Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #3871
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A vivid memory ... my Dad was racing down a rural Arkansas road at 100+mph in the '76 351 Cleveland powered Ford Cougar XR-7 ... my Dad drove fast, especially in Arkansas where he grew up ... Anyway, there was a covey of quail at the bottom of the hill and they all started to fly off away from the road ... Except for one which seemed to hover in mid-air ... and "boom" ... contact was made with the top center of the grill and the circular hood ornament ... the quail exploded its guts, spattering all over the windshield ... then, the dead corpse of the almost gutted quail was stuck for a moment on the hood ornament and was then push by the air flow from the grill area, sliding with a blood trail across and up the hood, then hitting the wipers to continue the blood smear up and over the windshield ... I was in the passenger's seat, thus had a front row view of this spectacle ... worse, Dad hit the wipers and made the mess worse ... at the next town, we fortunately found a "you-get-wet" car wash.

I won't buy a K-3 because it does not have quail collision radar avoidance equipment; maybe for possum, but not quail ... J

01-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #3872
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
A vivid memory ... my Dad was racing down a rural Arkansas road at 100+mph in the '76 351 Cleveland powered Ford Cougar XR-7 ... my Dad drove fast, especially in Arkansas where he grew up ... Anyway, there was a covey of quail at the bottom of the hill and they all started to fly off away from the road ... Except for one which seemed to hover in mid-air ... and "boom" ... contact was made with the top center of the grill and the circular hood ornament ... the quail exploded its guts, spattering all over the windshield ... then, the dead corpse of the almost gutted quail was stuck for a moment on the hood ornament and was then push by the air flow from the grill area, sliding with a blood trail across and up the hood, then hitting the wipers to continue the blood smear up and over the windshield ... I was in the passenger's seat, thus had a front row view of this spectacle ... worse, Dad hit the wipers and made the mess worse ... at the next town, we fortunately found a "you-get-wet" car wash.
Oh my, that poor defenseless and innocent quail!
01-26-2014, 03:59 PM   #3873
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Sounds like you have the same 4 seasons there that we have here.
Winter's Coming, Winter, Still Winter, and depending on what part of the state you're in, Damn It's Hot or Where Did All These Bugs Come From.
Am I correct assuming that much of the midwest gets Damn It's Hot plus Where Did All These Bugs Come From simultaneously? There's a reason why I've never ventured far beyond city limits on my visits to family in Minneapolis. It's either too cold to venture into the wilderness or in the hot months the mosquitos conduct carpet bombing raids.
01-26-2014, 04:04 PM   #3874
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Am I correct assuming that much of the midwest gets Damn It's Hot plus Where Did All These Bugs Come From simultaneously?.
That's a fair assumption. The farther West you go, the fewer the bugs, but from the Missouri river East it's a swat fest 3-4 months of the year.

01-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #3875
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
. . . . or in the hot months the mosquitos conduct carpet bombing raids.
I considered going into the shellac business a few years ago after collecting about half the mosquito population between Mitchell and Sioux Falls.

If I had maybe I could afford a K3.
01-26-2014, 04:13 PM   #3876
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

If you think it's bad on I90, try driving 83 from Pierre to Bismarck somtime.
01-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #3877
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bugs & mosquitos can be bad, but locusts...
locust plaque - Bing Images

01-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #3878
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Ah, but now we're going back to me being handicapped by not having English as my first language. There is a distinction between the sixties and my sixties, isn't there?

And that's why I won't buy a K-3!
It's all a matter of perspective, I think.
01-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #3879
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Oh my, that poor defenseless and innocent quail!
Quail? That poor defenseless hood ornament!!
01-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #3880
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Bugs & mosquitos can be bad, but locusts...
locust plaque - Bing Images
Perhaps, but locust can be fried or dipped in chocolate. Mosquitos on the other hand are too small to mess with, unless you come to Michigan, where hunting them with a shotgun is legal (and necessary).
01-26-2014, 06:10 PM   #3881
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I considered going into the shellac business a few years ago after collecting about half the mosquito population between Mitchell and Sioux Falls.
Do you haul any refrigerated?? Like cheese??
01-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #3882
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote

I won't buy a K-3 because it does not have quail collision radar avoidance equipment; maybe for possum, but not quail ... J
Try hitting a snow goose at ten thousand feet in a Twin Otter. We were returning to Dorset on a chartered Twin when this darned goose appeared out of nowhere and stuck the nacelle of the aircraft right below the windshield wiper. Made a noise like a shotgun that echoed through the plane. I was at the front and could see what happened but my staff at the back got real nervous, especially when the pilot decided to test the flight surfaces, banking, rising, dropping the nose and then hitting level flight again. Half the team thought were were on our way into the water. When we landed, all that was left of the goose were a few feathers stuck under the wiper. The pilot did have avoidance radar but the goose didn't register. He'd seen it coming but did not have time to react; just had to let it hit and hope for the best. He did have the presence of mind not to activate the wipers. Crashing in the Arctic is no fun; hardly any roadkill to salvage and munch on while you await rescue. What the heck that goose was doing up that high buy itself we'll never know but it didn't have the guts to do it again.
01-26-2014, 10:40 PM   #3883
Veteran Member

"Ain't a fit night out for man nor beast!" - W.C. Fields in the Fatal Glass of Beer
01-26-2014, 10:46 PM   #3884
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Try hitting a snow goose at ten thousand feet in a Twin Otter. We were returning to Dorset on a chartered Twin when this darned goose appeared out of nowhere and stuck the nacelle of the aircraft right below the windshield wiper. Made a noise like a shotgun that echoed through the plane. I was at the front and could see what happened but my staff at the back got real nervous, especially when the pilot decided to test the flight surfaces, banking, rising, dropping the nose and then hitting level flight again. Half the team thought were were on our way into the water. When we landed, all that was left of the goose were a few feathers stuck under the wiper. The pilot did have avoidance radar but the goose didn't register. He'd seen it coming but did not have time to react; just had to let it hit and hope for the best. He did have the presence of mind not to activate the wipers. Crashing in the Arctic is no fun; hardly any roadkill to salvage and munch on while you await rescue. What the heck that goose was doing up that high buy itself we'll never know but it didn't have the guts to do it again.
Yikes ... 10,000 feet ... yikes! Thankfully we were not that high, but still "flying" pretty fast ... those micro-seconds before impact are awful and seem like an eternity at the moment, J
01-26-2014, 11:02 PM   #3885
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Quail? That poor defenseless hood ornament!!
Yeah, the hood ornament never quite stood "straight up" again after that collision ... plus it took about an entire quarter's worth of car wash spray just to make it transparent again ... remember that old Cougar decoration ?! Looked like this one if memory serves me correctly ... plus Dad's XR-7 was red, and maybe it was an earlier model, too. He went through a lot of cars ... all makes & models ... no brand loyalty; it was just the flavor of the day that prevailed.

Another reason not to get a K-3 ... it wouldn't stand up to a high pressure car wash jet cleaning ... shoot at it and it would probably go scooting across the cleaning bay floor and into the drainage grill recession ... poor design concept here.

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 01-26-2014 at 11:08 PM.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »