Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #7726
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
A Garand is something I've always wanted, but for some reason I've never got around to buying one.
Mine was a gift.

I certainly wouldn't expect Racer to confirm, deny, or even address this, but if I had to make a bet I'd play the odds and wager that, as a long haul driver, he doesn't travel alone. I know I wouldn't.
I never tip my hand, to be sure.

Especially when I go to places like Andrews Air Force Base, Offutt SAC Base, McConnell, etc. where they have kids with machine guns and bomb sniffing dogs.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I just finished doing my taxes and a check should be headed my way. Never-the-less, I will not succumb to the siren song of the hociR. I will not hasten the destruction of Tokyo or the wasting of much cheese. I may buy an old Exakta instead...

..only with a later "zebra" CZJ Pancolar 50/2...

Steve
Did I just stumble into the Gear Pron thread?

03-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #7727
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They send you a check? I arrange things so I need to write a check. Hate to lend them money all year on top of what they take anyway.
There is a cashflow advantage of arranging things so they pay you - you never get caught out thinking you have money to spend which turns out to be what you owe them. But it is nice to arrange things to be fairly close for obvious TVM reasons.
03-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #7728
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Mine was a gift.

Especially when I go to places like Andrews Air Force Base, Offutt SAC Base, McConnell, etc. where they have kids with machine guns
My first few years in the Air Force, before I retrained as a medic, I was one of those kids with a machine gun. Not at Andrews, Offutt, or McConnell, but at Eielson and Ellsworth.
03-20-2014, 11:25 PM   #7729
Pentaxian

That's gorgeous!
Agreed ... and even better with a zebra ... J

03-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #7730
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I certainly wouldn't expect Racer to confirm, deny, or even address this, but if I had to make a bet I'd play the odds and wager that, as a long haul driver, he doesn't travel alone. I know I wouldn't.
I suppose it may be worth mentioning that one time I did have to tell a guy with a switchblade that it is a foolish man who brings a knife to a gunfight, as I was reaching into my jacket.

I never even had to pull anything out either.

He got the message, put his sticker away and left, much like a dog with its tail tucked between its legs.

03-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #7731
Pentaxian

I suppose it may be worth mentioning that one time I did have to tell a guy with a switchblade that it is a foolish man who brings a knife to a gunfight, as I was reaching into my jacket.

I never even had to pull anything out either. ...
My dad's infamous criminal clientèle would sometimes pronounce direct and/or veiled "death threats" ... so the house was well stocked with a couple of hidden handguns and shotguns (aside for a locked closet which stored the "gun fees" acquired in lieu of cash ... jam packed, it was). When I worked in the rougher north part of Tulsa, I had a .45 Colt Combat Commander with HP's ... never needed it, thankfully.
03-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #7732
Veteran Member

I never even had to pull anything out either.

He got the message, put his sticker away and left, much like a dog with its tail tucked between its legs.

Racer, I am trying to remember the movie in which the line "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight" appeared. I am thinking it was "The Magnificent Seven." Any help?

03-21-2014, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #7733
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The Untouchables. Sean Connery.

"Isn't that just like a wop? Brings a knife to a gun fight."
03-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #7734
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you mean this?

Butch Cassidy: We'll start as soon as me and Logan get the rules worked out.
Harvey Logan: Rules? In a knife fight? No Rules!!

[Butch kicks Logan in the groin]

Butch Cassidy: Somebody count 1,2,3, Go!
Sundance: [Real fast] 1,2,3,Go . . .

[Butch knocks Logan out]

Last edited by monochrome; 03-22-2014 at 09:08 PM.
03-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #7735
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Origin of "knife to a gunfight" quote - Movies & TV Stack Exchange
03-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #7736
Veteran Member

Okay, I need to watch several movies again. I am voting for "Butch Cassidy" for the first use of the line. Will reserve opinion pending viewing.

---------- Post added 03-21-14 at 05:49 PM ----------

Parallax, you are correct about this movie line. Now I only have to watch two films.
03-22-2014, 06:06 AM   #7737
Site Supporter

Well, sucks to be me. Storms a couple days ago got my dsl modem AND my directv dvr.
03-22-2014, 06:13 AM   #7738
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

You definitely get the "My Week Sucks Worse Than Your Week" award!
Were they rented, or will you have to pay to replace them?
03-22-2014, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #7739
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful here, Amy. Clear and cold, light winds, bacon in the frying pan, cheeses in the fridge and Mrs. jac's birthday. Couldn't be better.
03-22-2014, 06:20 AM   #7740
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Well, sucks to be me. Storms a couple days ago got my dsl modem AND my directv dvr.
That does stuck indeed... No storms around here, luckily.

However, and we're going back on topic here, I just got another reason for not buying a K-3. Our never-sleeping tax authorities have just told me I will have to pay up some more. And they want almost exactly what a K-3 would have cost me.

That can't be a coincidence!