Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #5716
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Do you remember doing that in middle school? LOL I do.
I remember ther amoebas but we called it "junior high school" in my day.

02-17-2014, 08:36 PM   #5717
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I can't really blame them after seeing what kids are taught in school.
What cinched it for us was when my eldest was going into middle school. There's a huge issue here locally with 12 year old children experimenting sexually. Including some who were suspended for oral sex on the school bus.

I've seen 13 year olds come into my hospital in labor. Children who conceived their first child at 12.
02-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #5718
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That is nuts! At 13 I was thinking more about riding bicycles and playing kick ball.
02-17-2014, 08:42 PM   #5719
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I remember ther amoebas but we called it "junior high school" in my day.
I think it may be a regional thing, they call it junior high out here, but in the south we called it middle school. Maybe I am strange(The Jury is still out on that one)

02-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #5720
Site Supporter

At 13, I think I was probably playing with My Little Ponies & Barbies. Honestly, I didn't even date really until I was 19 or 20.
I was just too involved in band, choir, etc.
02-17-2014, 08:44 PM   #5721
Site Supporter

It was Junior High when I lived in California, but Middle School both when I lived in Indiana and in Tennessee.

Ohh, and have your kid tell them he's from LA next time they ask about the accent. You know, Lower Alabama!
02-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #5722
Veteran Member

You know, Lower Alabama!
LMAO, ya we are from Huntsville, which is only 30 mins from Tennessee

02-17-2014, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #5723
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Originally posted by Racer X 69 Quote Autoshop and woodshop either.
You are correct sir, its a shame that kids wont learn these valuable skills. I sometimes wonder what the hell these people are thinking. Thats how I know I am getting old.
A private, all male, blue blazer and gray flannel slacks Prep School that I know of closed the Lower School Wood Shop (5th & 6th Grades) one summer in the early 90's and converted the space to math classrooms. At the first subsequent Board Meeting the Headmaster was asked why he had done that. He replied, "Because people who send their children here buy things they don't make them."

"Interesting," a Board member said, opening his satchel. "Here's this month's Architectural Digest. Page 67 - the caption next to the woven rush seat footstool - it was made by the brother of the owner of the featured Park Avenue apartment. He graduated with me in 1973 and we each made one of those stools in the shop you just closed."

It was said one could hear a pin drop in the Board Meeting. The following July 1st that Headmaster was elsewhere.

But they still closed the Wood Shop. And that Board Member quietly resigned.
02-17-2014, 08:54 PM   #5724
Site Supporter

LMAO, ya we are from Huntsville, which is only 30 mins from Tennessee
Why in the world move from Huntsville? I have friends there, and when I visit I head down 65 to Ardmore and get off, then take hwy 53 on into Huntsville. Sure, I miss the coolest welcome center by doing that (where else has a Saturn 5 in their welcome center) but it's less than 2 hours from here!
02-17-2014, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #5725
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Originally posted by Racer X 69 Quote Autoshop and woodshop either.
A private, all male, blue blazer and gray flannel slacks Prep School that I know of closed the Lower School Wood Shop (5th & 6th Grades) one summer in the early 90's and converted the space to math classrooms. At the first subsequent Board Meeting the Headmaster was asked why he had done that. He replied, "Because people who send their children here buy things they don't make them."

"Interesting," a Board member said, opening his satchel. "Here's this month's Architectural Digest. Page 67 - the caption next to the woven rush seat footstool - it was made by the brother of the owner of the featured Park Avenue apartment. He graduated with me in 1973 and we each made one of those stools in the shop you just closed."

It was said one could hear a pin drop in the Board Meeting. The following July 1st that Headmaster was elsewhere.

But they still closed the Wood Shop. And that Board Member quietly resigned.
It almost feels like the time of the man's man is coming to an end. The amount of kids being taught how to make things, fix things, and to do things for yourself is really dwindling. Woodshop/Autoshop is fading, boyscout participation is dwindling. There are still some of us parents with young ones that teach them how to be self sufficient. Far to many kids only want to play video games and stay inside. My little adventures I take the family on every weekend allow me to take pictures of some of the most beautiful places in the world, but they also allow me to show my children that there are far better things to do than play a video game.

Sometimes I want to go on these adventures alone and clear my head, but I can say I have never went without taking one of my boys. We love every minute of it.

---------- Post added 02-17-2014 at 09:58 PM ----------

Why in the world move from Huntsville? I have friends there, and when I visit I head down 65 to Ardmore and get off, then take hwy 53 on into Huntsville. Sure, I miss the coolest welcome center by doing that (where else has a Saturn 5 in their welcome center) but it's less than 2 hours from here!
I was offered a really nice job at Lawrence Livermore National labs. I miss Huntsville, it is a great city(plus my parents still live there)

The thing that irritates me the most is the fact that a lot of people assume because I am from Alabama that I fit the typical stereotype. Not many people realize the level of technology in Huntsville and what Huntsville does for this country.
02-17-2014, 08:59 PM   #5726
Site Supporter

All right, some of you lot need to find something I've posted today to like. I'm a generous girl. I like a bunch of y'all's posts. Reciprocate! Or you'll be assimilated into the hociR collective.

j2photos, both of my boys are Scouts. I've tried to teach them strong independent DIY skills. My oldest does the majority of the cooking here at home. He's 14.
02-17-2014, 08:59 PM   #5727
Site Supporter

That is why I can't wait for it to warm up. Getting away by myself and taking pictures or just appreciating nature relaxes me.
02-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #5728
Veteran Member

That is why I can't wait for it to warm up. Getting away by myself and taking pictures or just appreciating nature relaxes me.
Nothing stops my family adventures, There were 60mph winds and it was pouring when we went to Shasta. The rain hit my face so hard it hurt. But I also understand it has been crazy cold where you are.
02-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #5729
Site Supporter

Yeah, this Saturday it is supposed to be nice, so I will get out on the Natchez Trace Parkway for some pics.
02-17-2014, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #5730
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have heard of this tread. One of the mods mentioned it. I figure I should check it out, though I am NOT reading all of it.

Ohh, and I do my own SCIENCE.
What kind of a moderator would direct anyone here? confused2