Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2014, 09:51 PM   #4156
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Lol! Our brains are wired to crave certain flavor profiles because those flavors, found in naturally occurring food stuffs, provide us with nutrients our bodies require.
I'll add that back when everyone had to worry about starving over the winter, fattening up in the fall increased our chances of survival. That survival instinct is unfortunately backfiring and being exploited for profits now that food is more plentiful.

01-30-2014, 09:55 PM   #4157
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I'll add that back when everyone had to worry about starving over the winter, fattening up in the fall increased our chances of survival. That survival instinct is unfortunately backfiring and being exploited for profits now that food is more plentiful.
Yes, it is. Thus the meteoric rise of Western diseases in increasingly affluent countries. Diseases like diabetes type 2, hyperlipidemia, hypertension, coronary artery disease & so on.
01-31-2014, 01:34 AM   #4158
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Pretty close. The last line should read, "PS: I trust that Google translate does not butcher the language too much!)"
Google Translate does a remarkably good job of translating. Way better between languages with a similar structure, of course, than between very different languages. Like Finnish, which is just different.
01-31-2014, 04:33 AM   #4159
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, it is. Thus the meteoric rise of Western diseases in increasingly affluent countries. Diseases like diabetes type 2, hyperlipidemia, hypertension, coronary artery disease & so on.
Add to that the lack of activity and exercise and you end up with parade balloon children!!! What's the percent that diabetes is increasing in children every year?? My work sells candy bars for JDRF and I told them that idea was ridiculous!!! Raise money sure, but don't encourage bad eating habits!!
Ok back to food! Nothing tastes better than farm raised, open range livestock!! Beef, pork, chicken! Find a farmer that lets em out to run around, buy from them, and you won't be disappointed!! Beef is extra good when grass fed!! It also eliminates any risk of E-Coli!!
Hi-ho it's off to work I go!!!

01-31-2014, 06:10 AM   #4160
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Ok back to food! Nothing tastes better than farm raised, open range livestock!! Beef, pork, chicken! Find a farmer that lets em out to run around, buy from them, and you won't be disappointed!! Beef is extra good when grass fed!!
When I was in high school my folks had a small hobby farm. A couple milk cows, a steer once a year, some hogs, chickens, ducks, geese and rabbits, some fruit trees, and a big vegetable garden. Oh, and my mom became a beekeeper.

We composted all of our leftover food, the grass clippings, and mixed in the stuff from the barnyard. Made the garden grow like crazy.

We always had fresh everything, and each fall canned, butchered and froze the "fruits of our labors". I even milked the cows by hand, twice a day.

Having fresh, whole milk was great. Homemade butter. Fresh cream on peaches from our trees. Home made whipped cream on a fresh slice of home made apple or cherry pie.

I would drizzle honey over my cereal instead of sugar, and have it on pancakes or waffles instead of syrup.

When my parents got divorced and I got kicked out of the nest to go be a grown up all that changed.

I was amazed at how much different everything tasted. The milk from the store was like drinking white water. The butter was awful. Cool Whip sucks. Eggs didn't have that little red spot in the yolk (only when there is a rooster will eggs have that), and were bland, and had a chemical like taste. The chicken from the poultry bin at the store is downright disgusting! Pork tastes like the medicated feed they force the factory pigs to eat.

Vegetables and fruit just do not compare to the fresh and wholesome goodness we had back then. Even the colors are different.

I can still get honey that is close to what mom coaxed from her bees, provided I seek out the local stuff from beekeeper who sells it out of their back porch. Forget the crap they sell in the grocery store.

And I have yet to eat a steak that is as rich, tender and flavorful as the steaks that came from our home grown steers.

So that may be why a K3 is out of the question. Too far from the granola crunching, Birkenstock wearing, Subaru driving life I used to live and wish to live again.

KnowwhatImeanVern?
01-31-2014, 06:53 AM   #4161
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I'm gonna hyperventilate.

And won't be getting a K3.
01-31-2014, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #4162
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Fox does not speak. She chirps as a snarl, while marking her turf. Are all foxes in literature female? Certainly not in France, the home of fox stories.
Le Corbeau et le Renard - Jean de LA FONTAINE - Les grands po

The Crow and the Fox

"Maître Corbeau (a crow, like a sparrow in K-Whopper grill), sur un arbre perché,
Tenait en son bec un fromage
(cheese).
Maître Renard
(a fox), par l'odeur alléché (wonderful odor, of the cheese),
Lui tint à peu près ce langage : ..."

Well, you can Google translate the rest ... J

01-31-2014, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #4163
Pentaxian

Lol! Our brains are wired to crave certain flavor profiles because those flavors, found in naturally occurring food stuffs, provide us with nutrients our bodies require.
Like Cheez-Whiz ... even French home-made cheez-whiz : Tartinade de fromage cheddar «Cheez Whiz» maison Recettes | Ricardo

EDIT - EDIT - EDIT, darn it all ... Désolé (sorry), but this is a Quebec site and NOT a French site ... My bad; damned "dot-coms" ... I did NOT pick up the "Quebec accent" () while reading the recipe ... J

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 01-31-2014 at 10:02 AM.
01-31-2014, 08:16 AM   #4164
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
"Maître Corbeau (a crow, like a sparrow in K-Whopper grill), sur un arbre perché,
Nice one Jean!
01-31-2014, 09:53 AM   #4165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
When I was in high school my folks had a small hobby farm. A couple milk cows, a steer once a year, some hogs, chickens, ducks, geese and rabbits, some fruit trees, and a big vegetable garden. Oh, and my mom became a beekeeper.

We composted all of our leftover food, the grass clippings, and mixed in the stuff from the barnyard. Made the garden grow like crazy.

We always had fresh everything, and each fall canned, butchered and froze the "fruits of our labors". I even milked the cows by hand, twice a day.
Add to that the lack of activity and exercise and you end up with parade balloon children!!! What's the percent that diabetes is increasing in children every year??
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
My grandmother was a large woman. I'm fit and so is my wife and our children (like 20 - 22 BMI fit). My wife observed that having grown up dirt poor (my grandfather plowed behind a mule until 1932) and having lived through the Depression my grandmother was probably hungry her entire life up until about 1950, and by damned if there was food available she was going to eat it.

I'm fortunate to live in a close comm,unity that, though right in the middle of urban St. Louis, still has a town square, a hatchery and a Farmer's Market with fresh produce, fresh fish, beef, pork and fowl within walking distance of my home.

Of course, it takes 60-90 minutes to make dinner (and leftovers for tomorrow's lunch) every night - or 4 - 6 hours on Sunday afternoon for freezing. So kitchen time has to be family social time and we managed that for thirty or so years of active child rearing.

(That of course leaves scant time for photography, so I won't be buying any K3.)

It isn't only poor parental choices. Today healthy neighbors can get a letter from the school nutriotionist questioning their food choices for their children's sack lunches. If they don't 'improve' their diets, the school will 'confiscate' their brown bags, give them a prepared meal and send the parents a bill - because they didn't put anything green or fruit in the bag, and allowed two home-baked cookies.

They just refuse to believe when neighbors claim to eat together every meal (as we did), eat vegetables at dinner (as we did) and fruit at breakfast (as we did) and don't own a microwave (as we don't).

And the Farmer's Market is 1 mile from the school.

Go figure.
01-31-2014, 09:57 AM   #4166
Pentaxian

Add to that the lack of activity and exercise and you end up with parade balloon children!!! What's the percent that diabetes is increasing in children every year?? My work sells candy bars for JDRF and I told them that idea was ridiculous!!! Raise money sure, but don't encourage bad eating habits!!
Ok back to food! Nothing tastes better than farm raised, open range livestock!! Beef, pork, chicken! Find a farmer that lets em out to run around, buy from them, and you won't be disappointed!! Beef is extra good when grass fed!! It also eliminates any risk of E-Coli!!
Hi-ho it's off to work I go!!!
There are too many exclamation points in that post!!! I will protest by not placing a K-3 order today!!!
01-31-2014, 10:13 AM   #4167
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I won't buy a K3 because every time I have near enough $$ saved up, a shiny new (or dusty old) lens that I didn't realize I needed catches my eye
01-31-2014, 10:28 AM   #4168
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameko Quote
I won't buy a K3 because every time I have near enough $$ saved up, a shiny new (or dusty old) lens that I didn't realize I needed catches my eye
I have a similar problem. Hence keeping my Won't Buy a K3 stash in an orphan sock with a knot in the toes.
01-31-2014, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #4169
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I won't buy a K-3 because doing all that clicking on the B&H website is just too tiring.
01-31-2014, 12:48 PM   #4170
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Google Translate does a remarkably good job of translating. Way better between languages with a similar structure, of course, than between very different languages. Like Finnish, which is just different.
We used to have a Finnish speaker who posted here and his comments were quite interesting to say the least. Reminded me a little of the cryptic statements found in "English as She is Spoke."