Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #4201
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
We got enough snow to shut down the south for three days! 2 inches!!

I am sure it did. Most of us have whined in this thread about the weather.

How would you like to deal with this? Disclaimer: not my pic photographer unknown.

Attached Images

02-01-2014, 02:26 PM - 2 Likes   #4202
Site Supporter

If I had to deal with that, even just once, I would move! That's ridiculous. Global warming my right eye!

In related news, I busted my tail bone outside the pharmacy yesterday. And it really hurts!

Prior to this little gem, I had the notion of maybe taking some travel nurse assignments in some Northern climates. Screw that! I'm Southern through & through & ain't skeered to admit it!
02-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #4203
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Global warming my right eye!
Burn More tires!!!

In related news, I busted my tail bone outside the pharmacy yesterday. And it really hurts!
Ouch! Sorry to hear that! Hope it doesn't interfere with your move to Aruba!
02-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #4204
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
I am sure it did. Most of us have whined in this thread about the weather.

How would you like to deal with this? Disclaimer: not my pic photographer unknown.
Usually these apocalyptic images of thirty foot snow depths are from avalanches. In this image maybe the power company could not afford poles over ten feet high on the upper plains of NDak?

02-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #4205
Veteran Member

If I had to deal with that, even just once, I would move! That's ridiculous. Global warming my right eye!

Prior to this little gem, I had the notion of maybe taking some travel nurse assignments in some Northern climates. Screw that! I'm Southern through & through & ain't skeered to admit it!
Is a "skeered" the same as a "skeeter" that chew us up in the summer north of the 45th Parallel? Actually this winter is not historic here in Minnesota. Ranks only about top five for nights below 0 degrees F in the Cities. But Up North, we have had maybe all nights since Christmas of 2013 below zero. The good news is that at -30F, over 95% of Emerald ash borer larvae die behind the tree bark of the black ash trees that dominate swamp edges, lake edges and wet spots up north. In the Cities, the damn fools planted them to replace American elms killed by Dutch elm beetles, so now they have Chinese ash borer beetles. City folks!
02-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #4206
Site Supporter

Nope. Skeered = scared in English. Also spelled (& pronounced) skeert.
02-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #4207
Veteran Member

Ooh, painful. Common here in Minnesota also where the elementary schools teach the "Minnesota Shuffle" as essential curriculum that is tested at graduation from 6th grade. The Minnesota Shuffle uses a hockey skating slide of both feet Without Ever Lifting either foot. Lousy skater style but works to have two flat feet on icy ground. The Shuffle reduces fall damage to embarrassment when we tip sideways into snow banks. The Shuffle requires tha a walker is always within inseam length of soft snow. Not a problem.

International Falls, Minnesota teaches skating and kids glide to school when the bus tires spin. Warroad, being Hockey Capitol, also celebrates winter nonsense like stock car races on frozen lakes. And of course Walker, my neighborhood, has the ice fishing Eel Pout Festival later this month.

Hope you feel better very soon.

02-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #4208
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Two things that are better in the snow: Doing donuts!!(not food) and bumper sliding!! WOOO HOOO!!
02-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #4209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Usually these apocalyptic images of thirty foot snow depths are from avalanches. In this image maybe the power company could not afford poles over ten feet high on the upper plains of NDak?
By the way, Plains states normally only requires over thirteen feet of vertical clearance to power lines. But in a ditch, they figure who cares. More than once I have stood in the bed of a pickup with a yardstick in extended arm, always in very dry weather, to measure actual utility line clearances over line of travel. They mess up in the ditches and then a family buys a chunk of land, installs a culvert and driveway, and the first lumber truck knocks out power to half the County.
02-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #4210
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Ooh, painful. Common here in Minnesota also where the elementary schools teach the "Minnesota Shuffle" as essential curriculum that is tested at graduation from 6th grade. The Minnesota Shuffle uses a hockey skating slide of both feet Without Ever Lifting either foot. Lousy skater style but works to have two flat feet on icy ground. The Shuffle reduces fall damage to embarrassment when we tip sideways into snow banks. The Shuffle requires tha a walker is always within inseam length of soft snow. Not a problem.

International Falls, Minnesota teaches skating and kids glide to school when the bus tires spin. Warroad, being Hockey Capitol, also celebrates winter nonsense like stock car races on frozen lakes. And of course Walker, my neighborhood, has the ice fishing Eel Pout Festival later this month.

Hope you feel better very soon.
Seriously? See, now I know I AM just not equipped to deal with the snow & ice. Gimme my sandals back! I seriously, no lie, had to BUY an ACTUAL jacket. (All I previously owned was a zippered hoodie, because that's all I've needed.) Now they're saying we might get hit again next weekend. WTF?!?
02-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #4211
Veteran Member

Two things that are better in the snow: Doing donuts!!(not food) and bumper sliding!! WOOO HOOO!!
Yes. I used to seek out bad snow days to drive around in my 4 wheel drive. This obsession began in high school, when my friends and I would drive onto Medicine Lake and do 360s. Never hit an ice fisherman or his shack. Best conditions are in early winter with no snow on new and strong ice after nighttime lows below -10F. Same conditions preferred by sail driven iceboats. Snow never is welcome on top of ice. But as a skier, I anxiously worried if enough snow to bury rocks and make the best Runs smooth would ever happen.
02-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #4212
Veteran Member

Seriously? See, now I know I AM just not equipped to deal with the snow & ice. Gimme my sandals back! I seriously, no lie, had to BUY an ACTUAL jacket. (All I previously owned was a zippered hoodie, because that's all I've needed.) Now they're saying we might get hit again next weekend. WTF?!?
Winter kit for photography includes snowshoes with ski poles. Not those little Jogger Snowshoes made for packed trails. I have long bent Ash wood with rawhide lacing. They hold me up until the snow is more than 24" deep. If a thaw has created an ice layer in the snow, the shoes will work at unlimited depth. My shoes were handmade and strung, are slender to fit between brush and long enough o support me.

Until I fall sideways. Which always happens. The ski poles help to get vertical once again. Here there is nobody passing by to help.
02-01-2014, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #4213
Site Supporter

Tonight's low: 55℉. That's more like it. Not 16-18℉. Honestly, how do people live in places so inhospitable? What do your medical personnel wear? Thermals under their scrubs? Or layers over them that they take off after they get inside? Scrubs are basically pajamas. Summer weight pajamas...
02-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #4214
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love doughnuts. What is bumper sliding? Getting dragged behind a vehicle, at high speeds, on public roads

And not buying the K3 after replacing the power supply (miss-diagnosed noisy fan). HDD (managed to bust the SATA connector while swapping out the power supply) and the video card (actual culprit for the squealing fan bearing) in my puter last night.
02-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #4215
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I love doughnuts. What is bumper sliding? Getting dragged behind a vehicle, at high speeds, on public roads

And not buying the K3 after replacing the power supply (miss-diagnosed noisy fan). HDD (managed to bust the SATA connector while swapping out the power supply) and the video card (actual culprit for the squealing fan bearing) in my puter last night.
Ouch! Hopefully, you're able to recover your data from your drive. Or you have backups, somewhere.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »