Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #7081
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
... got my camera batteries charged and a clean SD card.
That's it, take care of the important stuff first!

I worked at an electric utility for 30 years. I learned early on that I never let on to friends and neighbors where I worked, because when people knew that I worked at the place that delivered power to their home the first person that they came to was me.

Like I had some kind of special influence or something.

So I made up a line when people asked where I worked, like Maxwell Smart. Greeting card salesman.

03-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #7082
Pentaxian

A bit of rain every now and again but no more than normal for spring. So far it has been a very mild winter here in Northern Nevada. Of course things can change quickly in the mountains so it could change in quick order.

---------- Post added 03-02-2014 at 08:29 PM ----------

Of course the downside to a mild winter for us is not enough snow in the mountains to keep the water flowing. That makes for very dry brush and lots of wildfires in the late summer. Good and bad to everything.
03-02-2014, 11:55 PM   #7083
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know how you handle such cold temps!
Autumn (Fall) has just kicked in here and day time temps are forecast to be 28C (82.4F) to 32C (89.6F) for the next seven days.
Night time temps are forecast between 12C (53.6F) and 14C (57.2F)
That's pretty good for me. I'm not too keen when it gets into the low 40Cs in summer. The coldest we get here is -4 or -5C, but that is for only a day or two each year.
03-03-2014, 04:19 AM   #7084
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Do Jays (Blue Black or Brindle) like bacon? beer? okra?
A Jay wrapped in bacon with a side of okra (fried, please) plus a beer ... that doesn't sound too bad. Sign me up, J (wonder if they taste like quail?)

03-03-2014, 07:03 AM   #7085
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
A Jay wrapped in bacon with a side of okra (fried, please) plus a beer ... that doesn't sound too bad. Sign me up, J (wonder if they taste like quail?)
You forgot the frog leg butter sauce! You are in France after all! The fine food capital of the world!

---------- Post added 03-03-14 at 08:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I don't know how you handle such cold temps!
Gripe, moan, complain, shake your fist at the sky and post hate filled rants on a K-3 thread towards nature!!
03-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #7086
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well the advice given this morning by our Weather Dudes is . . . . . Hibernate. They've even canceled Church Services, which I cannot recall EVER happening before. I'm sure my spouse can find some low-priority thing indoors for me to do.

Predicting 8" combination of sleet, freezing rain and then snow before Rush Hour tomorrow. Looks like I'll be working from the laptop again.
Posted that yesterday on another thread. All time Record - over 1000 schools, businesses and other places closed today including most government offices.

I'm calling conspiracy of Weather Dudes to lock people onto thier televisions 24/7 waiting for the latest updates. Sure, it's cold. So cold gasoline blew right through the Subbie cylinders and came out the tailpipe this morning (ExFinn, I always wondered what that was all about) before I got ignition.

We got an inch and a half.
03-03-2014, 08:21 AM   #7087
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OMG, I just bought a K-3.
The weather made me do it.

03-03-2014, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #7088
Site Supporter

WTH? OK, I think we need to take a census & evict the interlopers.
03-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #7089
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We got an inch and a half.
Weather Dude in league with the grocery stores to gin up sales!! Prediction of Snowmageddon and the stores are stripped by howling hordes of suburbanites!! Cash under the table from grateful store and Dude gets to vacation at St Kits!!

---------- Post added 03-03-14 at 09:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
WTH? OK, I think we need to take a census & evict the interlopers.
If it wasn't for the interlopers, this would be a "GET OFF MY LAWN!" thread, and would have died a miserable death months ago! I believe everyone proclaiming hate for hocir is secretly trying to get a K-3!
03-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #7090
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Weather Dude in league with the grocery stores to gin up sales!! Prediction of Snowmageddon and the stores are stripped by howling hordes of suburbanites!! Cash under the table from grateful store and Dude gets to vacation at St Kits!!
SnowPocalypse turned into WAY SnowVerdone. Here's my wife's QHouse Photo from yesterday afternoon.
Attached Images

03-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #7091
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Considering cheese is not a natural occurrence without human assistance.. I wonder what birds think about the stuff...

And how you decided it was a smart idea to try to feed birds cheese.
After a walk with the park naturalist, he showed about a bazillion people how to attract Jays and Chickadees by pishing (look it up) with bread crumbs in his hand. SO a week later I'm standing in the middle of the parking lot at one of the birding sites, pishing away with my toast chopped into cute little cubes hoping to get some Jay pictures. Well another birder turns up with a handful of chopped cheese opens up his hand and about 5 jays come flying in out of nowhere, no pishing, no nothing, just instant birds. I also take them chopped toast, nuts and dried fruits... I have a healthy bird diet for them. But the cheese always goes first. I'm guessing the reasons for that are, pretty good fat content, they really need that in the winter, and lots of salt , which is really hard for wild animals to obtain. They eat the other stuff too, but only after all the cheese is gone. Once they discover you're a cheese person, they'll eat the birdie health food you bring too. As for those commercial bird feeds with all that corn and stuff, they leave that stuff on the ground. Sure the birds will eat that food... if they are starving, and there is nothing else.
03-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #7092
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Here we go again ...

red alert !
Red Alert !!
RED ALERT !!!
03-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #7093
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Oh no... With the weather we have here it's just a matter of time before it happens to me too

Would I be safer if I bought a 31 ltd?
03-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #7094
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Oh no... With the weather we have here it's just a matter of time before it happens to me too

Would I be safer if I bought a 31 ltd?
Oh yeah, that'll work.
03-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #7095
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But the cheese always goes first. I'm guessing the reasons for that are, pretty good fat content, they really need that in the winter, and lots of salt
They go after suet don't they? So cheese is a good alternative to that. You have inspired! I am going to toss old cheese out for the birds from now on!
We always dump bacon grease and veg oil out in the winter, they have a field day with that! Put it on the snow and watch the fun! Birds love fat!

---------- Post added 03-03-14 at 10:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
RED ALERT !!!
Shields up! Charge Phasers! Load Photon Torpedoes!
Attack vector Picard delta 1!!