03-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #7921
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Not to worry--mud season is here.
Mud season?

Been mud season here since last Saturday.

Lives Lost: Eight Victims Identified in Washington Mudslide - NBC News

Washington Mudslide: Death Toll Rises to 25 as Rescuers Work in Rain - TIME

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
I'm glad you brought up weather as I did not want to take us off topic.
Off topic?

Off topic is the order of the day in this thread. In fact it has wandered so hopelessly far off topic that it will never get back on topic.

Carry on.

03-29-2014, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #7922
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Mud season?

Been mud season here since last Saturday.

Lives Lost: Eight Victims Identified in Washington Mudslide - NBC News

Washington Mudslide: Death Toll Rises to 25 as Rescuers Work in Rain - TIME

Off topic?

Off topic is the order of the day in this thread. In fact it has wandered so hopelessly far off topic that it will never get back on topic.

Carry on.
One main topic in this epic thread has been its off-topicness. We can wander all about the forest of topics, yet wander near many of them enough to touch ( and bounce off )... So our off-topicness is truly on-topic.

I wish the rains would let up and let the folks still digging have a bit of relief, but that seems unlikely for a few more days.

Jim
03-30-2014, 12:28 AM   #7923
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Fotunately the patina washed off once we got a day above freezing.
The other day my car looked like that only it wasn't dirt. The day after I washed it, literally, the trees around here released so much pollen that I walked outside and at first glance the car looked more yellow than red. It was so thick that even driving it to the mall didn't remove any of it. I had to hose it again when I got home. :P
03-30-2014, 12:55 AM   #7924
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
... the car looked more yellow than red.
I like yellow cars!

03-30-2014, 03:39 AM   #7925
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Finally, finally home! My boys each earned over $100 towards their summer camp expenses. They worked the whole day, no complaining & took only the half hour lunch I allowed them.
"Congratz" ... sounds like a great effort was done.

My girls' scout camp is only going to be about 60 miles southeast of Poitiers this year, so my wife and I are going to help with the pre-camp set-up (a weekend) and the post-camp teardown/pack-up ... Last year it was in Brittany, near Loirent, and my wife and I drove up to "help out" for a couple of days ... kitchen duty, some logistics help, etc. We stayed at a hotel and went to the beach a few times, so not a total loss ... and before that we spent a few days in Rennes ... J

Lorient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
03-30-2014, 08:39 AM   #7926
Site Supporter

I do NOT go camping with the Boy Scouts! They smell pretty rank after a couple days.

This year, I think their camp fee is $175? I can't recall. But they still have to pay off last year's camp fee, which turned out to be much higher than expected.
03-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #7927
Pentaxian

... They smell pretty rank after a couple days. ...
Same thing on this side of the Atlantic ... plus, camp fee "over-runs" ... bingo, same here, too. J

03-31-2014, 09:00 AM   #7928
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
My girls' scout camp is only going to be about 60 miles southeast of Poitiers this year, so my wife and I are going to help with the pre-camp set-up (a weekend) and the post-camp teardown/pack-up ... Last year it was in Brittany, near Loirent, and my wife and I drove up to "help out" for a couple of days ... kitchen duty, some logistics help, etc. We stayed at a hotel and went to the beach a few times, so not a total loss ... and before that we spent a few days in Rennes ... J
I do NOT go camping with the Boy Scouts! They smell pretty rank after a couple days.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Same thing on this side of the Atlantic ... plus, camp fee "over-runs" ... bingo, same here, too. J
I've camped with the Boy Scouts for 25 30 years. In my general experience -
  • Smelly boys is a failure of youth (and adult, since they taught the youth) leadership
  • Questionable diet is a failure of youth (and adult, since they taught the youth) leadership
  • Unsafe practices is a failure of youth (and adult, since they taught the youth) leadership
I think you get my message.

These days I teach experienced adult leaders how to teach new adult leaders how to BE adult leaders (basically, just go to the back of the room and shut up), which is to say how to teach youth to lead the Scouting Program. IMHO there is nothing an adult does in the Scout Program aside from driving a car and using a Credit Card that cannot and should not be done by a youth member.

The other thing I do is coordinate all the Eagle Scout Boards of Review in my District. I have about 125 volunteers who perform the Reviews, all of them trained by me and my team to provide a fair and correct Review. Depending on the year my Council performs between 1100 and 1300 Reviews (2 per Eagle Candidate) and recognize between 550 and 625 Eagle Scouts annually. My District Team performs between 40% and 45% of those.

Earning their way is part of the deal if their parents choose, - but we're also prepared to let them decide how to earn it, and for them to fail, and to support them and teach them when they do, and to put them back in a position to lead once again immediately after they do - etc.
03-31-2014, 02:48 PM   #7929
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are to be congratulated for this, Monochrome.
04-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #7930
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Little by little as the days lengthened, resistance to the dreaded hociR drew to an end...

:'(

Steve
04-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #7931
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Little by little as the days lengthened, resistance to the dreaded hociR drew to an end...

Steve
Nope ... write something controversial about cheese, bacon, etc. ... and that will light a fire under our bums maybe, J

PS - @ monochrome : Thanks for your input, but there's a "cultural element" that needs to be raised ... the French despite their castles, wine, museums, etc. ... well, lets' just say that personal hygiene can be questionable at times ... ever been around some "true Parisians" in a rush hour metro train or on a packed bus in the hotter summer-ish weather ? ... ... and sometimes no "heat" is needed either ... J
04-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #7932
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

Steve
Say it ain't so!
04-01-2014, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #7933
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Noooooo!
04-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #7934
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh. But the K10D is more than three times better, right??
04-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #7935
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Oh. But the K10D is more than three times better, right??

Thanks for reminding me. The temptation has passed. Besides, to purchase a K-3 would mean incurring the disdain of the omnipresent jogiba. It would be much better to buy an A7 and shoot joyous video with multiple adapted lenses...or not...

Steve