Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Neither did the quail.
01-27-2014, 08:39 AM   #3888
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I considered going into the shellac business a few years ago after collecting about half the mosquito population between Mitchell and Sioux Falls.

If I had maybe I could afford a K3.
Try central Florida during "love bug" season... they sell special screens to cover radiators and other air intakes, and people have been known to spray "Pam" (or equivalent) on all forward-facing parts of the vehicle (except windshield glass) to help get the bug carcasses off.

No screens for lenses, so why buy a K3?
01-27-2014, 09:37 AM   #3889
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Seems to me the punch line to the quail and goose stories is

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
"I always keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"- F. Leghorn

01-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #3890
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Try hitting a snow goose at ten thousand feet in a Twin Otter. We were returning to Dorset on a chartered Twin when this darned goose appeared out of nowhere and stuck the nacelle of the aircraft right below the windshield wiper. Made a noise like a shotgun that echoed through the plane. I was at the front and could see what happened but my staff at the back got real nervous, especially when the pilot decided to test the flight surfaces, banking, rising, dropping the nose and then hitting level flight again. Half the team thought were were on our way into the water. When we landed, all that was left of the goose were a few feathers stuck under the wiper. The pilot did have avoidance radar but the goose didn't register. He'd seen it coming but did not have time to react; just had to let it hit and hope for the best. He did have the presence of mind not to activate the wipers. Crashing in the Arctic is no fun; hardly any roadkill to salvage and munch on while you await rescue. What the heck that goose was doing up that high buy itself we'll never know but it didn't have the guts to do it again.
That pilot should have flown more slowly so he could have avoided that poor defenseless and innocent creature.

Maybe the savings of life could have persuaded Hocir to remove their moniker from the back of the K3.
01-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #3891
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Quail? That poor defenseless hood ornament!!
Yes, Mrs. Quacker would have had a tough go of it, the little pink princess that she is..

But Captain Quack Sparrow would gave eaten that quail for lunch.

But it still would not have caused me to buy a K3.

No sir.

No way.

Not as long as it has Hocir on the back.
01-27-2014, 10:57 AM   #3892
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Try central Florida during "love bug" season... they sell special screens to cover radiators and other air intakes, and people have been known to spray "Pam" (or equivalent) on all forward-facing parts of the vehicle (except windshield glass) to help get the bug carcasses off.

No screens for lenses, so why buy a K3?
I've heard that the juices from the love bugs will ruin the paint on your car.

Enough reason for me to not get a K3.

01-27-2014, 11:00 AM   #3893
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Mosquitos on the other hand are too small to mess with, unless you come to Michigan, where hunting them with a shotgun is legal (and necessary).
They have those up in Alaska too I'm told. Big enough to pick you up and carry you away.

Reason enough to not have a K3 when it happens.
01-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #3894
Pentaxian

They have those up in Alaska too I'm told. Big enough to pick you up and carry you away.

You don't really have to worry all that much about the big fellas (unless you are a motorcyclist)....

...it is the little beggars that will eat you alive!
01-27-2014, 11:09 AM   #3895
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I try to avoid Black Fly season in the northern states and Canada. For pure cussedness nothing comes close to a Black Fly.
01-27-2014, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #3896
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Do you haul any refrigerated?? Like cheese??
Nope. My wagons don't have doors. And often require a crane to unload.

You could debark the cheese with this thing:

And change the length of a lap pool with this:

Get lots of air into jet engines with a pair of these:

Or get your jet to slow down with these:

Maybe you could attach this to your excavator for extra reach and tear down old skyscrapers.

With some other components you could crush rock into gravel with these:

But no, I tend to shy away from refrigerated loads. I'd have to keep stopping and buy ice to keep it cold you know.

So a K3 is out of the question.
01-27-2014, 11:41 AM   #3897
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the first shot the three 'Supervisors' on the left look like they've eaten their fair share of Velveeta. Good Grief - they actually look like Velveeta!!
01-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #3898
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The discussion regarding collisions with bugs remind me of a bicycle ride I did several years ago. It was a nice day and I was making a good pace (say 25 mph) on a country road with pastures on either side and I suddenly became aware of a buzzing presence next to my eye. A bee had gotten sucked into the space between my "aero" biking glasses and my eye socket. DANG!

It must have been very entertaining to watch. Here is some guy in spandex on a bright yellow road bike desperately clawing at his face while trying to keep the bike from going into the 6' deep ditch (yep, no shoulder). Fortunately the bee was patient and I managed to get the glasses off without sting or road rash or crash into the depths of the ditch.

No way am I going to get a K-3, Hocir being part of a hive mind.

Steve
01-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #3899
Veteran Member

Yes, Mrs. Quacker would have had a tough go of it, the little pink princess that she is..

But Captain Quack Sparrow would gave eaten that quail for lunch.

But it still would not have caused me to buy a K3.

No sir.

No way.

Not as long as it has Hocir on the back.
Love your hood ornaments.
01-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #3900
Veteran Member

In Minnesota we have small black,biting flies that hatch in June. We call them "No-see-ums" because suddenly a sharp pain erupts from a bare foot or leg with no visible bug to swat. They hatch in hordes and only the dragonflies can eliminate them. I used to windsurf with bare feet until the bites made me crash too many times. I wear scuba diver booties now.

No-see-ums can squeeze through window screen mesh, but not through tropical grade mosquito netting. So here at the Lake, we close our windows at dusk during No-see-um season and run AC. One would think there would be a federal program to reimburse homeowners for No-see-um attacks, including paying for AC in July and August. Either that, or we need a concerted dragon fly breeding program to introduce thousands of Dragons per Minnesota square mile in the Arboreal forest regions. These regions are the "lungs of North America" and we need more trees and less corn. Not to mention fewer No-see-ums.

Last edited by waterfall; 01-27-2014 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Forgot: cannot buy a K3 until I count thousands of dragon flys in one hour.