Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #8371
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I'm not dead guys.
We're going to need proof. You can't believe everything you read on the internet.

04-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #8372
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hereabouts we know better than to till the earth before May 1st.
Up here in the soggy realm, it is pointless to attempt to till before the first week in May and sometimes after. Wet, wet, wet...

Steve
04-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #8373
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I'm not dead guys.
And I should get special bacon points for being the one who cared enough to ask!!!
04-21-2014, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #8374
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
And I should get special bacon points for being the one who cared enough to ask!!!
Will this do?

Attached Images

04-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #8375
Veteran Member

Grumpy Old Hocir Haters Around the World! The G.O.H.H.A.W.ay club
Ok I was looking through all my old posts and came across this gem. So good it needs to brought out again. Maybe it can be the new thread title!!

---------- Post added 04-21-14 at 03:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Will this do?
Yummy!!!!
04-21-2014, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #8376
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Snow is a 4 letter word. Just sayin'
So is poop. As in dog. About all that's been revealed so far as the snow shrinks - melt is too strong a term. And rocks. We do grow great rocks up here. The whole darned Arctic is one big rock garden. I've always felt that the Arctic is where the gods practiced before kicking off the real creativity.
04-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #8377
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like you had an awesome Easter!! Even with the neighbor yelling at you!
Ranks right up there.

And OMJ is a friend. He has my key for if we're out of town. I'm just never quite sure when he is serious and when he is kidding and I'm almost 60 and he's still Old Man Jankins.

I think he likes it like that.

04-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #8378
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Your description sounds like the difference between design for the driver, so things like driver fatigue and error are minimised, and design to the financial numbers of the buying company. Both design philosophies are possible but lead to different product designs.
True to a point.

But the company I drive for buys Peterbilt, Kenworth, Freightliner, International and Volvo. Each make that they purchase has the premium trim package. I have been able to take each one out for a spin, and by far the Volvo stands out in terms of the things I mentioned.

Additionally, the Volvo layout is much better in terms of maximum use of available space. The closet is larger, there are two drawers, and four overhead storage cupboards. The refrigerator/freezer is also much larger.

I know that Peterbilt likes to make out like their trucks have no match, their corporate slogan is "Class Pays. But the wind noise in a new truck is higher than that of a Volvo with 700,000 miles or more.

And the Kenworth T2000 model (now out of production) was designed to compete head to head with the Volvo 680 and 780 models. Again, road and wind noise are higher. The doors are big and heavy, and the hinges fall short. Like the Volvo, they use an automotive style hinge, rather than a continuous piano style hinge that worked so well on the classic models like the W900. After a year or two of use the mounting point on the door fails. The doors on the Kenworth are composite, rather than steel like the Volvo, and when the mounting area fails it requires extensive fiberglass repair.

I have yet to see a Volvo door that has failed where the hinges mount, and the hinges themselves are quite robust.

I know that the earlier Volvo trucks had issues with the dash. It is made almost entirely of plastic, and after a few hundred thousand miles bouncing along on some of our nation's poorly maintained highways they had become quite loose and would actually bounce up and down a bunch (like as much as 4" to 6" in the center). Volvo has addressed this, with updates for the older trucks, and the newer ones seem to have much sturdier assemblies.

But to be fair, I really would rather drive a Kenworth W900, or a Kenworth T660. Both share the same sleeper designs, and the Studio sleeper approaches the roominess and storage of the Volvo, but comes up just a bit short.

And they still do not have a lower bunk that changes into a table and bench seats like the Volvo.

Here is a shot of the inside of my first Volvo:

There is a ladder that stores on the left in this photo, and folds out for access to the upper bunk. The upper bunk in this truck also folds up against the back of the sleeper. Truck I am in now does not have a provision for folding the upper bunk out of the way.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 04-22-2014 at 10:34 AM. Reason: The other right!
04-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #8379
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Will this do?
Go on, eat your greens.
04-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #8380
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Go on, eat your greens.
Be careful of the thorns though.

Steve
04-22-2014, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #8381
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
True to a point.

But the company I drive for buys Peterbilt, Kenworth, Freightliner, International and Volvo. Each make that they purchase has the premium trim package. I have been able to take each one out for a spin, and by far the Volvo stands out in terms of the things I mentioned.

Additionally, the Volvo layout is much better in terms of maximum use of available space. The closet is larger, there are two drawers, and four overhead storage cupboards. The refrigerator/freezer is also much larger.

I know that Peterbilt likes to make out like their trucks have no match, their corporate slogan is "Class Pays. But the wind noise in a new truck is higher than that of a Volvo with 700,000 miles or more.

And the Kenworth T2000 model (now out of production) was designed to compete head to head with the Volvo 680 and 780 models. Again, road and wind noise are higher. The doors are big and heavy, and the hinges fall short. Like the Volvo, they use an automotive style hinge, rather than a continuous piano style hinge that worked so well on the classic models like the W900. After a year or two of use the mounting point on the door fails. The doors on the Kenworth are composite, rather than steel like the Volvo, and when the mounting area fails it requires extensive fiberglass repair.

I have yet to see a Volvo door that has failed where the hinges mount, and the hinges themselves are quite robust.

I know that the earlier Volvo trucks had issues with the dash. It is made almost entirely of plastic, and after a few hundred thousand miles bouncing along on some of our nation's poorly maintained highways they had become quite loose and would actually bounce up and down a bunch (like as much as 4" to 6" in the center). Volvo has addressed this, with updates for the older trucks, and the newer ones seem to have much sturdier assemblies.

But to be fair, I really would rather drive a Kenworth W900, or a Kenworth T660. Both share the same sleeper designs, and the Studio sleeper approaches the roominess and storage of the Volvo, but comes up just a bit short.

And they still do not have a lower bunk that changes into a table and bench seats like the Volvo.

Here is a shot of the inside of my first Volvo:

There is a ladder that stores on the left in this photo, and folds out for access to the upper bunk. The upper bunk in this truck also folds up against the back of the sleeper. Truck I am in now does not have a provision for folding the upper bunk out of the way.
Things have come a long way since my old Ford CL9000. Of course I don't remember the doors ever falling off that rolling water bed.
04-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #8382
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So how about pictures of the trucks at your place
Ok here you go:
Sleeper with older model deer killer

Day cab with the latest model of Mad max protection!

Our trucks have been taking a huge amount of deer damage. The new cages have saved a ton of money! Also I was talking to the trans. head, they are having a lot of issues with the new emission control systems. Filters clogging, sensors failing. Since we are sending out about 80 or more a day, it's a big deal!
04-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #8383

So, we had:

K7
k5
K5 II
K5 IIs
K3

Name of the next model?

Obviously, K1.618

Not silver, but GOLD!

what about the K01? Hmmm. Yes. Let's call it: K1.618_one
04-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #8384
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ALiEN|PoV Quote
Obviously, K1.618
No, I think K-1 for the regular production model.
K-1.618 would be for the limited Fibonacci edition.
04-22-2014, 02:58 PM   #8385
Site Supporter

I was hoping they would release a really slick model like the Ky.