paste wax too, huh?
Is there any other kind?
01-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #3345
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Is there any other kind?
Um, well, not really, but you know, that Turtle Wax stuff. "Easy Wax" for lazy people.