Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

04-20-2014, 04:47 PM   #8342
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Hmpf. You probably call caviar "Russian stuff", too. And Champagne "sparkling wine". Again I say, "humpf".
No, only the exotic items that escape my spelling abilities...
edit: the russian stuff is what it is, fish eggs...yuk.
edit2: ever pull a bottle of that fine France fizzle from a snow-bank...bubbles be gone

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 04-20-2014 at 04:54 PM.
04-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #8343
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Probably doesn't like anything with zombie in the title either!!!
04-20-2014, 05:38 PM   #8344
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Much better. Now next question: what is that? Doesn't look like any air cleaner I've seen.
Well it is a type of air filter.

Sort of.

It is a DPF, or diesel particulate filter. There is also a pre catalyst, and the SCR (secondary catalytic reducer) that uses Diesel Exhaust Fluid (urea) to further reduce emissions.

Diesel engines are actually very dirty and even though some strategies similar to those used on gasoline engines, i.e. Exhaust Gas Recirculation, better combustion chamber design, and extremely high fuel injection pressures (about 35,000psi, many times higher than gasoline engine injection pressures), the only real way to clean them up is to use exhaust aftertreatment. The DPF catches the particulate (mostly carbon), and when there is enough of a pressure drop across it then an injector upstream of the DPF squirts some diesel fuel into the exhaust stream and initiates a "Regen". This burns the particulate mater off, cleaning up the soot that has collected.

Temperatures during a regen can reach 1,000 to 1,200 degrees F.

But the process is far from perfect, and after about 400,000 miles or so the DPF needs to be removed and cleaned. There are a number of different companies that have produced equipment that does this, basically by placing the DPF on a rotating table, and then using shop air to blow the crap out of it with nozzles that randomly move across the face of the ceramic substrate (the cream colored stuff in the photo).

After cleaning everything is reassembled and the truck is placed back in service.

Monstro a Volvo?
Yes, Monstro is a Volvo. A 780 to be precise. Haven't you seen the pictures I have posted? I started a thread here recently: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/256869-travel-wide-load-detour.html

And there are lots of pictures here : https://www.flickr.com/photos/91581745@N05/sets/72157635374929404/

Monstro is the 4th truck I have had in 5 years, the 3rd Volvo 780.

I named it Monstro after the whale in the Disney version of Pinocchio. Riding along in that truck is like floating along in the belly of a whale.

04-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #8345
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
It is a DPF, or diesel particulate filter
Cool!! I actually understood some of that!

Haven't you seen the pictures I have posted?
I thought you drove Volvo, just wanted to make sure. So are they any good? Our fleet was all International then they switched about the time our truck shop was built and all repair and upkeep was moved on sight.

---------- Post added 04-20-14 at 10:42 PM ----------

Nice photos of the road by the way!!
04-21-2014, 06:59 AM   #8346
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

So are they any good?
Well it depends on who you ask.

The purists, those who think that the classic looking conventionals like the Pete 379 and Kenworth W900 are the only way to go hate them. Of course they are used to riding along in a truck where the seat is only about 6" from the centerline of the chassis, where a Volvo has the seat about 18" further outboard. So riding in a Volvo can take some getting used to, as the movement as the truck rolls about the polar moment thing is greatly amplified. Hence, "riding in the belly of the whale".

The Volvo 780 like I drive is like a Cadillac. The ride is smooth and quiet. Everything about them is designed around driver comfort. As far as I know, Volvo is the only Class 8 truck that has a driver side airbag. Volvo is the only Class 8 truck that has cancelling turn signals.

Also, after getting a couple hundred thousand miles or more on them they are not subject to rattles, road and wind noise like some other trucks. The Freightliner I drove, for example, was very noisy running down the road, the wind noise would cause my ears to ring for days, the rattles of the dash and cabinets in the sleeper more than annoying, and until I put bungee cords on them the closet and cupboard doors would pop open on even the smallest of bumps.

There are things about the Volvos that I do not like.

The windshield is so big it is like a greenhouse. Even on a very cold winter day if the sun is shining through it I have to run the air conditioning to counteract the solar gain.

And the trucks are notorious for electrical gremlins. I have driven three of this same model, and every one had one electrical issue or another that the technicians could not figure out. One truck had a weird thing with the wipers. I would be happily rolling down the road on a nice day and all of a sudden I would hear a relay click, and the wipers would take a couple passes, smearing the dead bugs.

Class 8 trucks are pretty much all the same as far as chassis, drivetrain, and engines go. The main differences are in the coachwork, the cabs (and sleepers for over the road trucks). All trucks are built to order for the customer. Large fleets will have a "spec" that their trucks are built to. Individual customers, like owner operators, also spec a truck. You meet with the sales rep, and go over what you want, axle weight ratings, engine size, power and torque, transmission, frame size and rating, fuel tank(s) and layout, DEF tank size and location, 5th wheel type for tractors, cab type, interior, color, and any accessories like headache rack, side boxes, and extra lighting.
04-21-2014, 07:10 AM   #8347
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The funny thing is, the Pentaxian Lounge is supposed to be what this thread turned into.
Please don't rename this "Pentaxian Lounge" and move it, that would kill it for sure. We need a subject no one could take seriously for more than two posts to inspire us. And that's why I won't buy another K-3.

04-21-2014, 07:16 AM   #8348
Veteran Member

Thanks Racer!! That's why I like this thread, cool info galore!!!
04-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #8349
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Please don't rename this "Pentaxian Lounge" and move it, that would kill it for sure.
No way, Norm! I was just making an observation.
04-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #8350
Site Supporter

The only thing moving it there would accomplish is turning it into talk about the weather and where we all live! Speaking of which, all this gardening stuff has gotten me sore, dirty, and sunburned.
04-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #8351
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The funny thing is, the Pentaxian Lounge is supposed to be what this thread turned into.
Rupert's dinner pics over there must not have enough Bacon and Cheese.... Or maybe it's 'The Otis Effect' keeping everyone away.

Sad to hear about Bramela, glad it was peaceful though. Never an easy thing.

Jim
04-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #8352
Site Supporter

I thought Otis and dinner pics were like Fight Club....
04-21-2014, 09:49 AM   #8353
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Racer!! That's why I like this thread, cool info galore!!!
You're welcome.

So how about pictures of the trucks at your place?

Not taken with a K3 of course!
04-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #8354
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
The only thing moving it there would accomplish is turning it into talk about the weather and where we all live! Speaking of which, all this gardening stuff has gotten me sore, dirty, and sunburned.
You, too?! ... several hours behind the rototiller this afternoon, but too cloudy for any "burn" action ... My hands are still vibrating and gonna be sore tomorrow morning. Ah, but at least we'll have some good rows of "ratte" potatoes, etc.

Ratte potato - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit: was just bouncing about the Web on potato history and found this this: Frietmuseum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ... gotta be a joke. Then again, only Belgians could do this ...

More ... http://www.frietmuseum.be/en/

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 04-21-2014 at 10:19 AM.
04-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #8355
Veteran Member

So how about pictures of the trucks at your place?
Can do! I'll take the old warhorse in tomorrow! It ONLY has Pentax on it!!

Hey, what happened to Amy? She hasn't been around for a while. PM time.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »