Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2014, 09:52 AM   #3856
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Sounds like quite a death-truck, Racer X 69....are you doing this on purpose, or are there really no ways of avoiding executing beautiful little living beings when driving in your neck of the woods?

I don't drive a truck, and only about 1/3 of the milage that you do, but I've never not been able to break to avoid running over (or into) any living beings.

Actually I moved into my 4th truck last August. Since retiring after 30 years as a heavy equipment mechanic I've been at this (driving a truck) for 5 years this coming May.

No, I don't do this on purpose (the killing of innocent creatures), they just haven't evolved the sense to stay off the highway.

Oh, and my "neck of the woods" covers all of the lower 48, and (so far) 6 Canadian provinces.

As far as being able to apply the brakes, or swerve to avoid, and prevent the demise of the living beings, well, once 80,000lbs of rolling steel gets moving, it takes a bit to slow it down, and any sudden change in direction may result in catastrophic results. Think about it. A truck weighs about 26 times more than the average car, is 1.5 times wider, 3 times taller, and about 5.5 times longer.

Avoiding birds on the wing is impossible, even in a car. I've hit quite a few birds while traveling in my car, and not once was I able to avoid the impact. When the deer ran into the front of the rig there was not even time to lift off of the accelerator. She came out so quickly from the roadside there really was no time to react.

And if you have always been able to apply the brakes or swerve or whatever to prevent harming living things without causing yourself to wreck then you should market your skills. More people are injured or killed every year trying to avoid running over Bambi than should be.

Of course I still cannot buy a K3.

Racer

01-26-2014, 10:04 AM   #3857
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
If you can remember the Sixties you weren't there.
But... but I can't remember the sixties!

Mostly because I wasn't there, and that's why I won't buy a K-3.
01-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #3858
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
If you want we can bring a couple up your way. They are quite hardy and can adapt to just about any environment. You'll be run over, wait, you'll be running over hundreds of them in no time.

And then you will be too busy to buy a K3.
One makes it up here every now and then, probably on a truck or something. I've never known one to make it over the winter.
01-26-2014, 10:34 AM   #3859
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
One makes it up here every now and then, probably on a truck or something.
It wasn't me, honest!

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've never known one to make it over the winter.
Probably run over by a truck.

Or.

Some wayward Tarheels saw it and made possum soup.

Either way, I'm gonna have to pass on a K3.

At least for now.

Maybe after the price comes down a bit.

And Hocir no longer shows on the back.

01-26-2014, 12:09 PM   #3860
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The trucks at my work have taken so much deer damage over the last few years, that they now all have Mad Max inspired monster cages over the front ends! The stupid deer breed like bunnies around here!! Deer versus truck = hoof, 50ft, hoof, 50ft, hoof, 50ft, hoof, 25ft, head! All connected by entrails!! Yum!!
01-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #3861
Veteran Member

I could use a sled team of possums today to break trail. Snow is over my knees. A ground blizzard underway with blowing snow up to 100 feet above the lake (measured by a white pine in my front yard that is about 100 feet tall). I am getting bed sores on my butt from sitting. Split some nice ash and maple rounds this morning. But I cannot move off shoveled areas. Put my snowshoes on, walked toward the lake and fell sideways. Camera was fine, thank you. My dignity suffered. Good thing I always have ski poles while snowshoeing.

I won't buy a K3 until the snow is gone.
01-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #3862
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
I won't buy a K3 until the snow is gone.
July??? Aug???

01-26-2014, 01:04 PM   #3863
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
July??? Aug???
Last year the ice went out on the lake on May 10. Still had sneaky snow under the pines. Then it got hot, for northern Minnesota, with thunderstorms and temps up to 80F. Then the mosquitoes hatched, followed by June bugs. Then it got cold again in September. How can I buy a K3 under these conditions? Forecast is for -38F tonight.
01-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #3864
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like you have the same 4 seasons there that we have here.
Winter's Coming, Winter, Still Winter, and depending on what part of the state you're in, Damn It's Hot or Where Did All These Bugs Come From.
01-26-2014, 01:33 PM   #3865
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

I haven't made to the sixties yet.

But soon . . . . .
01-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #3866
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I haven't made to the sixties yet.

But soon . . . . .
Ah, but now we're going back to me being handicapped by not having English as my first language. There is a distinction between the sixties and my sixties, isn't there?

And that's why I won't buy a K-3!
01-26-2014, 02:32 PM   #3867
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
As far as being able to apply the brakes, or swerve to avoid, and prevent the demise of the living beings, well, once 80,000lbs of rolling steel gets moving, it takes a bit to slow it down
I asked a truck driver friend of mine once about brakes. He gave me a sort of blank stare and told me plainly that there really aren't any. I took that to mean that stopping a truck at speed is a little like stopping a train. It is best to not tempt fate by pulling out in front of one.

There are too many parallels between being hit by a truck and buying a K-3, therefore I will not buy one.

Steve
01-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #3868
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

Me either! I didn't make my debut on planet Earth until the 70s.
01-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #3869
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Me either! I didn't make my debut on planet Earth until the 70s.
Yep, what a fate! My soul is still scarred from being a teen in the eighties!

And that's why... No, wait, I fixed that in my signature now
01-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #3870
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I asked a truck driver friend of mine once about brakes. He gave me a sort of blank stare and told me plainly that there really aren't any. I took that to mean that stopping a truck at speed is a little like stopping a train. It is best to not tempt fate by pulling out in front of one.
Pretty much.

Stopping a heavy truck is somewhere between a freight train and a car.

Even stopping a car can be difficult, especially when the road conditions are poor.

Here is what happens when someone in a car overestimates their ability to stop.

The driver of this car tried to blame the accident on the truck driver.

I bet he won't buy a K3.