02-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #5941
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
The only logic way!

If you're Polish
I really miss my HP33C. I always got a kick out of people when they would ask to borrow my calculator. Every time I cheerfully handed it over, then watched quietly out of the corner of my eye as they would key in: 342 [+] 776 then they would sit there, their eyes scanning all around, slowly at first, then more quickly. Some people would then ask, "Hey, um, where's the equals button?".

So I would explain how it worked.

"Ohhhhh . . . . . . . . . So why doesn't it have an equals button? " was the most common response.

Others would bring the thing back and set it beside me, most saying, "Thanks".

When I asked if they got what they needed many were unwilling to admit they couldn't figure it out. Those that did admit so would watch as I showed them how to make calculations, and many then always wanted to use the thing.

342 [enter] 776 [+] 1118

Sometimes I miss the days of civil engineering. Horizontal and vertical curves. Grades and slopes. Figuring drainage pond volumes and sizing outfall restrictors. Working in the field. It was always fun to take friends out and show them a road or stormwater retention pond and tell them I designed it.

I would design a K3 much differently. It would not have hociR anywhere on it, inside or out.

02-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #5942
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
but never from Quebec, thank the lord
Back when I lived in Canada I was told that the Quebecois get no respect in France. Something about sounding like hicks. Apparently there has been some divergence in both vocabulary and pronunciation.

Steve
02-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #5943
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Quebecois get no respect in France. Something about sounding like hicks
I suspect they may have done to the French language what we Americans have done to the English language.
02-19-2014, 10:18 AM   #5944
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have got to chuckle when I read all the comments about Lightroom. The program is all about work flow and I find it pretty intuitive except for outside editor integration. The import process is a bit confusing in the version I use (v3.6), though I trust that it has been improved down the line.

I doubt that I will be upgrading my LR any time soon since the only real reason I can think of to do that would be if I bought a new camera and since I won't be buy a K-3 (curse you Hocir!)...

Steve

Steve

02-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #5945
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Back when I lived in Canada I was told that the Quebecois get no respect in France. Something about sounding like hicks. Apparently there has been some divergence in both vocabulary and pronunciation.

Steve
Perhaps not as much divergence as one might think. In latter years yes, but for centuries Québécois was very close to Normandy French and changed very little. Similarly in the Newfoundland outports, the little coastal communities, the English was little changed from 400 years ago when the were settled.
02-19-2014, 10:21 AM   #5946
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I suspect they may have done to the French language what we Americans have done to the English language.
The "they" in this case being the French? My understanding is that Quebec French is pretty much as the language was spoken in the 1600s. An analogy might be Appalachian English.

Steve

---------- Post added 02-19-14 at 09:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
...for centuries Québécois was very close to Normandy French and changed very little. Similarly in the Newfoundland outports, the little coastal communities, the English was little changed from 400 years ago when the were settled.
That is my understanding as well. When I lived in B.C., Newfies got precious little respect either...something about the way they talk, eh?

Steve
02-19-2014, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #5947
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

My understanding is that Quebec French is pretty much as the language was spoken in the 1600s.
I didn't know that.

Dang, that complicates things. Every time I learn something new i write it down. I've done it for years. I just realized my matchbook cover is full. I'm going to have to start another one.

02-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #5948
Pentaxian

Steve
Yeah, Steve ... lots of little differences. One of my favorites which comes immediately to mind is "hot dog". The French will say "ot daug", like in English (no hard "H" in French, so to speak, and same direct translation concept for "weekend", "computer", "hamburger", etc.) ... but according to some sources, the Quebecois say "chien chaud" ... makes me smirk, because it sounds like a dog in heat rather than a hot dog ... some write that it's an urban myth; whatever. I have no personal knowledge. But it's the accent which is from another planet for us "French", or at least from other continent ... I had to turn the radio "off" the other day during a program featuring Quebec ... it was just too painful to listen to ... (sorry to all you Quebec PF'ers) ... same goes for some African-French accents. The "true" French are pretty intolerant in seeing their language used less than "perfectly" ... thus that makes me a huge sinner. J
02-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #5949
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

Steve
This is interesting, given the disdain that the Quebecois have for the rest of Canada, and anyone speaking English.

When I got stuck over a long weekend at Thetford Mines a few years ago I did fine until I opened my mouth and spoke. Then the smiles turned to scowls.

When I was trying to find a room I stopped at the first place I came to, a mid level motel in town. As soon as I inquired in English the woman at the counter said they had no rooms available. She would not even direct me to another inn.

I went to several places before I found a room.

The Hotel Motel Balmoral.

L?Hôtel Motel Balmoral vous accueille dans la belle région des mines et des lacs

Turned out to be a decent place. Had a restaurant that was really good. And the TV even had 2 channels that broadcast in English. I got my bicycle out and rode all over the place. Had a beer and lunch at a sidewalk cafe in town. Great food. I just pointed at the menu and smiled, and the waitress brought out a killer sandwich, with cheese and roast beef, lettuce and tomato, on fresh baked multi grain bread. And the fries were more like "home fries". Chunks rather than slivers.

Surely a K3 would not have made it any easier for me.
02-19-2014, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #5950
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

possibly the "export" v. "Save As" issue.
I'm a reasonably bright guy in a rational 'Step-by-Step, Process' kind of way*. I have a hard time even getting "Export" to show up. It seems random - don't even know what I did to get it there.

*Maybe that's why I can't capture a creative image no matter what processing I do.
02-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #5951
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have a hard time even getting "Export" to show up.
Just right click on the image. It'll be in the context menu. It's also under "File".
02-19-2014, 11:10 AM   #5952
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Steve
My father-in-law went to McGill. I recall he once said the Quebecois get no respect in Quebec.

---------- Post added 02-19-14 at 01:15 PM ----------

Just right click on the image. It'll be in the context menu. It's also under "File".
Presumably this is true in the Develop workspace. And Stevebrot (or was it you) is correct - the whole catalog thing has me totally confused. I guess I'm Folder tree sort of guy.

As my daughter's undergraduate English students might say, "You are so hierarchical and hegemonic. Good - Better - Best. So old school. Everything is situational now."

Last edited by monochrome; 02-19-2014 at 11:40 AM.
02-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #5953
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

My father-in-law went to McGill. I recall he once said the Quebecois get no respect in Quebec.

---------- Post added 02-19-14 at 01:15 PM ----------

Presumably this is true in the Develop workspace. And Stevebrot (or was it you) is correct - the whole catalog thing has me totally confused. I guess I'm Folder tree sort of guy.

As my daughter's undergraduate English students might say, "You are so hierarchical and hegemonic. Good - Better - Best. So old school. Everything is situational now."

I like the catalogue. And, one day, I'll have tagged all my pictures properly and can find anything in the inventory by searching through the metadata. Search, lion, waterhole, Zambia, et voilà!

Well, in my dreams...

02-19-2014, 11:36 AM   #5954
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Presumably this is true in the Develop workspace.
All workspaces, as well as the thumbnail strip.
02-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #5955
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

I like the catalogue. And, one day, I'll have tagged all my pictures properly and can find anything in the inventory by searching through the metadata. Search, lion, waterhole, Zambia, et voilà!

Well, in my dreams...

Oh, I know - I know I'll need to spend a weekend learning the protocol and LR plus PSE12 combined will let me do everything, and LR is batch run and presets and ... and .... and .... I get it.

I just don't want to spend the time doing it. Sort of a Grandpa Simpson, "I'm old and I don't have to" moment.