Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #4216
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Tonight's low: 55℉. That's more like it. Not 16-18℉. Honestly, how do people live in places so inhospitable? What do your medical personnel wear? Thermals under their scrubs? Or layers over them that they take off after they get inside? Scrubs are basically pajamas. Summer weight pajamas...
Never explored what a nurse wears under her scrubs. Might be informative.

We have central heating.I have a nephew in Oxford, England who visits Minnesota at Christmas to get warm. He says they heat those old buildings with warmed bricks. It is possible that the successful conclusion of the American Revolution was due to cold RedCoats! Valley Forge! Very chilly with ice chunks on the water. Cornwall surrendering looked in the painting like he was relaxing because he was finally warm. Napoleon invaded Russia and was defeated by the Russian People and Army, and was destroyed on the Retreat by the Russian Winter. Hitler invaded Russia and his invading army was destroyed in Stalingrad (now "Volgograd" I think? please do not be offended if I am wrong about the current name). Napoleon first, then the Germans made the long and agonizing cold march across Russia. And the winter beat them on their Retreat.

So I forgot the point of this post. Other than cold is not always bad and those who forget the cold are doomed to repeat it among the frozen bodies of their invading armies. Which is a bit of point, but hope your cracked tailbone repairs quickly. I know that here in Minnesota there is no treatment other than sitting on a foam toilet seat; all the time.

02-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #4217
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tonight's low: 55℉. That's more like it. Not 16-18℉. Honestly, how do people live in places so inhospitable? What do your medical personnel wear? Thermals under their scrubs? Or layers over them that they take off after they get inside? Scrubs are basically pajamas. Summer weight pajamas...
We used to wear 3 or 4 layers to and from school. Mostly just 3. Had the long underwear, then long thermal underwear and jeans or wool pants, weather dictated.
Two to 3 layers of socks, wool mostly. Forget gloves... mittens, two layers of them, wool inside with leather or some synthetic outside.
Had to peel out of this stuff when inside and put them back on before going out, not fun at all.
02-01-2014, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #4218
Site Supporter

On the Gulf Coast, we use heat pumps. Which doesn't work very well in 15℉ weather. Thus, the space heater phenomenon. And the problems ensuing, such as fires.
02-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #4219
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was a medic in the Air Force for many years. I worked the E. R. and med/surg units. What we wore under our scrubs in the winter was the same thing we wore under them in the summer. Our buildings were heated.

02-01-2014, 05:02 PM   #4220
Site Supporter

Yeah, but I'm talking about the walk from the car to the building. I've got some cold natured friends who wear long thermal underwear under their scrubs & still want to jack our thermostat to 80℉. I prefer 68-72℉ myself. And I don't wear extra under things under my scrubs. Just the basics.
02-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #4221
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ouch! Hopefully, you're able to recover your data from your drive. Or you have backups, somewhere.
Funny you would mention that.
It was a nightmare to get that cable to make good contact with the pins on the HDD. It did work after several attempts and I was able to clone the drive.

edit: So now I have a 750 watt modular power-supply, new SATA HDD, good for an other 3-5 years. New video card that can handle full resolution "battle for Europe" air war.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 02-01-2014 at 05:13 PM.
02-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #4222
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, but I'm talking about the walk from the car to the building. I've got some cold natured friends who wear long thermal underwear under their scrubs & still want to jack our thermostat to 80℉. I prefer 68-72℉ myself. And I don't wear extra under things under my scrubs. Just the basics.
Walk from the car? Around here we don't even need a jacket for short trips like that. Well, maybe when it's cold, like -20 or more.

02-01-2014, 05:20 PM   #4223
Veteran Member

House Up North, heated by propane furnace and wood fireplace. I just spent a week up there in some of the coldest weather since owning the house. I was able to keep the house at 60 degrees inside when the outside was -35F. Turned the propane furnace Off. This is a 95 degree difference. No ASTM standard suggests this is required. Minn Building Code does not require that we are comfortable in Arctic blasts. these standards are minimums. I guess I was kind of comfortable. Colder nights and frigid mornings before the fireplace began kicking out serious heat. But it is okay.
02-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #4224
Veteran Member

Maybe we should show a picture?
02-01-2014, 05:26 PM   #4225
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Maybe we should show a picture?
Picture of what, snow?
02-01-2014, 05:26 PM   #4226
Veteran Member

Cold Lake

Photo shot before the deep ice.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/59755-waterfall/albums/7711-rando...cture68230.jpg
02-01-2014, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #4227
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Funny you would mention that.
It was a nightmare to get that cable to make good contact with the pins on the HDD. It did work after several attempts and I was able to clone the drive.

edit: So now I have a 750 watt modular power-supply, new SATA HDD, good for an other 3-5 years. New video card that can handle full resolution "battle for Europe" air war.
My husband LOVES our modular PSUs. Makes his cabling much easier, faster & the end result is neater, promoting improved airflow. Win, win, win!
02-01-2014, 05:30 PM   #4228
Veteran Member

Usually these apocalyptic images of thirty foot snow depths are from avalanches. In this image maybe the power company could not afford poles over ten feet high on the upper plains of NDak?

My wife got a series of this type image, reputably from Russia. I can see where this one might be faked but the house and car images not so much.
02-01-2014, 05:31 PM   #4229
Veteran Member

Autumn Shot. Early morning, tough sun burst. Around 10:00 am. Bad stuff from the direct sun in the image, but the photo shows the Lake at a pristine time. This photo shows the most boats I have seen on Williams Lake at one time.
02-01-2014, 05:31 PM   #4230
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My husband LOVES our modular PSUs. Makes his cabling much easier, faster & the end result is neater, promoting improved airflow. Win, win, win!
This corsair came with so many cable options it made me smile.