Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2014, 02:12 AM   #6346
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I understand that this is a common trait in the French/French-speaking. (I don't wish to offend anyone, and I not being a world traveller, I don't have first hand experience, but...) My friends who have been OS tell me that it is common to be ignored, or worse, when trying to converse in English with a French-speaking person. It apparently helps a bit in France if you make it clear that you are Australian rather than English!
With the French, I find that they tend to lump all the Anglo-phone accents into one basket and don't try to tell the difference ... A lot take me for a Brit (which can be good or bad) or for a Scot sometimes; they rarely think about me being an "Amerloque" first (that a rather impolite slang term ...). They like Aussies best/much more IMHO ... a lot less historical conflict there, etc. unlike the Brit's ("les rosbeef "... read "roast beef", because they turn pink in the sunshine plus other that I won't go into). Plus the French respect Aussie rugby, too. Maybe I should change tactics and declare myself as an "Aussie" ... J

02-24-2014, 02:23 AM   #6347
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Maybe I should change tactics and declare myself as an "Aussie
Apparently you would be feted as good as a hero if you tried that at Villers Bretonneux. They love us for what our grandfathers did WW1.
I'm glad that a few others have had good experiences, contrary to reports given to me! Stereo-typing is dreadful really (And I was just guilty of doing it above!!)
02-24-2014, 02:34 AM   #6348
Pentaxian

Apparently you would be feted as good as a hero if you tried that at Villers Bretonneux. They love us for what our grandfathers did WW1.
I'm glad that a few others have had good experiences, contrary to reports given to me! Stereo-typing is dreadful really (And I was just guilty of doing it above!!)
Thanks rod ... I have had many older, elderly people thank me (personally) for the American intervention in WWI & WWII, especially ... I mean they were truly thankful and recognized the sacrifices made to liberate France and the rest of western Europe. I live much further south, so that history is less dominant here than in northern France.

I think that recent political events and the passage of time/generations have change general orientations ... like it was "hard" being an American in France during the "W" administration ... not to bring up politics, just my sentiment during that period and its events ... and the recent NSA thing has not helped out a lot either.

A lot depends on who you encounter ... there's alway good and bad ... J
02-24-2014, 02:43 AM   #6349
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

With the French, I find that they tend to lump all the Anglo-phone accents into one basket and don't try to tell the difference ... A lot take me for a Brit (which can be good or bad) or for a Scot sometimes; they rarely think about me being an "Amerloque" first (that a rather impolite slang term ...). They like Aussies best/much more IMHO ... a lot less historical conflict there, etc. unlike the Brit's ("les rosbeef "... read "roast beef", because they turn pink in the sunshine plus other that I won't go into). Plus the French respect Aussie rugby, too. Maybe I should change tactics and declare myself as an "Aussie" ... J
Rugby might be a key here. South African rugby player André Joubert got a good cheering when he entered the playing field, for South Africa, opposing France, in France. He was quite popular playing in the French series, I believe. Of course, his name is hardly a drawback

---------- Post added 2014-02-24 at 11:04 ----------

Thanks rod ... I have had many older, elderly people thank me (personally) for the American intervention in WWI & WWII, especially ... I mean they were truly thankful and recognized the sacrifices made to liberate France and the rest of western Europe. I live much further south, so that history is less dominant here than in northern France.

I think that recent political events and the passage of time/generations have change general orientations ... like it was "hard" being an American in France during the "W" administration ... not to bring up politics, just my sentiment during that period and its events ... and the recent NSA thing has not helped out a lot either.

A lot depends on who you encounter ... there's alway good and bad ... J
Ups and downs, certainly. And I'm not sure the typical American jabbing at the French helps, either.

02-24-2014, 04:16 AM   #6350
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
OK.

So I redid the shot with a proper camera, and took the picture soon after the pour.
Much better. I will have one thank-you.
02-24-2014, 04:28 AM   #6351
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
So I redid the shot with a proper camera, and took the picture soon after the pour. Much better. I will have one thank-you

Back to food/beer again?
Are the inhabitants of this blog calorie obsessed?
There are more things to life than food and beer (In fact, I know for certain that those who drink beer and eat food die!)
There are also landscapes and portraits and still lifes and macros and abstracts and ...
Just give in, buy the blasted Hocir K3 and make a few images. Make lots of images. Make 200,000 images before the shutter expires.
02-24-2014, 04:34 AM   #6352
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
... Ups and downs, certainly. And I'm not sure the typical American jabbing at the French helps, either.
Remember "Freedom Fries" ... loved that one ... yeah, let's get back to food stuff, cheeses, beers and especially SPAM !!! J

02-24-2014, 04:37 AM   #6353
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Back to food/beer again?
Are the inhabitants of this blog calorie obsessed?
There are more things to life than food and beer (In fact, I know for certain that those who drink beer and eat food die!)
There are also landscapes and portraits and still lifes and macros and abstracts and ...
Just give in, buy the blasted Hocir K3 and make a few images. Make lots of images. Make 200,000 images before the shutter expires.
Are you trying to kill us all?!! I know for certain that all and everyone who buy a K-3 will die!

Just as those who don't drink beer will.

Those who do drink beer will at least have a good time.
02-24-2014, 04:39 AM   #6354
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

let's get back to food stuff, cheeses, beers and especially SPAM
NO NO NO Jean, no more food.
Take Photos!! Talk about photos!
(It might tip the moderator over the edge; what fun.)

btw
Where is our moderator? Has he gone to a parallax universe?
02-24-2014, 04:45 AM   #6355
Pentaxian

btw
He's gone to a Parallix universe located near Nice in France ... and now for some re-cycled fun ... which one is crap?! J

(Gratuitous provocation post for "Post-a-thon Sprint Monday" ... you wanted a photo, n'est-ce pas ?!)

02-24-2014, 04:46 AM   #6356
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Let's try and stay on topic, please!

btw
You mean Pa Relax? I'm beginning to suspect he sleeps. Several hours a day. "Moderator" indeed...

---------- Post added 2014-02-24 at 12:48 ----------

He's gone to a Parallix universe located near Nice in France ... and now for some re-cycled fun ... which one is crap?! J

(Gratuitous provocation post for "Post-a-thon Sprint Monday" ... you wanted a photo, n'est-ce pas ?!)
Ah, yes, I think getting into top 12 will be hard today

Good thing I already have a 50/1.8
02-24-2014, 06:03 AM   #6357
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Who cares about California?! I am the centre of the universe!!
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
You arent in California, so NO YOU ARENT!
I grew up there and assure you that j2 is right. Californians are quite certain the world revolves around them. LOL

Last edited by Parallax; 02-24-2014 at 06:09 AM.
02-24-2014, 06:08 AM   #6358
Site Supporter

Let's try and stay on topic, please!

You mean Pa Relax? I'm beginning to suspect he sleeps. Several hours a day. "Moderator" indeed...

---------- Post added 2014-02-24 at 12:48 ----------

Ah, yes, I think getting into top 12 will be hard today

Good thing I already have a 50/1.8
Yeah. It's gonna be a pain in the butt to get my daily ticket today.
02-24-2014, 06:40 AM   #6359
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Am I the only person that cant stand friend okra?
No, you're in good company.
02-24-2014, 06:43 AM   #6360
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
No, you're in good company.
No, you are in EXCELLENT company ... my Mom's mom made the best in the world when I was a kid ...