What kind of a moderator would direct anyone here? :confused2:
Certainly not Parallax! He would NEVER do such a thing

02-17-2014, 09:16 PM - 1 Like   #5732
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
A private, all male, blue blazer and gray flannel slacks Prep School that I know of closed the Lower School Wood Shop (5th & 6th Grades) one summer in the early 90's and converted the space to math classrooms. At the first subsequent Board Meeting the Headmaster was asked why he had done that. He replied, "Because people who send their children here buy things they don't make them."

"Interesting," a Board member said, opening his satchel. "Here's this month's Architectural Digest. Page 67 - the caption next to the woven rush seat footstool - it was made by the brother of the owner of the featured Park Avenue apartment. He graduated with me in 1973 and we each made one of those stools in the shop you just closed."

It was said one could hear a pin drop in the Board Meeting. The following July 1st that Headmaster was elsewhere.

But they still closed the Wood Shop. And that Board Member quietly resigned.
Sad how the things we teach our children are changing. The other day on NPR they did a bit about how some schools are teaching computer sciences, hardware, software, programming.

But some schools (read inner city) are not. One school administrator responded when asked, "Why yes, we teach computer stuff in this school. We have computers in all the classrooms!"

Apparently this dope thinks that by simply having the things around the students are learning about the inner workings of them.

That is like saying that because I drive a Porsche I am an expert mechanic.

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
The thing that irritates me the most is the fact that a lot of people assume because I am from Alabama that I fit the typical stereotype. Not many people realize the level of technology in Huntsville and what Huntsville does for this country.
There are smart people everywhere.

There are not so smart people everywhere.

There is no geographic concentration of ignorance.

Or intelligence.

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
All right, some of you lot need to find something I've posted today to like. I'm a generous girl. I like a bunch of y'all's posts. Reciprocate! Or you'll be assimilated into the hociR collective.
7-Up.

You like it.

It likes you.

j2photos, both of my boys are Scouts. I've tried to teach them strong independent DIY skills. My oldest does the majority of the cooking here at home. He's 14.
I was a scout. I had some merit badges too.

This was long before I became a stunt driver for Burt Reynolds and took up with Sally Field.
02-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #5733
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A Senior one would,
02-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #5734
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
boyscout participation is dwindling
Well we have to take responsibility for our own - but that's always been true.

FWIW Boy Scout participation is down slightly this year from last - but last year was the all time high number of Scouts and adult leaders. I just started my 30th or so year as a registered leader in Scouting (plus my time in Youth Service). Now I mostly teach new adults how to be leaders and work with the Co-Ed Boy Scouting program - Venturing. (Bet you didn't know there's Co-Ed Buy Scouts, did you?).

Don't give up - the pendulum will swing back our way but we have to keep the skills alive.

02-17-2014, 09:18 PM   #5735
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
A Senior one would,
Would what?
02-17-2014, 09:18 PM - 2 Likes   #5736
Site Supporter

I am glad for my time in Boy Scouts. That's where I learned to swim.

---------- Post added 02-17-14 at 10:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Would what?
Too many replied at once. A Senior Moderator would direct my attention to this place of off topic goodness.
02-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #5737
Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/252035-people-biology...ml#post2702647

Some pictures of homeschool biology. As the resident nurse, I get to teach all the upper level sciences. Another mom, with an English degree, teaches high school literature & drama.

02-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #5738
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I am glad for my time in Boy Scouts. That's where I learned to swim.

I didn't learn to swim until I was 30. (What the ? Why is this text so small?)

Too many replied at once. A Senior Moderator would direct my attention to this place of off topic goodness.

I figured there was some snafu or another.
02-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #5739
Site Supporter

Now you need a network engineer or developer to teach computers!

I'm still not very good at it, but it is fun! Of course I have not been swimming for a couple years now. I sunburn too easily.
02-17-2014, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #5740
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
At 13, I think I was probably playing with My Little Ponies & Barbies. Honestly, I didn't even date really until I was 19 or 20.
I was just too involved in band, choir, etc.
Kids grow up much faster now. My girls, 2 and 4, are already playing with My Little Ponies.
02-17-2014, 09:29 PM   #5741
Site Supporter

I like 7-UP! It should like me too!

I'm very proud of my Boy Scouts. They learn so much. They gain so much with regard to learning to do things. Not being afraid to just get in there and try. I'll have to dig up a picture or two!
02-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #5742
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Kids grow up much faster now. My girls, 2 and 4, are already playing with My Little Ponies.
I have male friends who are in their 20s and 30s who are into My Little Pony. They are known as Bronies. I don't get it, but they harm no one, so Ohh well, let them have their fun!
02-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #5743
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm very proud of my Boy Scouts. They learn so much. They gain so much with regard to learning to do things. Not being afraid to just get in there and try. I'll have to dig up a picture or two!
My grandmother called cops boy scouts.
02-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #5744
Site Supporter

Yeah, I don't get the Bronies phenom either. Baffling...
02-17-2014, 09:35 PM   #5745
Site Supporter

I see enough of them at anime conventions. Science fiction and geek dry cons too!