Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108815 Likes Search this Thread
03-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #6991
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
What if the spoon dissolves before it hits the rim? Too strong?
Just a bit.

03-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #6992
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Caffeine withdrawal is most unpleasant.
Ughhh. That throbbing between the temples.
03-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #6993
Site Supporter

Well, my co-workers have unanimously voted that I should give up cussing instead of caffeine. (I think they have PTSD from my last effort to quit caffeine!)
03-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #6994
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

03-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #6995
Site Supporter

It wasn't pretty. I'm not one of those who can cold turkey it. I'm addicted. I don't recall much from my last attempt to quit caffeine, but apparently somebody made me a pot of coffee after a few hours!
03-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #6996
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Caffeine and nicotine (2 of the 5 basic food groups for shift workers; sugar, salt, caffeine, nicotine, and chocolate) addictions are extremely strong physiologic addictions; even stronger than opioid addictions. Nicotine addiction, particularly in the form of cigarettes, carries a very strong psychological component to the addiction as well. I quit smoking 25 years ago, after TNTC failed attempts. The difference was that when I actually quit I was successful because I wanted to quit, not just because I knew I should.
Fortunately, the latest studies on caffeine show that if you drink coffee in moderation there is no need to give it up and there are even some health benefits. (DISCLAIMER: I firmly believe that the conclusion drawn by every published medical study is exactly the one that the person conducting the study wanted to draw from the outset.)
03-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #6997
Pentaxian

Pretty much gave up drinking, except for the occasional bottle of brown colored ale.

Gave up nicotine though it took several failed attempts.

But I don't think that giving up caffeine or chocolate is something I will ever attempt. Makes no sense as I know it would be a total failure in the 1st place.

03-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #6998
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Caffeine withdrawal is most unpleasant.
It makes people not want to be around me.
03-01-2014, 12:38 PM   #6999
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
It makes people not want to be around me.
Most people dont want to be around me anyway
03-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #7000
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Most people dont want to be around me anyway
I don't think that's got anything to do with your caffeine level...
03-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #7001
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I don't think that's got anything to do with your caffeine level...
It has more to do with my "arsehole" level.
03-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #7002
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If you are of German, Austrian or Swiss descent (or took German in High School) you might know of Faschingsfest.
Very interesting.
1. Is there a connection between the faschingsfest celebrations and the mummers in Philadelphia. I saw one of their bands doing a special performance last year. Had a near failure of STak 28/3.5 during that - 2 screws inside came out of sockets and the front section seemed in danger of falling off. Got it repairs a couple of months back. Not hard once I had the time to settle to the job.
2. I do not have a German background, so I learned about Calvin through the filter of the Scottish Presbyterians. The link you gave does seem to show the history of faschingsfest is through Catholic roots, which seems consistent with the observation of Mardi Gras and Lenten fasting being more emphasised in places with Catholic predominance. (I am not making any absolute statement there, just one of my observation of emphasis.)
03-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #7003
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Caffeine and nicotine (2 of the 5 basic food groups for shift workers; sugar, salt, caffeine, nicotine, and chocolate) addictions are extremely strong physiologic addictions; even stronger than opioid addictions. Nicotine addiction, particularly in the form of cigarettes, carries a very strong psychological component to the addiction as well. I quit smoking 25 years ago, after TNTC failed attempts. The difference was that when I actually quit I was successful because I wanted to quit, not just because I knew I should.
Fortunately, the latest studies on caffeine show that if you drink coffee in moderation there is no need to give it up and there are even some health benefits. (DISCLAIMER: I firmly believe that the conclusion drawn by every published medical study is exactly the one that the person conducting the study wanted to draw from the outset.)
Bacon and cheese are two more Food Groups! And Igunaq, lefse and lutefisk make eleven. Hush Puppies can be considered a subsidiary subgroup of Kumla and pancakes.

---------- Post added 03-01-14 at 03:12 PM ----------

UPS is delivering my new K3 on Monday. Signature required, so I will camp out and pretend to be chipping ice off the front steps at -20F. Cannot let Mrs. waterfall 2.0 see the delivery.
03-01-2014, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #7004
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Bacon and cheese are two more Food Groups! And Igunaq, lefse and lutefisk make eleven. Hush Puppies can be considered a subsidiary subgroup of Kumla and pancakes.

---------- Post added 03-01-14 at 03:12 PM ----------

UPS is delivering my new K3 on Monday. Signature required, so I will camp out and pretend to be chipping ice off the front steps at -20F. Cannot let Mrs. waterfall 2.0 see the delivery.
Coming out of the closet are we. So another-one bites the hociR.
03-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #7005
Veteran Member

It is like the plague, it will get everyone eventually