Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #6586
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
but to actually have a mining rig that might be able to find enough bitcoins to profit you, you would spend 20K+
One of our former members, prone to numerous outrageous claims, assured us that he had mined hundreds of them with his laptop.

02-25-2014, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #6587
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
I'm going to have Another One Bites the Dust and Knocking on Heavens Door at my funeral!
Good on you. I've been getting sick of orchids and "I Did it My Way." Comes with my age, I know. Old friends croak, new friends croak. Photography helps my grieving and my mind, keeps me sharp, keeps me alive after friends pass, keeps me sensitive to the world around me, keeps me aware of color, light, and beauty.

That is why nobody can get my camera without pulling it out of my cold dead hands.
02-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #6588
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
They build these mining computers, that "mine" bitcoins, with every new coin found it gets harder to find the next one, requiring more powerful equipment. Each bitcoin is worth 700-800 dollars right now but to actually have a mining rig that might be able to find enough bitcoins to profit you, you would spend 20K+
Actually think they forgot two letters on Bit_ _ coin, because you become their female dog when you sign up and place your cash there!

---------- Post added 02-25-14 at 04:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
One of our former members, prone to numerous outrageous claims, assured us that he had mined hundreds of them with his laptop.
People actually leave this fine forum?!
02-25-2014, 03:31 PM   #6589
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

People actually leave this fine forum?!
Yes, but in his case it wasn't voluntarily.

02-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #6590
Veteran Member

See? There's an example right there. Some people might find the term "loonie bin" insensitive when referring to a funny farm.
that actually was the name on the billboard out front.
02-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #6591
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
what if there are no faults? Then I am banished?
There are plenty of faults. For example, people who do interval photography have found one where the shutter will go into runaway mode. There are also a few folk who have been unable to get an in-focus AF image regardless of subject or settings. I also read that aftermarket focus screens will kill the advanced focus tracking in AF-C mode. That last is a deal-breaker for me.

Steve

---------- Post added 02-25-14 at 02:53 PM ----------

I have a friend who started mining back in the early days of bitcoin, but quit the process early due to hardware limitations. He confessed to me several months ago that he has frequent regrets that he did not keep at it...something about paying off mortgages, putting kids through college, and retiring to someplace off-shore.

Steve
02-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #6592
Veteran Member

Since everyone loved the shot of me in my youth, here is one of me after I had kids:

Any question?

02-25-2014, 04:37 PM   #6593
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
I use Asus MBs and the one I built in Jan 13 did not. It also only had one IDE port. It did have 6-8 SATA ports.

I sorta suspect IDE will be the next to go.
Yeah, I haven't seen a floppy connector on a MB in years. I'm generally seeing one or zero IDE/PATA connectors, multiple SATAs, and multiple onboard USBs - which can be used for a (somewhat slow) USB-IDE converter, good enough for an optical drive. We've got servers at work that boot Linux / VMWare directly from a USB stick plugged into the MB.
02-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #6594
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have a friend who started mining back in the early days of bitcoin, but quit the process early due to hardware limitations. He confessed to me several months ago that he has frequent regrets that he did not keep at it...something about paying off mortgages, putting kids through college, and retiring to someplace off-shore.

Steve
I wish I had found out about it sooner, by the time I was ready to drop a good amount of money in it, it would not have ended up making me anything.
02-25-2014, 04:50 PM   #6595
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Yeah, I haven't seen a floppy connector on a MB in years. I'm generally seeing one or zero IDE/PATA connectors, multiple SATAs, and multiple onboard USBs - which can be used for a (somewhat slow) USB-IDE converter, good enough for an optical drive. We've got servers at work that boot Linux / VMWare directly from a USB stick plugged into the MB.
You can use an IDE card for backward compatibility, but buy a good one or all crap breaks loose!
02-25-2014, 05:09 PM   #6596
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Howz that K511s treating you, by the way?
Great so far! Thanks for asking.

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
I use Asus MBs and the one I built in Jan 13 did not. It also only had one IDE port. It did have 6-8 SATA ports.

I sorta suspect IDE will be the next to go.
The next "big thing".
02-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #6597
Veteran Member

Ok people I'm 8th right now! This cannot stand! Get out there and fight!!! I want to see posts and likes!!!
02-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #6598
Site Supporter

Ok people I'm 8th right now! This cannot stand! Get out there and fight!!! I want to see posts and likes!!!
I don't know what's wrong with me today. Just can't find the talkative spirit.
02-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #6599
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought you seemed a bit quiet today.
02-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #6600
Site Supporter

I thought you seemed a bit quiet today.
When we get home from Boy Scouts, I might share some more pictures that my daughter took on our last Disney trip. It was her first trip using an SLR.