Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2014, 04:01 PM   #7396
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I will say, however, the heaviest rainfall I haver ever seen in my life I encountered driving through Wells, Nevada many years ago.

03-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #7397
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Recently i purchased a CZ 512 in 22 WMR. Good shooter too. Works even without any optics attached! Shooting well with either firearms or cameras, requires the same skill set. I find both kinds very relaxing as to do it well you have to put aside the day's worries for awhile. Relax. Concentrate on the target. Control breathing and body movement. Become one with your tools. Wait for the optimum moment. Actuate the trigger. And no, I won't shoot a K3 with it,

Got chided for being on topic with last post so I hope this get me in good graces again.
03-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #7398
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But out here things typically dry out very quickly and within a very short time there is not much to show for it. Of course sometimes our playas can stay pretty soggy until late, late summer. In Iowa you will come back 3 feet taller just from a short walk in the field after rains like that. Of course that is true about your neck of the woods as well.
03-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #7399
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

There is no weather event, with the exception of hurricanes and tsunamis, that we are not subjected to; sometimes multiple events in combination, but the other 3 days of the year are gorgeous.

03-10-2014, 04:43 PM   #7400
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
And a touch odorific if I remember anything from my childhood.
Ahh, the delicate perfume of silage and pig droppings...

Steve
03-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #7401
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't find the "aroma" of cow manure offensive unless it's particularly strong. Pig manure is a different story but there is one thing worse than that. I was once a musroom grower. One of the components of the compost was chicken manure. NOTHING, I mean NOTHING smells worse than a dump truck load of fresh chiken manure.
03-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #7402
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I don't find the "aroma" of cow manure offensive unless it's particularly strong. Pig manure is a different story but there is one thing worse than that. I was once a musroom grower. One of the components of the compost was chicken manure. NOTHING, I mean NOTHING smells worse than a dump truck load of fresh chiken manure.
Never had the "pleasure" of grabbing a whiff of a dump truck load of chicken manure but I have shoveled enough on a smaller scale to believe you.

03-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #7403
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

You have no idea what you've mised out on
03-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #7404
Pentaxian

I have had the honor of pulling the honey wagon a few times. It was chores of that type that pushed me to mining as soon as I could get off the farm. Digging holes in the ground also paid a bit better than spreading manure so that certainly didn't hurt.
03-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #7405
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Pioneer, I used to live in Reno, though that was a long time ago. I have been through Elko more times than I can count, traveling between South Dakota and California. The desert in general, Nevada in particular is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. I would love to retire anywhere in Nevada. (preferably Northern, but I'll settle for whatever I can talk the War Department, AKA wife, into.)
03-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #7406
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the War Department, AKA wife,
Have not heard that description before. I will ping it off the chief of finances...see what comes up.
This could easily sink a hociR and K3.
03-10-2014, 06:29 PM   #7407
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Never pulled a honey wagon but I can attest that it cannot possibly be worse than a pit toilet in a Missouri State Park the last week of August at 100 degrees.
03-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #7408
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Never pulled a honey wagon but I can attest that it cannot possibly be worse than a pit toilet in a Missouri State Park the last week of August at 100 degrees.
On the plus side: Last year we spent our vacation in MO. A few days in Carthage, then some exploring/camping. Lake of the Ozarks, and then along Hwy 65. I was impressed that the State Parks were free, with nominal camping fees.
03-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #7409
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I am not sure which is worse. Maybe we should send these off to Mike Rowe so he can go do an evaluation? Lets see:
1. Driving a dump truck of chicken manure
2. Pulling a Honey Wagon in August in Northern Minnesota
3. Cleaning a Pit Toilet in a Missouri State Park in August.

Any other suggestions?

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 06:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Recently i purchased a CZ 512 in 22 WMR. Good shooter too. Works even without any optics attached! Shooting well with either firearms or cameras, requires the same skill set. I find both kinds very relaxing as to do it well you have to put aside the day's worries for awhile. Relax. Concentrate on the target. Control breathing and body movement. Become one with your tools. Wait for the optimum moment. Actuate the trigger. And no, I won't shoot a K3 with it,

Got chided for being on topic with last post so I hope this get me in good graces again.
This is probably the only thread in existence across the entire internet where knowing the topic is actually a disadvantage.
03-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #7410
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On the plus side: Last year we spent our vacation in MO. A few days in Carthage, then some exploring/camping. Lake of the Ozarks, and then along Hwy 65. I was impressed that the State Parks were free, with nominal camping fees.
Yep!! We pay 1/8 c sales tax for the Conservation Department that covers all kinds of neat hunting and fishing and species reintroduction and land/resource conservation stuff. Then the State has enough funds to do the State Parks from general revenue without having to support all the conservation stuff. Pretty cool place if you like the outdoors.

I live in the middle of late 50's suburbia (not 80's or 90's, thankfully) but I'm never more than 30 minutes from some kind of low-pressure outdoor activity. I do a lot of Venturing (Co-Ed Boy Scouts) volunteering (we just ignore the big issue and let everybody). I'm literally 10 minutes from a 2500 acre Reservation and 90 minutes from a 10,000 acre Ranch.

It isn't The West, by any means, but it isn't bad. My wife and I get out to SW Colorado or NE NM or SW Wyoming every other summer.