Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #7111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you want REAL history, seek out Horrible History - I don't know how old it is but it is a great series on the history that the hippie wouldn't have taught you!

03-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #7112
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
If you want REAL history, seek out Horrible History - I don't know how old it is but it is a great series on the history that the hippie wouldn't have taught you!
Cool! I'll check it out!!
03-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #7113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
At the time of the photo we were still under the impression Round 2 of Snowpocalypse was still on the way. I tried to subsitute water softener salt for NaUnobtaniumCl. Neat little pellets but they make a little 1" circle in the ice - then the temperature dropped to -4 and I'm just not going out there.
-4 F, that is getting to the frostbite territory. Hat and mittens time
K3 might start to slow down, skip that purchase.
03-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #7114
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
They taught history in school?

Steve
My favorite subject.

The only subject I got straight A's in.

03-03-2014, 05:04 PM   #7115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The only subject I got straight A's in.
The only class I got straight A's in was band!!
03-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #7116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
We had no band, just wood-working and metal shop, both my favorites and the only ones with straight A`s.
03-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #7117
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Well who wouldn't wearing that Zoot Suit y'all had.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
We had no band, just wood-working and metal shop, both my favorites and the only ones with straight A`s.
I guess I forgot about those. I got A's there too, but then I never thought of shop classes as school either.

03-03-2014, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #7118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well who wouldn't wearing that Zoot Suit y'all had.

I guess I forgot about those. I got A's there too, but then I never thought of shop classes as school either.
It was school and it was so easy, a hobby, to be honest
03-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #7119
Veteran Member

Well who wouldn't wearing that Zoot Suit y'all had
Wrong century. It's a riverboat gambler get up. A hold over from when the corp did all Mississippi riverboat shows in the 70's. Moved onto big band at the point the photo was taken, so yeah probably should have had the Zoot suit uniform. Would have fit the mood better. Is a pretty orange color though!
03-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #7120
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Wrong century.
Wrong decade maybe.

Certainly wasted enough material to keep a K3 off the shopping list.

QuoteQuote:
The amount of material and tailoring required made them luxury items, so much so that the U.S. War Production Board said that they wasted materials that should be devoted to the World War II war effort.
03-04-2014, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #7121
Veteran Member

WWII also led to the demise of the beanie as required head wear for college freshmen. It died in 1946 when all the GI bill students started enrolling. How do you get someone who survived the Battle of the Bulge to wear a beanie? You don't!! That tradition died fast and hard!!

PS- If you haven't known a WWII vet, you have missed out! Not long now they will all be gone, and we will not see a generation like that again!
03-04-2014, 05:30 AM - 2 Likes   #7122
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

WWII also led to the demise of the beanie as required head wear for college freshmen. It died in 1946 when all the GI bill students started enrolling. How do you get someone who survived the Battle of the Bulge to wear a beanie? You don't!! That tradition died fast and hard!!

PS- If you haven't known a WWII vet, you have missed out! Not long now they will all be gone, and we will not see a generation like that again!
Volunteer to be a Guardian on an Honor Flight.
03-04-2014, 05:58 AM   #7123
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I have known and worked along side many WWII veterans over the years. Korean and Vietnam era veterans too.

One WWII vet I worked with had been a truck driver in France. A mortar went through the cab of the truck he was driving, passing through both of his wrists. Each wrist had very little muscle tissue left, about 4" or so on each one.

Looked weird.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Volunteer to be a Guardian on an Honor Flight.
Great link. We should always do what we can to show our veterans that their sacrifice was not in vain.
03-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #7124
Pentaxian

Here, everyone says the original diggers were the one - WWI vets. I remember a few. They were the contemporaries of my grandparents. They were very different after battles that wiped out whole divisions in the first couple of hours. I grew up in a suburb just up the hill from a housing estate for them built on an old army base. All that was left when I was young of that base was a hospital which is now a public hospital. My father grew up just on the other side, and he says by 1939 most of them were dead, mostly because many of them returned with half or only one lung as a result of gas.

No wonder WWI changed the world more than WWII.
03-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #7125
Site Supporter

I don't think WWI threatened the US as much as WWII did.