Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2014, 07:04 AM   #5506
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Wow. ... A French poet transplanted from Oklahoma. ... And all agree that hociR is bad Ju Ju.
Please stop ... you're making me blush J (a "cheap" reply to boost up my post numbers for the Feb. contest ... ha !!!)

02-16-2014, 07:21 AM   #5507
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I'm no poet. So I've nothing to say. Other than that I'm not going to get a K-3. That nothing can sway

Certainly no raffle tickets for me these days, even if they're slow.
02-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #5508
Site Supporter

A nurse with a chance at a promising career as a statistician. Or perhaps a network administrator.

And all agree that hociR is bad Ju Ju.
We do build our own PCs. Have for years. I can remember ordering "bare bones" kits from the ads in the back of one of the computer magazines. Before e-commerce took over the world. And they sent a printed catalogue with your order...
02-16-2014, 07:30 AM   #5509
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Well, I'm no poet. So I've nothing to say. Other than that I'm not going to get a K-3. That nothing can sway

Certainly no raffle tickets for me these days, even if they're slow.
Posting a gratuitous reply for raffle ticket count: No K-3 for me until 4-year warranty on K-5 expires ... Countdown = "T minus 20 months !!!" ... damn, that's aways off ... J (Plus by that time the FF will be in its 4th generation )

02-16-2014, 07:45 AM - 2 Likes   #5510
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
We do build our own PCs. Have for years. I can remember ordering "bare bones" kits from the ads in the back of one of the computer magazines. Before e-commerce took over the world. And they sent a printed catalogue with your order...
My first PC was a hand me down that was originally from Boeing Surplus. Mrs. Racer's son gave it to me, and after it sat around for a few months she threatened to toss it if I didn't do something with it.

So I did.

The OS was WinBlows 95.

And it wasn't long before I had the case open, and was upgrading things. Soon it just wasn't cutting it, so I went to the local computer store (find one of those today!) and got a motherboard, processor, memory, etc. and built my first machine.

The rest is history.

I have built every computer I own since then. Currently I have 4 desktop machines, two that are CAD workstations with dual display systems, and 5 laptops, which I dislike because you can't really build one and the screens are too small. I also have a LAN set up in my house. When we were building I ran all the CAT 5 network stuff, and have a place in the basement for a server, which I plan to build soon (why spend several thousand bucks when you can build for a few hundred?).

Each of the desktop machines I have built cost about $1,000 to buy the components. When people learn of my technical skills they ask if I can build one for them, and when I tell them what the parts will cost and that I want something for my labor the balk and whine that "So and so had a computer for $200!"

I try to explain the difference between a $200 computer and what I would put together and their eyes glaze over. I even try to make clear that one could spend 3 times what I do to put together a CAD workstation or a killer gaming machine, but they still just don't get it.

So I tell them to go buy the $200 machine and have fun.
02-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #5511
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Posting a gratuitous reply for raffle ticket count: No K-3 for me until 4-year warranty on K-5 expires ... Countdown = "T minus 20 months !!!" ... damn, that's aways off ... J (Plus by that time the FF will be in its 4th generation )
Ah, but what if the fabled (and utterly pointless, of course) FF carries the mark of hociR? In 4 generations?

I'm looking forward to the coming WIWBAFF thread
02-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #5512
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We drink good beer, eat bacon, cheese and pickled herring.
.... and igunaq and lutefisk. You forgot the igunaq and lutefisk.

02-16-2014, 07:48 AM   #5513
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You mean he "forgot", right?
02-16-2014, 07:50 AM   #5514
Site Supporter

My first PC was a hand me down that was originally from Boeing Surplus. Mrs. Racer's son gave it to me, and after it sat around for a few months she threatened to toss it if I didn't do something with it.

So I did.

The OS was WinBlows 95.

And it wasn't long before I had the case open, and was upgrading things. Soon it just wasn't cutting it, so I went to the local computer store (find one of those today!) and got a motherboard, processor, memory, etc. and built my first machine.

The rest is history.

I have built every computer I own since then. Currently I have 4 desktop machines, two that are CAD workstations with dual display systems, and 5 laptops, which I dislike because you can't really build one and the screens are too small. I also have a LAN set up in my house. When we were building I ran all the CAT 5 network stuff, and have a place in the basement for a server, which I plan to build soon (why spend several thousand bucks when you can build for a few hundred?).

Each of the desktop machines I have built cost about $1,000 to buy the components. When people learn of my technical skills they ask if I can build one for them, and when I tell them what the parts will cost and that I want something for my labor the balk and whine that "So and so had a computer for $200!"

I try to explain the difference between a $200 computer and what I would put together and their eyes glaze over. I even try to make clear that one could spend 3 times what I do to put together a CAD workstation or a killer gaming machine, but they still just don't get it.

So I tell them to go buy the $200 machine and have fun.
I think you & my husband would get along really well!
02-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #5515
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Building my own PCs? Not any more. Used to do that in the past, but I'm getting lazy. Work with servers all day, want to spend my free time on other things!
02-16-2014, 08:22 AM   #5516
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Forgot, or "forgot", the thing is, I didn't remember.

Y'all can have me horsewhipped later.

And hociR can watch.
02-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #5517
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect that was the case. Not everyone has an appreciation for fine cuisine.
02-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #5518
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I think you & my husband would get along really well!
During intimate and passionate moments I always tell Mrs. Racer to "Talk Nerdy to me".

02-16-2014, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #5519
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow.

As another pointed out, this has to be the most bizarre thread ever. Not just here at Pentax Forums, but on the entire internet.

Think about it.
I actually considered moving this thread to GT a while back, but a big part of this thread's apeal is its title and its less than appropriate location. A movie of artists and art critics in the Louvre discussing art is a documentary. A movie of the Three Stooges in the Louvre discussing their view of life and the world; well THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT!

Last edited by Parallax; 02-16-2014 at 09:16 AM.
02-16-2014, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #5520
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I actually considered moving this thread to GT a while back, but a big part of this thread's apeal is its title and its less than appropriate location. A movie of artists and art critics in the Louvre discussing art is a documentary. A movie of the Three Stooges in the Louvre discussing their view of life and the world; well THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT!
Very good points.

Two similar yet never converging points of view.

Parallel.

Not Parallax.

I think . . . . .

What would hociR say?