Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2014, 07:14 PM   #7456
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Korean Kim chee may be the stinkiest and foulest alleged food ever foisted on an unsuspecting group of Pentax owners longing for spring. Think of sauerkraut. Now think of sauerkraut made from rotten fish. Although no westerner has ever learned how to make that stuff. Ate it in Hawaii years ago and still cannot get the taste or smell memory out of my head. I guess it is an acquired taste, like a K3.
Wow, that sounds a lot like Vegamite!!

03-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #7457
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
(FINN`s don`t blink)
That's something I learned to do late in life ;~)
03-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #7458
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Korean Kim chee may be the stinkiest and foulest alleged food ever foisted on an unsuspecting group of Pentax owners longing for spring. Think of sauerkraut. Now think of sauerkraut made from rotten fish. Although no westerner has ever learned how to make that stuff. Ate it in Hawaii years ago and still cannot get the taste or smell memory out of my head. I guess it is an acquired taste, like a K3.
Do not say bad things about "vegetables". Tastes great. Have you tried the Korean dish Sundae. I did in a food court in LA. Comes on a large plate in a big pile. It is a blood sausage.

There is another dish that tastes good, a Taiwanese one - smelly tofu. Most often served deep fried with pickled cabbage. But it is also served cooked other ways such as steamed. There is even a Taiwanese fast food chain that only serves smelly tofu. Smells, to put it politely, like a whole cheese shop, less politely, like that delivered FROM the mouth when unwell with abdominal pains. I always eat it when I go there.
03-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #7459
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The smell can be pretty intense, but I rather enjoy kim chee.

Back on topic, I read just today that certain Sony and Fuji mirrorless cameras are prone to light leaks. This sort of issue has never been reported on the K-3 or any other Pentax dSLR to the best of my knowledge. This is yet another indication that Pentax is behind the curve in regards to market and tech. If the K-3 were any good and hociR was doing its job, the K-3 would also leak light. As it is, we Pentax users are once again saddled with a 2nd tier choice.

That is why I will not buy a K-3...Pentax is DOOMED!

Steve

(Even my FED-2 has light leaks...)

03-12-2014, 01:54 AM   #7460
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't had a light leak since Box Brownie days.
Praktika, Konica, MZ50, *istDS, K5 all rubbish!
60% of those are Pentax! I might try a Hocir and see if I can get a good one.
03-12-2014, 03:41 AM   #7461
Veteran Member

I Love Kimchi!! We can get it anytime we want, all the Asian markets sell it here.Like I said before, in food variety Des Moines is unsurpassed!
03-12-2014, 03:53 AM   #7462

Busy planning an alien invasion.

03-12-2014, 06:15 AM   #7463
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had an ME Super with a light leak, so Pentax must have had the technology, then discarded it - yet another example of how fatally out of touch they are.

(It was around the hinge on the back, which meant it only showed up when I held the camera just so in my right hand and in certain lighting conditions - really random and hard to track down!)
03-12-2014, 07:34 AM   #7464
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
OK.
The worse thing I ever ate...Balut.
Neighbor, married to a Filipino, walks up the drive-way. He is carrying couple egg`s and offers one to try out.
Tells me it is a delicacy and I will love it. He (a retired navy SEAL, with a twinkle in his eye) hands me this egg with a half developed chicken inside.
No choice...(FINN`s don`t blink) the chick goes down the hatch with hot and steamy, smelly feathers, the small eyeballs popping and the tiny feet and the little peak crunching with every bite.
Would have been better with some salt.

edit: reminiscing this interesting culinary experience just made me forget about the hociR.
I think the Chinese call this the Hundred Year Old Egg.

Sometimes I wonder what ever possesses people to concoct the crap they will eat. I can safely say I will not ever eat the half incubated then buried and allowed to rot chicken egg.

Delicacy or not.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Worst thing I ever ate...

Not sure I want to remember.

However, I did raise three daughters and each and everyone of them HAD to learn how to cook. You just learn to close your eyes, open your hatch and say..."you're getting better dear"...as whatever that was went down. And if you're lucky you don't break any teeth in the process.

But...what doesn't kill ya will make you stronger...right?

But I would still stay away from my older daughter's prime rib if you value your stomach at all. Just a bit of friendly advice.

And the younger one has been exploring French cuisine...but I'm not too sure she really understands the words yet...

But if any of them tries to serve me roast hociR...well let's just say I won't be having any of that.
My grandpa told me once, "When you get married, you eat anything and everything your bride puts on the table. No matter what it is, or how bad it may be. She will eventually figure out how to cook and do it well. This is the only way to keep peace in your home. Complain about her cooking and there will never be peace in your home or your marriage."

My great grandma used to fix fried chicken feet for my great grandpa (they were German, on my mom's side). He would never complain about it, but once he did ask her, "Minnie, for vat do you fix dem damn tings for? Dey scratch in the ch*t mit dem!" Apparently she thought he liked them.

For me, Wife 1.0 was a lousy cook, but she fancied herself and a culinary expert. One particular dish she concocted was a stew. Every kind of root vegetable imaginable was in it. Rutabaga. Parsnip. Turnip. Potato (several different kinds). Carrot. Burdock. Radish. Beet. Daikon. Jicama. Onion (also many different kinds). Garlic. No meat, just vegetables and broth. It wasn't too bad, and remembering my grandpa's advice I ate it.

Talk about cleaning out the colon. I called it Super Colon Blow when relating to friends the effects it had on my gastric system.

Domestic Partner 1.0 (Mrs. Racer) is quite the opposite. She can cook. And rarely uses a recipe. She will open the fridge, freezer and pantry, look at what is there, then methodically pull stuff out and start cooking. And she is quick too. She can walk into the kitchen, spend a few minutes sizing up the options, and in less than 20 minutes the aroma of something wonderful fills the house. In 17 years she has never put anything on the table that has failed to delight my taste buds.

She is a natural.

I think I'm gonna keep her.

But I will not buy a K3.
03-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #7465
Site Supporter

I feel almost hung over, but I have not had any alcohol for weeks. That is why I will not buy a hociR manchine.
03-12-2014, 07:40 AM   #7466
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
but I have not had any alcohol for weeks.
Well, THERE'S your problem!
03-12-2014, 08:17 AM   #7467
Site Supporter

Maybe I should rectify that this weekend.
03-12-2014, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #7468
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll drink to that!
03-12-2014, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #7469
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Domestic Partner 1.0 (Mrs. Racer) is quite the opposite. She can cook. And rarely uses a recipe. She will open the fridge, freezer and pantry, look at what is there, then methodically pull stuff out and start cooking. And she is quick too. She can walk into the kitchen, spend a few minutes sizing up the options, and in less than 20 minutes the aroma of something wonderful fills the house. In 17 years she has never put anything on the table that has failed to delight my taste buds.

She is a natural.

I think I'm gonna keep her.

But I will not buy a K3.
My wife (first and forever, the original) is the same. She can make wonderful things in the kitchen. I am relatively competent but do not even approach her expertise.

But she is not a teacher. Her methods of cooking don't include references like "tablespoons", "cups" or "ounces". Instead it is "handful of this", "pinch of that", "sprinkle it until it tastes like this."

But, like you, I am certainly going to keep her. After 40 years she kinda of grows on ya.
03-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #7470
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I think the Chinese call this the Hundred Year Old Egg.
Nah...baluts are different and much worse.

How about another smelly food...durian anyone?*

Steve

* illegal to eat on public transportation in many parts of Asia