Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #4411
Site Supporter

I thought the fox says ting-ting-ting-ting?

02-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #4412
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I thought the fox says ting-ting-ting-ting?
That's actually Norwegian for "pure evil"

Well, now it is
02-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #4413
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I went back to page 52 - and despite thinking that I had followed this thread right through, I don't remember the talk about double negatives and the other stuff on that page. Do I now have to go back to the start and follow it through? Do I just accept that I am forgetful, or that I really missed it? Or do I say 'stuff itall' and unregister from the thread?
02-04-2014, 02:44 PM - 3 Likes   #4414
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It is complex and historically driven. They are (I believe) Orthodox, and as they interpret their religion, accepting orders over the internet on the Sabbath which are then processed afterward, constitutes working on the Sabbath. Both B&H and Adorama are very clear about this on Fridays and Saturdays on their websites. They offer plenty of advance warning.

Many Orthodox don't drive on the Sabbath, either, and in many cases don't use electric lights. In my neighborhood growing up there were many temples, each within a walking distance radius of its members.
At Adorama we do appreciate that our closing times can be inconvenient to some of our potential customers.
Adorama's owner is an observant orthodox Jewish gentleman, whose beliefs prohibit him - his family and his business - from operating on the Sabbath and on many of the religious holidays (which all begin an hour prior to sunset the evening before the day of the holiday, which is why we close early on Fridays).

We can't employ non-Jews here during those days, because to do so would involve the company conducting business - which is forbidden in Jewish Law.

In this era of 24-hour commerce which seems to take for granted that we all sleep with our i-phones under our pillows and work a relentless 60 or 70 hours a week, the Sabbath is a special time for us to be with family and friends.
I guess it's unusual to find that there really are still people who consider their spiritual duty to be more important than making a profit out of our customers at every opportunity. I receive frequent emails from customers who state that in this day and age it is comforting to know there are people around who do not place money before all else.

Many businesses in the US and elsewhere in the world force employees to work on holidays when the time is better spent with their friends and families - or just relaxing by themselves

We are grateful for the understanding of our customers that this is an important element of our owner's value system. Perhaps the following links to articles in the Washington Post & the New York Times will help to make some sense of our closure policies:

Ruling Guides Orthodox Sites' Sabbath Sales - WSJ.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/09/te...=1&oref=slogin

02-04-2014, 02:45 PM   #4415
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I went back to page 52 - and despite thinking that I had followed this thread right through, I don't remember the talk about double negatives and the other stuff on that page. Do I now have to go back to the start and follow it through? Do I just accept that I am forgetful, or that I really missed it? Or do I say 'stuff itall' and unregister from the thread?
You definitely have to go back and reread. Or you don't have to not go back?

And I should probably go to bed...
02-04-2014, 02:53 PM - 2 Likes   #4416
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Which reminds me of a French Canadian mechanic working on my car… He said " You need a part… I don't know what you call it in English, but in French we call it a "Shock absorber". Shock absorber pronounced with a heavy french accent and emphasis placed on the "er". ....
Back from page 52 ... here's what was so important: Accents ...

I love a good Quebec accent ... makes me feel so fluent and as ease with my own American accent ... the horrible thing is that most French people take my accent to be British !!! What an insult ... J

"And now back to our regularly scheduled program" ... PS - found this link, have no idea what it's about, going to bed, y'all hash it out for me and send me an "executive summary" style post ... bonne nuit, J

Monty Python | I Can't Watch, Is It Over Yet?

BACON! | I Can't Watch, Is It Over Yet?

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 02-04-2014 at 03:02 PM.
02-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #4417

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I fear Norm may be right here, folks. This may be the first case in PF history of a derailed thread getting derailed.

We need to save this thread, so let's get it properly back off track.
My apologies. My memory must have been affected by the time jump. It happened on p 54. This was entry #803. Just imagine how history could have turned out if Parallax hadn't stepped in. Our hero!

02-04-2014, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #4418
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
The only time I ever early-adopted anything was when Exile on Main Street came out. Went to Radio 437 in Philly and got it the first day out. All in all it was a good experience. So I wonder why I haven't repeated it.
want to see something eerie: The first post on page 37 is mine which contains the number 37.
there's a whole numerology thing on 37, and of course Lou Reed sings 'you're number 37 have a look' in Femme Fatale...

Here she comes, you better watch your step
She’s going to break your heart in two, it’s true
It’s not hard to realize just look into her false colored eyes
She'll build you up to just put you down, what a clown

You're put down in her book
You're number thirty seven, have a look
She's going to smile to make you frown, what a clown
Little boy, she's from the street
Before you start, you're already beat
She's going to play you for a fool, yes it's true

Which Lou could have written about the K-3, some 57 years ago (the Hocir Time Machine), and the K-3 has seven digital filters, and at the time of introduction was the seventh Pentax SLR... The K-3 was announced on October 7, 2013...

A while back I found a 37 society dedicated to the discovery, explication and so on of this 37th (if you count 1) prime number.
02-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #4419
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
At Adorama we do appreciate that our closing times can be inconvenient to some of our potential customers.
Adorama's owner is an observant orthodox Jewish gentleman, whose beliefs prohibit him - his family and his business - from operating on the Sabbath and on many of the religious holidays (which all begin an hour prior to sunset the evening before the day of the holiday, which is why we close early on Fridays).

We can't employ non-Jews here during those days, because to do so would involve the company conducting business - which is forbidden in Jewish Law.

In this era of 24-hour commerce which seems to take for granted that we all sleep with our i-phones under our pillows and work a relentless 60 or 70 hours a week, the Sabbath is a special time for us to be with family and friends.
I guess it's unusual to find that there really are still people who consider their spiritual duty to be more important than making a profit out of our customers at every opportunity. I receive frequent emails from customers who state that in this day and age it is comforting to know there are people around who do not place money before all else.

Many businesses in the US and elsewhere in the world force employees to work on holidays when the time is better spent with their friends and families - or just relaxing by themselves

We are grateful for the understanding of our customers that this is an important element of our owner's value system. Perhaps the following links to articles in the Washington Post & the New York Times will help to make some sense of our closure policies:

Ruling Guides Orthodox Sites' Sabbath Sales - WSJ.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/09/te...=1&oref=slogin
Thank you for posting. I don't think anyone is upset for the company being observant of the religious beliefs of its owners. I think the customer who had an issue didn't get a clear communication regarding what time the order processing would shut down. It created frustration that was then diminished & marginalized by customer service, which should NEVER happen.
02-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #4420
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Or do I say 'stuff itall' and unregister from the thread?
Ha, that won't work - you'll be sucked back into the thread. Believe me.

- Craig

PS. Apologies for interrupting the thought flow of Helen Oster and dansamy.
02-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #4421
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
That's actually Norwegian for "pure evil"
I always thought evil in Norway was spelled Vidkun Quisling!
02-04-2014, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #4422
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
I always thought evil in Norway was spelled Vidkun Quisling!
Is that a beer? Or a gross food product?
02-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #4423
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
Thank you Helen for checking in here.

Steve
02-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #4424
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Is that a beer? Or a gross food product?
Gross human being!!!
Actually Quisling was a Nazi collaborator. during WWII. Helped to keep Norway subdued during the war. Got his in the end!!!
02-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #4425
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
bidding on this beauty to appease the future taskmasters ... Ricoh TLS 401 Noir OBJ Rikenon 50mm 1 7 M42 Argentique À Double Visée Notice | eBay
Very Nice Hocir! If you win, you are going to like the Ekirnon 50/1.7.

Steve