In case y'all needed a reason to eat more bacon:

Top 6 Reasons Bacon is Good for You - CHEESESLAVE

01-22-2014, 04:34 AM   #3617
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote

Gonna print that off and hang it on my fridge!!!!!
01-22-2014, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #3618
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Well, now that I'm going to be spending all my money on bacon, I'm not going to buy a K-3.
01-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #3619
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Exactly. I lived in Charlotte for a while and this was my take. I was also surprised--during my grad school days--that (some) drivers in Albany, NY weren't all that great in snow, either.
Four years ago I was in Durham, and assigned a double load that was supposed to be 2 trips in one day. It was Harrier Jump Jet wing parts, supposed to pick up in Kinston, run down to the Marine base at Cherry Point, unload, return and do it a second time.

I sat over the weekend near Raleigh. All weekend the news was spewing the doom and gloom about a "snowstorm" that was coming. The trucks ran 24-7 putting down de-icer everywhere.

Monday I rolled out at 'o-dark thirty and headed South to Kinston. After getting the first load of wing parts on and secured I headed for Cherry Point. As I was cruising along the 70 highway I saw motor graders sitting with drivers in them, waiting on the impending "storm".

I got to Cherry Point, found the warehouse and unloaded. It was a huge warehouse, and they had me pull the truck and trailer inside, and shut the doors. When I was finished they opened the doors for me to drive out and I encountered a light coating of white stuff. I asked the warehouse manager to sign my BOL's and told her I would be back in a few hours.

She said they were cancelling the other load, and it would be a couple days before I could finish it up.

I pointed out that I had just sat two and a half days, days where I didn't earn a dime (if the wheels ain't rollin' the truck doesn't get paid), and there was no way I was going to sit two more days for a half day's work.

My dispatcher got me a load of aluminum plate out of the Alcoa plant in Ravenswood and I headed North.

It is odd how a place gets a light dusting of snow and everything shuts down. They closed down the entire town, even the cops went home.

Pansies.

But.

On my way up to Ravenswood I stopped overnight in Raleigh. It rained all night but was freezing. When I got up the next morning everything looked like a glazed donut.

Oh, and when I got up to Ravenswood there was over a foot of snow on the ground. Everything was business as usual there.

I would have taken some pictures, but I didn't have a K3. Well it hadn't been made yet.

01-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #3620
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
If steel cows make Cheese wiz, then the fiberglass ones must be for Velveeta! Now what kind of cow makes imitation??
The ones on the billboards for that chicken fast food place.
01-22-2014, 10:29 AM   #3621
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, the piles of salt on the sidewalk were higher than the actual snow in Raleigh/Durham this morning (really!), but it sounds like east/north of here got hit pretty good. I-95 was closed for a big rig that decided to cross the median.

Ever since the "big" snow a few years back (~20 inches, IIRC) when they got blasted for slow response, NC-DOT has been paranoid about snow - pulls every grader and dump truck from projects and has them waiting like you saw. With more miles of state-maintained roads than any state except Texas (fact!), NC-DOT is expected to handle everything, rather than each township taking care of themselves.
01-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #3622
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Update

Actually this understates the total since it was under branches and exposed to the wind. I'd say we got 7" but it was light, dry stuff not the water-logged crap we usually get.

01-22-2014, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #3623
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
SNIP I would have taken some pictures, but I didn't have a K3. Well it hadn't been made yet.
This thread is supposed to be about why you won't buy a K-3, not why you didn't Today, I won't buy a K-3 because either Adorama or B&H require a 2 block detour on my way home from work. I won't buy a K-3 until they relocate to a more convenient location.

Cheese.
Bacon.
Beer.
01-22-2014, 11:27 AM - 2 Likes   #3624
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Update: It's pretty rough here, with snowdrifts several millimeters high. Good thing I bought all that bread, milk, and toilet paper.

01-22-2014, 11:31 AM   #3625
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep in mind that meteorology was created by astrologers and palm readers to make themselves look credible in comparison to meteorologists.
01-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #3626
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
This thread is supposed to be about why you won't buy a K-3
Oh, yeah. Well at first, I wouldn't but one 'cause my cash flow was running negative but it looks like that's settled down. I want to give ity a little more time to be sure. Then, I decided I wouldn't but one because it either came bundled with stuff I don't want or unbundled at the same price as the bundle. Now I'm dragging my feet because I know I'm going to keep a k-5 so much and I'm leery of the differences in the user interface (I'm old and stupid and that sort of thing gives me fits.) So that';s why I won't buy a K-3. Of course I will at the earliest appropriate opportunity (maybe President's Day?)
01-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #3627
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I will buy a K3, because this thread has brought the camera to legendary status
01-22-2014, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #3628
Veteran Member

A Winter Diary

December 24:
Snow packed so hard by snowplow, I broke the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch the SOB who drives that snow plow, I'll drag him through the snow
and beat him to death with my broken shovel. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then hecomes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over everywhere I've just been! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas
carols with her and open our presents, but I was too busy watching for the snowplow.

December 25

Merry Christmas. 20 more inches of the slop tonight. Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. God, I hate the snow! Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation
and I hit him over the head with my shovel. The wife says I have a bad attitude. I think she's a fricking idiot. If I have to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" one more time, I'm going to stuff her into the microwave.

December 26:
Still snowed in. Why the hell did I ever move here? It was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves.

December 27:
Temperature dropped to -30, and the pipes froze. Plumber came after 14 hours of waiting for him; he charged me ONLY $1,400 to replace all my pipes.

December 28:
Warmed up to above-50. Still snowed in. The Woman is driving me crazy!!!!!

December 29:
10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30:
Roof caved in. I beat up the snow plow driver. He is now suing me for a million dollars; not for only the beating I gave him, but also for trying to shove the broken snow shovel "up where
the sun does not shine". The wife went home to her mother. 9" predicted.

December 31:
I set fire to what's left of the house. No more shoveling.

January 8:
Feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I tied to the bed? Why can't I use my computer to order a K3 from B&H or Adorama? But who cares?
01-22-2014, 12:55 PM   #3629
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
I will buy a K3, because this thread has brought the camera to legendary status
No! No! No! Doing so will anger the Hocir and bring about the destruction of Tokyo and the wastage of much cheese!

You must resist!

Steve
01-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #3630
Pentaxian

Never needed a reason ... but this helps out a lot with the justification bit ... J

Ah, the bacon "justification" bit ... or for short: bacon "j" bit ... or just plain bacon bit ... MMM

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 01-22-2014 at 01:13 PM.