Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #7696
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I have started many of them.
The ones that made me cringe a bit, even though I was on the dull end of them, were the 16ga 3" needles on the pre filled syringes of APPG we used to treat GC. One 2.4 million unit dose in each cheek.
The fun part was that they had to be kept refrigerated until use, then warmed prior to injection. We used to make the patient hold them, one in each hand, for 20 minutes to warm them. That gave them plenty of time to reevaluate their dating strategy while staring at the needles.
Just thinking about the 3" 16 gage needle would keep me on a solitary dating strategy.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
And there is always the matter of pesky bicyclists!
Usually the mirror is high enough to clear them.

It is the load projection that gets them.

And would you believe that there are idiots in cars who will drive under a load that is projecting 4 feet from the side of a trailer?

True story.

I had a set of cowlings on, and was on I-270 near Denver. The road has no shoulders in places and is only 2 lanes wide, so I straddled both lanes to prevent (or so i thought) the risk of a self absorbed dipstick in a car with a Smrat Phon at the end of their spindly little arms from attempting to turn their car into a convertible.

Several of these numbskulls actually attempted to pass me on the right shoulder, while part of their car was under the load.

Some people should not be allowed out of the house each day.

Let alone have a K3.

03-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #7697
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
It is the load projection that gets them.
I suppose you have some opinions about the Skagit River bridge failure last year as well?

Steve
03-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #7698
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Let alone have a K3.
03-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #7699
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I suppose you have some opinions about the Skagit River bridge failure last year as well?

Steve
Yes I do.

People I know who witnessed it said that the guy moving the OD load was crowded by a can hauler (the vermin that work the container ports). He wasn't able to slow enough for the can hauler to pass and then get over to the center of the road. He also was not able to slow enough to stop.

The driver needed to centerline the bridge to have adequate clearance.

Crossing bridges while straddling the zipper is a common thing to be specified in the permit conditions, usually with heavy loads, but also with very large loads like that one.

Ultimately the driver under the load bears all responsibility for it, and any accidents that take place while under it, even when they do not result from negligence or carelessness on the part of that driver.

Of course the can hauler did not stop either.

03-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #7700
Site Supporter

Don't those containers from the ship/rail yards have to get hauled to their final destinations too? There's all kinds of idiots in the world & in all kinds of occupations. I'm a terrible, inattentive driver myself. I'm sure I piss off commercial drivers on a daily basis.

He still should have stopped. But he was probably so self absorbed & unaware that he didn't even recognize his own contribution to the accident.

Wouldn't an accident like that pretty much be the kiss of death for a commercial driver?
03-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #7701
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Quickest way to end your CDL career is to lock horns with a train! We had a nimrod with a load of eggs that thought he could beat a train to a crossing. He lost and now he is pushing a broom until retirement! lucky for him the trailer took the hit!
03-19-2014, 12:50 PM   #7702
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Quickest way to end your CDL career is to lock horns with a train! We had a nimrod with a load of eggs that thought he could beat a train to a crossing. He lost and now he is pushing a broom until retirement! lucky for him the trailer took the hit!
You mean he wasted a perfectly good load of chicken embryos? With a side of pig back, that's perfectly good eatin' just wasted!

03-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #7703
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes I do.

People I know who witnessed it said that the guy moving the OD load was crowded by a can hauler (the vermin that work the container ports). He wasn't able to slow enough for the can hauler to pass and then get over to the center of the road. He also was not able to slow enough to stop.

The driver needed to centerline the bridge to have adequate clearance.
That was my impression after looking at the surveillance video. The other truck overtook at a high rate of speed (I estimate 80 mph) giving the oversize driver no choice but to risk hitting the bridge. I guess this is one situation where the rear pilot car should have been a bit more proactive.

I wish the WSP had tracked that other truck down and at least slapped him with a lane violation. Of course, it would have served him right if the wide load had simply taken his lane. It would have also been very entertaining in the manner of Smokey and the Bandit.
"D'jou see theyt? Thet rig musta flew turdy fit in da ayr 'n gonna hunert fit before hit the river. Hot Dang!"

Steve

---------- Post added 03-19-14 at 01:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Wouldn't an accident like that pretty much be the kiss of death for a commercial driver?
It was "kiss of death" to the bridge, that is for sure. Both trucks made it across just fine but the next cars went into the river. Fortunately there were no fatalities.

Steve

---------- Post added 03-19-14 at 01:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
You mean he wasted a perfectly good load of chicken embryos? With a side of pig back, that's perfectly good eatin' just wasted!
Yep, too bad the tractor was spared. If it had been hit there would have been a fire and the whole town would have had a nice breakfast.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-19-2014 at 01:34 PM.
03-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #7704

Photos: Albums
I just realized that you, humans, have failed. Yes, failed. Let me repeat that: FAILED.

You failed to pay the invading aliens, and lens ownership agreement act : IALOAA for short.

Now, as unfortunate as this is, this leaves me little to no choice, but to confiscate all your lenses.
I derive no pleasure, or personal satisfaction, from drowning in a sea of lenses...I assure you.
03-19-2014, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #7705
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ALiEN|PoV Quote
this leaves me little to no choice, but to confiscate all your lenses.
moaon aabe :EYES:
03-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #7706
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The fun part was that they had to be kept refrigerated until use, then warmed prior to injection. We used to make the patient hold them, one in each hand, for 20 minutes to warm them. That gave them plenty of time to reevaluate their dating strategy while staring at the needles.

That meets or exceeds the the definition of cruel punishment.
03-19-2014, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #7707
Veteran Member

Never argue with a woman with a saber.
Nope, and for the record I am actually quite proficient with a sword, a crossbow, a regular bow, a staff, knives, and now lately a gun. It's just for sport really, but I do have my own little personal arsenal.
03-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #7708
Veteran Member

You go, girl!
03-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #7709
Site Supporter

Well, I took Princess out to take pictures of the skyline. We'll see what they look like when we get home!

And I did a really good job of NOT taking over. I only snapped a couple quick handheld shots of her taking her pictures & of the skyline. Other than that, the k-5ii stayed in the bag.
03-20-2014, 03:22 AM   #7710
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some people should not be allowed out of the house each day.
Truer words were never spoken. This should be writ large, on billboards maybe...

with a subtitle: "I am talking to YOU..."

(not you, Racer, the nitwit updating his/her FB page while driving...)