Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #7936
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
a K-3 would mean incurring the disdain of the omnipresent jogiba. It would be much better to buy an A7 and shoot joyous video with multiple adapted lenses.

04-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #7937
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for reminding me. The temptation has passed. Besides, to purchase a K-3 would mean incurring the disdain of the omnipresent jogiba. It would be much better to buy an A7 and shoot joyous video with multiple adapted lenses...or not...
You're welcome. I wonder if a Q7 would work as an antidote...
04-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #7938
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I've camped with the Boy Scouts for 25 30 years. In my general experience -
  • Smelly boys is a failure of youth (and adult, since they taught the youth) leadership
  • Questionable diet is a failure of youth (and adult, since they taught the youth) leadership
  • Unsafe practices is a failure of youth (and adult, since they taught the youth) leadership
I think you get my message.

These days I teach experienced adult leaders how to teach new adult leaders how to BE adult leaders (basically, just go to the back of the room and shut up), which is to say how to teach youth to lead the Scouting Program. IMHO there is nothing an adult does in the Scout Program aside from driving a car and using a Credit Card that cannot and should not be done by a youth member.

The other thing I do is coordinate all the Eagle Scout Boards of Review in my District. I have about 125 volunteers who perform the Reviews, all of them trained by me and my team to provide a fair and correct Review. Depending on the year my Council performs between 1100 and 1300 Reviews (2 per Eagle Candidate) and recognize between 550 and 625 Eagle Scouts annually. My District Team performs between 40% and 45% of those.

Earning their way is part of the deal if their parents choose, - but we're also prepared to let them decide how to earn it, and for them to fail, and to support them and teach them when they do, and to put them back in a position to lead once again immediately after they do - etc.
Oh, I agree. Some boys just don't do a great job at personal hygiene, short of standing over them in the shower, which of course you can't do!

Daniel has about a year & a couple Eagle required badges before he starts his project. I think he may be a Scout for life. Justin, not so much.
04-01-2014, 01:17 PM - 2 Likes   #7939
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I won't buy a K-3 because...

04-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #7940
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
PS - @ monochrome : Thanks for your input, but there's a "cultural element" that needs to be raised ... the French despite their castles, wine, museums, etc. ... well, lets' just say that personal hygiene can be questionable at times ... ever been around some "true Parisians" in a rush hour metro train or on a packed bus in the hotter summer-ish weather ? ... ... and sometimes no "heat" is needed either ... J
I've been in a rantish mood lately. We get 68° one day, then snow the next. iPhone Instagram has a use - for WTF?* posts.

* Moderator = Why The Face?
04-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #7941
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Daniel has about a year & a couple Eagle required badges before he starts his project.
Way cool. He does know he can start his project at any time while a Life Scout, right?
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I think he may be a Scout for life. Justin, not so much.
Every day in the program counts.
04-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #7942
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for reminding me. The temptation has passed. Besides, to purchase a K-3 would mean incurring the disdain of the omnipresent jogiba. It would be much better to buy an A7 and shoot joyous video with multiple adapted lenses...or not...

Steve
OMG - fate worse than death.

ynoS

04-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #7943
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
OMG - fate worse than death.

ynoS
Pronouced EeNose!!! Or if you live down south..Y'nose

Steve
04-01-2014, 07:12 PM   #7944
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Think that I should change the glow plugs on my 1.5L dCi diesel Renault Kangoo ?

Sorry, Jean, I could not let this get buried by indifference. All the non-Europeans must now know what a Kangoo is. My neighbor had an old EDF/GDF Kangoo (no one else ever bought that color) and I would mercilessly taunt him, in English, about it when he slowed down to enter his drive. I think he drives a Yeti now... so I might need to fly back and taunt some more!

Still better than a Multipla, but come on!
04-01-2014, 10:49 PM   #7945
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote

Sorry, Jean, I could not let this get buried by indifference. All the non-Europeans must now know what a Kangoo is. My neighbor had an old EDF/GDF Kangoo (no one else ever bought that color) and I would mercilessly taunt him, in English, about it when he slowed down to enter his drive. I think he drives a Yeti now... so I might need to fly back and taunt some more!

Still better than a Multipla, but come on!
Hmmm, kinda cute actually - I'd drive it around no problem! And I like the color
04-02-2014, 05:13 AM   #7946
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Hmmm, kinda cute actually - I'd drive it around no problem! And I like the color
Me too.
04-02-2014, 05:55 AM   #7947
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I drive a Chevrolet HHR and I like it.
04-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #7948
Pentaxian

Sorry, Jean, I could not let this get buried by indifference. All the non-Europeans must now know what a Kangoo is. ...
Thanks for your valuable support! The sliding side doors are very nice when loading my three girls, and the dog goes in the big "trunk area" ... mine is a newer model than your image. It's helped move us many times (plus some of my friends, too) and will probably get a newer one sometime in the future ... too darned practical and I had my fill of 'Vettes, 'Stangs, Goats and Z's (the 28 kind) in my misspent youth in the States ... J

Mine looks kind of like this one, trailer hitch included ...

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 04-02-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: tipoos
04-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #7949
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All the non-Europeans must now know what a Kangoo is.
Now I do and I want one--great camera case!
04-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #7950
Pentaxian

Aha... the old EDF panel vans had no sliding door (but a roof rack!). One of my coworkers in Vicenza (IT) was a drummer and drove one of these pretty much everywhere to get his gear around:

No one ever mocked him for his choice of vehicle, since he was/is 194cm tall and burly!

Of course, I drove one of these up and down the Vercors for many years (cheap, light, and bombproof). Subaru G3X, which is a rebranded AWD Suzuki Ignis:

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I drive a Chevrolet HHR and I like it.
If its also yellow, then your bravery knows no bounds!

Last edited by panoguy; 04-02-2014 at 09:27 AM.