Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2014, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #5911
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Me too, but that's OK.
Me, three ... and OK over here, too. I am used to the "strange" label for me... after more than 17 years in France, I still find this place strange at times ... and vice versa.

Also in French, I was antranger" (read, foreigner without nationality) ... but really closer to "stranger" in my books.

02-19-2014, 12:21 AM   #5912
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
What is wrong with you. Have you never heard of eating barb-wire and spitting out nails.
Till the K3 can do this, it is off my list.
I thought the Finns were eating raw iron and sh***ing steel chains? Or was that only Koskela?

Linna's "The Unknown Soldier" is a great book, btw.

Yeah, I'm sure Koskela wouldn't have bought a K-3.
02-19-2014, 12:47 AM   #5913
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Also in French, I was antranger" (read, foreigner without nationality) ... but really closer to "stranger" in my books.
Ever notice how when you travel to another country, in immigration you are always classified as "not something" - not a local, so you are a foreigner. But you are not any particular kind of foreigner, to reflect where you did really come from.
02-19-2014, 01:25 AM   #5914
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Ever notice how when you travel to another country, in immigration you are always classified as "not something" - not a local, so you are a foreigner. But you are not any particular kind of foreigner, to reflect where you did really come from.
True, although I'm sometimes classified as being from the EU - which I'm not. But that usually makes things easier, so I'm not complaining

And other times you'll be classified as something stuck under the immigration officer's shoe. I prefer to be a foreigner, really...

Which is another reason to stay away from the K-3.

02-19-2014, 01:32 AM   #5915
Pentaxian

True. "Foreigner" ... been there, done there ... a lot. I like the term "alien" best, as if you came from another planet. I had exchange student "foreigner" status once. Didn't matter where I came from, label = foreigner ... but, got a lot less hassle by being an American, as opposed to someone from like North Africa.

When my wife and I got married, I was "technically" an illegal alien/foreigner in France ... No valid temporary nor longer term visa (expired). The Mayor that married us was cool and "overlooked/didn't ask" about my official status in France ... Later we had troubles when the immigration laws changed upon us, and I had to back to the States for a short period of time, despite the fact that we were married ... (long, complicated story) ... Anyway, got my "papers" fixed and applied for and receive French nationality ... it makes getting a job in France much, much easier. So, it's double nationality for me, but not true double nationality by birth, like my three daughters ... but still feel like a "stranger" here at times. Some things you never quite get your head around ... J
02-19-2014, 01:42 AM   #5916
Site Supporter

I think I would miss home far too much to go ex-pat. I know that eventually, your new country becomes more home-like, but I don't think I'd ever truly settle in.
02-19-2014, 01:52 AM   #5917
Pentaxian

I think I would miss home far too much to go ex-pat. I know that eventually, your new country becomes more home-like, but I don't think I'd ever truly settle in.
I can understand. A lot of things I do not miss ... exception being so far from family and long-term friends (ie, from grade school days ..) It's weird watching your friends' kids grow and change via facebook. I think that I have settled in long ago ... at what level, oh let's say about 95% now ... still hate French drivers as a general rule. J

Another reason not to get a K-3 ... it would change none of this situation ... and like I said before, soon it will be labeled the "K-3 Classic" just like SPAM Classic. Can we talk more about SPAM now, or has that one been all hashed out?

02-19-2014, 01:54 AM   #5918
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if I would ever miss the winter. I don't think so...

But I would never want to leave the safety of home (both as in personal safety and as in social security).

Apart from that I think I could settle quite well somewhere abroad. (Not taking family bonds into account...)

But a K-3? Nope.

---------- Post added 2014-02-19 at 09:57 ----------

... still hate French drivers as a general rule. J
I still haven't met any French that didn't
02-19-2014, 05:10 AM   #5919
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it just me, or is it a bit quiet in here...?

Can't buy a K-3 under these conditions!
02-19-2014, 05:15 AM   #5920
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Is it just me, or is it a bit quiet in here...?

Can't buy a K-3 under these conditions!
Yes, it's "quiet time" on PF ... the western hemisphere should be awaking now, so maybe a bigger "buzz" will begin (again) ... I've now got meeting to catch, so you are all by yourself for the moment, J
02-19-2014, 05:24 AM   #5921
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the Province of Newfoundland, you're "from away", no matter where you're from.

Once when I was working as a local housing manager in Clyde River, we had a sensitive issue that I thought my Chairman, an old elder, ought to solve with the mayor, even though I felt I was slowly being accepted as a resident. Up here, we're Qabloonaq, outsiders, but literally the word means "eyebrows-belly". I asked him several times how discussions were going but he kept putting me off. Finally, one day, I pushed a little harder. His response was he couldn't communicate well with the mayor because he wasn't from Clyde; He had been born in Tupiktaaluq and I got the clear sense that the mayor himself wasn't fully accepted. Tupiktaaluq was the site of a USCG LORAN station, a full six miles out of town on the coast of Baffin Bay. My dream of ever being truly accepted? Hmmmm ....

Last edited by jac; 02-19-2014 at 10:11 AM.
02-19-2014, 05:59 AM   #5922
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, it's "quiet time" on PF ... the western hemisphere should be awaking now, so maybe a bigger "buzz" will begin
Yaaawwwwn. Huh? What? Just 5 more minutes..................
02-19-2014, 06:17 AM   #5923
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, it's "quiet time" on PF ... the western hemisphere should be awaking now, so maybe a bigger "buzz" will begin (again) ... I've now got meeting to catch, so you are all by yourself for the moment, J
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yaaawwwwn. Huh? What? Just 5 more minutes..................
Yes, it really is "quiet time" for the whole of PF, but this thread dies completely. Which must mean most of the nutcrackers hanging out on WIWBAK3 live in (or at least in accordance with) time zones 6-10 hours behind GMT.

Must be something in the drinking water.

---------- Post added 2014-02-19 at 14:18 ----------

Oh, and I'm never alone.

hociR never sleeps!
02-19-2014, 06:26 AM - 2 Likes   #5924
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The contributors are a very funny bunch.

Steve

(...as my mother used to say, "funny ha, ha, or funny strange..."
Hey!

I resemble that remark!

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
I'm more on the strange part of that statement.
Me too, but that's OK.
Me, three ... and OK over here, too. I am used to the "strange" label for me... after more than 17 years in France, I still find this place strange at times ... and vice versa.

Well then, it appears that we are all OK with our uniqueness. But of course.

We are all Pentaxians.

Not Canikons.

And that makes us very unique indeed.

True, although I'm sometimes classified as being from the EU - which I'm not. But that usually makes things easier, so I'm not complaining

And other times you'll be classified as something stuck under the immigration officer's shoe. I prefer to be a foreigner, really...

Which is another reason to stay away from the K-3.

True. "Foreigner" ... been there, done there ... a lot. I like the term "alien" best, as if you came from another planet. I had exchange student "foreigner" status once. Didn't matter where I came from, label = foreigner ... but, got a lot less hassle by being an American, as opposed to someone from like North Africa.
The only "foreign" country I have ever been to is Canada. I have always wanted to travel abroad, Japan and France have been on my "list" about as long as I have been aware of the world beyond the shores of my home, the United States of America. Australia, New Zealand, and Scotland have also been part of my "dream" for World Travel.

*sigh*

But travel is expensive.

And being American I am hated and despised by just about everyone the world over, because of what my government has done for far too long.

If I do ever travel abroad, I will pretend to be Canadian, as at least they are looked down upon like Americans.

When my wife and I got married, I was "technically" an illegal alien/foreigner in France ... No valid temporary nor longer term visa (expired). The Mayor that married us was cool and "overlooked/didn't ask" about my official status in France ... Later we had troubles when the immigration laws changed upon us, and I had to back to the States for a short period of time, despite the fact that we were married ... (long, complicated story) ... Anyway, got my "papers" fixed and applied for and receive French nationality ... it makes getting a job in France much, much easier. So, it's double nationality for me, but not true double nationality by birth, like my three daughters ... but still feel like a "stranger" here at times. Some things you never quite get your head around ... J
Jean, out of all the members here, I like you the best. Surely I have made many great "forum friends" as there are a lot of really great people who are part of this community.

I dunno, maybe it is because we are fellow countrymen. Maybe it is your friendly nature. Maybe it is because you always have a good word or three to say.

Maybe it is because you like beer and cheese.

But you truly are a great guy.

I'm thinking that being able to go to a different country and become part of it would be much easier when one is younger, before you fully develop your true self. That way, as you grow into adulthood you do so in the society where you have chosen to live and work.

As we get older, we get into routine. We get a job and commit to a career. Start a family. Become part of the fabric of a community.

Put down roots.

Trees do not do well when ripped out of the ground and placed elsewhere.

I think humans have the same problem.

I can understand. A lot of things I do not miss ... exception being so far from family and long-term friends (ie, from grade school days ..) It's weird watching your friends' kids grow and change via facebook. I think that I have settled in long ago ... at what level, oh let's say about 95% now ... still hate French drivers as a general rule. J
95%?

You're almost there.

I bet you even dream in French.

Another reason not to get a K-3 ... it would change none of this situation ... and like I said before, soon it will be labeled the "K-3 Classic" just like SPAM Classic. Can we talk more about SPAM now, or has that one been all hashed out?
From my travels "abroad" to Quebec.

First, some French Canadian Spam for my friend from FranceLahoma:

And some cupcakes:

And candy:

Can't forget the cookies:

Especially the Pirate cookies!

But I would never want to leave the safety of home (both as in personal safety and as in social security).

Apart from that I think I could settle quite well somewhere abroad. (Not taking family bonds into account...)
And there it is right there. The family bonds would be the toughest part of pulling up stakes and settling in a different part of the world. It's not like you can just hop in the car and drive a day or two to go say high once in a while.

And consider what things will be like when man finally figures out living in space. Traveling to other countries is one thing. Traveling to other worlds something quite different, a completely different game. When living somewhere besides Mother Earth does become commonplace, entire lifetimes will be spent living away from here.

And a K3 will not help.

Not at all.
02-19-2014, 06:42 AM   #5925
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
And there it is right there. The family bonds would be the toughest part of pulling up stakes and settling in a different part of the world. It's not like you can just hop in the car and drive a day or two to go say high once in a while.

And consider what things will be like when man finally figures out living in space. Traveling to other countries is one thing. Traveling to other worlds something quite different, a completely different game. When living somewhere besides Mother Earth does become commonplace, entire lifetimes will be spent living away from here.
Space? Wouldn't mind visiting, but living there? Nah. I mean, almost anywhere on earth I can get back home (wherever that is) within a day or so. Apart from the moon it's pretty much a one way ticket. Not for me.

That's just too far out

And if that ain't a reason not to buy a K-3, well...