Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108808 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #5566
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. I did the math though. Fifteen years lifespan for the new hip; maybe ten on the rest of the original parts. If I outlive the hip, I won't be walking all that much anyway

02-16-2014, 03:01 PM   #5567
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
What's your password, I'll see if I can pick up the signal
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
hociR?
OMG.

Better yet, make that your SSID Broadcast.
02-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #5568
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Aieee! My first computer was an IBM S/34, and we used 10-floppy magazines! (No, I don't have any spare parts for that monster)
Apple IIe. Moved up to a second-hand Mac Plus with a whopping 512K installed by the original owner. One drive so I broke down after a few months and got an external drive. Got tired of switching disks in Excel and Word - load a bit of program, switch, load a bit of data, switch, load a bit of program ..... Paid $250.00 for the external drive as I recall. Big money in those days.
02-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #5569
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I just wanted to be an informed patient and reduce the chances that I may need to contact some late night lawyer.

Or buy a K3.
So... If I had to make the choice, what would you deem to cause the most discomfort; a hip replacement, or buying a K-3?

---------- Post added 2014-02-16 at 23:20 ----------

Aieee! My first computer was an IBM S/34, and we used 10-floppy magazines! (No, I don't have any spare parts for that monster)
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Apple IIe. Moved up to a second-hand Mac Plus with a whopping 512K installed by the original owner. One drive so I broke down after a few months and got an external drive. Got tired of switching disks in Excel and Word - load a bit of program, switch, load a bit of data, switch, load a bit of program ..... Paid $250.00 for the external drive as I recall. Big money in those days.
Commodore 64 Then an IBM XT with a hard disk! A whopping 10 MB. Didn't know what I should use all that space for.

And now my main pc has about 12,000 times more memory than the XT had disk space. Things have happened

And yet I won't get me a K-3.

02-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #5570
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Thanks. I did the math though. Fifteen years lifespan for the new hip; maybe ten on the rest of the original parts. If I outlive the hip, I won't be walking all that much anyway
I was told 15 to 20 years, depending on how hard I am in it. Still better than any other joint replacement.

Knees are 5 to 8 years, IF they are successful.

Shoulder or elbow, about the same.

I would like to try the spinal disc re0placement that has come out recently. I have 2 ruptured lumbar discs, 2 compression fractured thoracic vertebrae, and my cervical spine is a mess from an accident on the trampoline in high school gymnastics so many years ago. The constant daily pain sometimes really gets me down.

Something hociR cannot help with.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
OMG.

Mine is FBI Surveillance Van.

So... If I had to make the choice, what would you deem to cause the most discomfort; a hip replacement, or buying a K-3?
K3 hands down.

With the hip revision thee was considerable discomfort, but I was up walking the day after surgery, and after about 30 to 40 days the pain was almost completely gone. Now that it is fully healed, I am 1,000 times better than before the surgery.

Something about bone on bone and severe necrosis that really can cause severe pain.

Almost as much as hociR.
02-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #5571
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lucky you - your own Orchid House.

We can go as extreme as bromeliads, but they have to come in for a few months. We've never winterized the glass room. Orchids aren't possible
Well, it isn't big enough to change your mind in...most of the orchids are actually outside it, various and sundry contrivances around the yard. Topic for a different thread, doubtless, but I am quite sure orchids are possible. You just need to select the right ones for the conditions you have.

Which means you have to choose between them and hociR...
02-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #5572
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Which means you have to choose between them and hociR...
Easy choice!

02-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #5573
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Easy choice!
In this context, yessir!
02-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #5574
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was up walking the day after surgery, and after about 30 to 40 days the pain was almost completely gone.
Yup. Up the next day. My dear little nurse gave me heck. Went down to the T.V. Room the next day and she lost me. Never had any pain to speak of. The few days I was incarcerated, one chap kept waking me up to advise that he was there to help me with pain management. The third morning he came, I rather forcefully explained what he could do with his 6:30 AM wake-up call, inferring that a little more sleep would go long way towards my forgiving his enthusiasm.
02-16-2014, 04:40 PM   #5575
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
What's your password, I'll see if I can pick up the signal
Hah. You sure you want it, id be affraid.
02-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #5576
Site Supporter

April 10, 2013. They didn't tell me the brand but I did see hociR packaging in the OR.
You should have received a card with the brand, model & serial number of the part.
02-16-2014, 04:56 PM   #5577
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
You should have received a card with the brand, model & serial number of the part.
I had to whine to the surgeon to get mine. Then the info they placed in the on the card rubbed off.

You just can't get good help these days.

Another reason to shy from the K3.
02-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #5578
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We are back on the net. With new hardware and a happy wife. I hope it stays running...cost a lot in bacon and cheese.
02-16-2014, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #5579
Veteran Member

I did a lot of research before I gave the go ahead for the surgery. One thing I found was that every now and then they redesign the things. Apparently those things get installed, and then as the parts rub on each other and wear small particles are deposited in the joint area. Since the body has a difficult time carrying the stuff away, and also does not deal with foreign matter well, many problems develop.

Over the years different materials have been tried. Plastic on metal. Metal on plastic. Metal on metal. Since there is no longer natural lubrication, various materials have been tried.

Also, various methods for implanting and attaching them have been tried, screws, adhesives, etc.

After a few hundred thousand have been implanted and the patients get some miles on them, the problems begin to manifest themselves.

I decided if I was going to let some sawbones open a 10" to 12" gash in my hip, cut off the end of the femur and pound a stem into it, and then take a tool like a hemispherical cheesegrater (notice how I tied cheese into the discussion) and carve a cup into my pelvis for the acetabular cup, and then connect it together with a ceramic ball and a highly cross linked polyethylene cup, I needed to learn as much as I could about the whole process.

After all, there is no end to ambulance chasing barristers advertising on late night TV about "you or a loved one" having "complications or death" from a hip revision.

Mine is titanium, ceramic and highly cross linked polyethylene (plastic), made by a company called Stryker. The stem and the acetabular cup have a titanium coating on them that has some tooth to it, so that as the bone heals it actually grows to the coating, negating the need for screws or adhesives. The ball and socket are replaceable, without the need to remove the stem and acetabular cup, and thereby allowing for a much longer service life of the prosthesis and reducing the risks of running out of bone to attach it to.

I just wanted to be an informed patient and reduce the chances that I may need to contact some late night lawyer.

Or buy a K3.
Racer, I have the same type of hip. Done in 2008. Redone after massive infection in 2008.5. Now all is well.
02-16-2014, 05:12 PM - 2 Likes   #5580
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

hociR?
OMG.

I tried, but this is what it displays: