Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2014, 11:52 PM   #6331
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Who cares about California?! I am the centre of the universe!!
You arent in California, so NO YOU ARENT!

02-23-2014, 11:57 PM   #6332
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
You arent in California, so NO YOU ARENT!
Waddayamean I'm not?! Everything revolves around me! Well, at least ought to have been! If I had any say in anything...
02-24-2014, 12:00 AM   #6333
Veteran Member

Waddayamean I'm not?! Everything revolves around me! Well, at least ought to have been! If I had any say in anything...
My mom used to tell me when I was a child that the world didnt revolve around me

Never got it until I was a little older!
02-24-2014, 12:19 AM   #6334
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Yeah, that would be for the "why I didn't buy an *ist" thread! ...
Bingo ... now where did I park my DeLorean time machine ... ? J

02-24-2014, 12:30 AM   #6335
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
My mom used to tell me when I was a child that the world didnt revolve around me
Yep, I think that must be a universal line given to mothers. My mum used to quote that all the time!
02-24-2014, 12:32 AM   #6336
Site Supporter

Yep, I think that must be a universal line given to mothers. My mum used to quote that all the time!

That and "because I'm your mother and I said so, that's why!"
02-24-2014, 12:40 AM   #6337
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
That and "because I'm your mother and I said so, that's why!"
Obviously there are some common sayings used by mothers on both sides of the Pacific!
And then I had a big sister whose favourite line was "little boys should be seen and not heard".

02-24-2014, 01:00 AM   #6338
Pentaxian

Obviously there are some common sayings used by mothers on both sides of the Pacific! ...
Add both sides of the Atlantic as well ... except my wife will sound off in French to the three girls. I usually say it in English first, and when they then pretend not to understand and/or listen, I switch to French ... and will yell, at times J
02-24-2014, 01:27 AM   #6339
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Add both sides of the Atlantic as well ... except my wife will sound off in French to the three girls. I usually say it in English first, and when they then pretend not to understand and/or listen, I switch to French ... and will yell, at times J
Ah, so they are truly French, then!
02-24-2014, 01:30 AM   #6340
Pentaxian

Ah, so they are truly French, then!
Yeah, I guess it's kind of "cute" for a while, but then after the third or fourth repetition, I switch to French at high volume decibel levels ... J
02-24-2014, 01:33 AM   #6341
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I guess it's kind of "cute" for a while, but then after the third or fourth repetition, I switch to French at high volume decibel levels ... J
Ah, so you are truly French, then!
02-24-2014, 01:41 AM   #6342
Pentaxian

Ah, so you are truly French, then!
Well, yeah ... like I wrote previously (here, maybe?), maybe 95% level ... not totally assimilated into the Borg French hive.

Another reason not to get a K-3, or its follow-up "K-3some/K3ix" ... I am maybe "assimilation resistant" ... Resistance is futile, but hang on to that one bit of (film) humanity left in you, Picard (who was French, too, go figure ). Make it so ... but, I regress.
02-24-2014, 01:53 AM   #6343
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I usually say it in English first, and when they then pretend not to understand and/or listen
I understand that this is a common trait in the French/French-speaking. (I don't wish to offend anyone, and I not being a world traveller, I don't have first hand experience, but...) My friends who have been OS tell me that it is common to be ignored, or worse, when trying to converse in English with a French-speaking person. It apparently helps a bit in France if you make it clear that you are Australian rather than English!
02-24-2014, 02:10 AM   #6344
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
But the French in Toulouse were very nice, even talking in English.
02-24-2014, 02:12 AM   #6345
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I understand that this is a common trait in the French/French-speaking. (I don't wish to offend anyone, and I not being a world traveller, I don't have first hand experience, but...) My friends who have been OS tell me that it is common to be ignored, or worse, when trying to converse in English with a French-speaking person. It apparently helps a bit in France if you make it clear that you are Australian rather than English!
My only experience with French people in France was a transfer at CDG Paris. Not too impressed, there... But everyone I have met from France abroad have been very nice and as far from their arrogant image as they can get. But then (with a few notable exceptions) that goes for most travellers, I think.

Not sure if it's the travelling that opens the mind, or if it's only the open minded who travel... Myself included, of course!