Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
05-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #8731
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by JibbaJab Quote
One last question then: did any of the moderators entertain the idea of changing OP's user name to hociRdude? Because that would have been hilarious.
First they'd have to find him. Hasn't been heard of since he was lurking back in February. Tokyo and he are Doooomed!

05-24-2014, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #8732
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Any Lady that imbides single malt IS on the good side
If she leaves her hat on she's on the other good side. *

*Quoting Joe Cocker.
05-24-2014, 04:13 PM   #8733
Veteran Member

One last question then: did any of the moderators entertain the idea of changing OP's user name to hociRdude? Because that would have been hilarious.
I strongly object. That can't be the Last Question.
05-25-2014, 06:55 AM   #8734
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I'm reading this thread for the first time and I'm confused how we got from the crotchety OP to 582 pages of replies. But it seems bacon and beer are somehow involved so this must be a good thread.

So based on OP's prognostications, is Adam going to change the name of the board to RicohForums.com?
Shhh!

Don't give him any ideas!

The secret lies in plausible deniability. A*200mm Macro - "Just an old manual lens I thought I'd try. Nothing fancy like those new auto -focus ones." Hocir 3K Limited Edition - "It's the silver one and will probably scratch up but the new black one seemed too expensive". Distraction is effective too. "Here's the new lens I got you, honey. 18-135mm." While she's distracted, you leave the other little box containing the FA 31mm in the shipping pack and head for the back room.
I could go on but ...
My strategy is a bit different.

Since they are all the same color, black, to Mrs. Racer they all look the same to her. As long as I never have more than two camera bodies (my first DSLR was the *istDL, the second the K10D) out at any given time I'm safe. She never pays enough attention to be able to discern an *istDL from a K5IIs, etc.

As for lenses, well I have quite a few, they are all black, and as long as I never have them all out at the same time suspicion is usually not raised.

Well, actually, it did induce some interest last year when I bought a case to use for storage and carrying the lenses that I had no room for in my camera bag that I carry everywhere. With the cameras and lenses I usually try to be home when the Brown Truck rumbles down the driveway, and of course find some excuse for Mrs. Racer to run to town on an errand. With the delivery of the case I was not able to orchestrate the subterfuge and she was home when it arrived.

All was not lost then of course, as I had already made sure that she knew it was coming, and that it did not cost very much. And the obvious utility of the case helped to assure her acceptance of the purchase.

Then there is Christmas and my birthday, always a perfect opportunity to add to my kit. Mrs. Racer is always happy to gift me something photography related, all that I need to do is fire off a short e-mail to her with a link and a picture. As long as the cost is reasonable the item(s) are always under the tree or next to the cake.

Mrs. Racer's first husband was an unfaithful womanizer and her second husband was a drunk. My only vices are everything related to being a gearhead and photography. Since I am a light consumer of adult malted beverages and only have eyes for her, she tolerates my hobbies, even when they sometimes involve significant monetary investments. As long as there is always money to pay my share of the bills all is good.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Adam already owns richoforums.com. Follow this link: Ricoh Forums
Yes, but when one clicks the link to the "Forums" section, it comes right back here: Pentax Compact Cameras - PentaxForums.com

{To Pentax Forums.}

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
And lutefisk and pickled herring! Why does everyone always leave out the lutefisk and pickled herring??!
Indeed!

How could anyone leave out one of nature's perfect foods?

How?

My husband isn't a photographer so I don't have this brilliant recourse. When my lenses arrive, it usually entails me yelling, "DON'T JUDGE ME! Lens Buying Addiction is a serious condition!" and retreating to the back room to be alone with my gear.
Use your photography to showcase him and his interests. A sure way to get any man interested in cameras and camera gear.

But that's cheating.
It is only "cheating" if one is caught.

Until then it is "cheatin' ".

Just ask Richard Petty, Junior Johnson, Ralph Earnhardt, Buddy Baker, Niel Bonnett, Mark Martin, Herschel McGriff, Cotton Owens, Benny Parsons, David Pearson, Bill Elliott, Red Farmer, Tim Flock, Bobby Allison, Fireball Roberts, Ricky Rudd, Curtis Turner, Ned Jarrett, Bobby Isaac, Ernie Ervan, Alan Kulwicki, Lee Petty, Dale Jarrett, Harry Gant, Rusty Wallace, Darrell Waltrip, Joe Weatherly, Cale Yarborough, Jerry Cook, Richie Evans, Dale Earnhardt, Lee Roy Yarborough, Glen Wood, Rex White, Jeff Gordon, etc.

They all engaged in cheatin', which is perfectly OK. It only becomes cheating when they were caught.

Then it is a bad thing, and not OK.

You don't play by rules.
Rules?

Those are simply guidelines. Meant to be stretched, misinterpreted, bent, even broken.

And made up as we go along . . . . . . . . .

Ask a Lady advice of the day: chocolate and single malt whiskey do wonders for getting on our good side.
Mmmmm . . . . . . . . chocolate . . . . . . . . . and whiskey!

A perfect combination.

Your husband is a very lucky man to have a woman who will share some whiskey with him.

Mrs. Racer does not care for whiskey, so I must imbibe in a solitary manner, or with my male friends.

As an aside, did you know that whiskey is sunlight, held together with water? Oh yes! So have a shot of sunlight on me!

Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker?
And candy combined with liquor is even better!

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
Don't make things so complicated. I was convinced at "getting on our good side".
I gave up on that a long time ago. These days I focus on making it through each day with everything still intact and attached.

Any Lady that imbides single malt IS on the good side
That's right!

Now that is a sterling idea!

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
I strongly object. That can't be the Last Question.
To this I wholeheartedly agree. There never will be "one last question".

05-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #8735
Pentaxian

At last, it has begun ... hociR will be dramatically racking up its retail prices as evidenced by the "trickle down" theory ... Here, we can see exorbitantly expensive extension tubes as a result of their new strategy ...

(enter "Doors" music ... "This is the end ... " )

Macro Extension Tube Ring SET FOR Pentax PK K Mount D SLR K20D K 7 K200D K100D | eBay
05-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #8736
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
At last, it has begun ... hociR will be dramatically racking up its retail prices as evidenced by the "trickle down" theory ... Here, we can see exorbitantly expensive extension tubes as a result of their new strategy ...
But Jean, these are special. They don't have all those little ball-bearing connector contacts that can fall out; you get to do everything manually for precision shooting! (P.S. maybe it was the Hocir that slipped in the back door of eBay in a search for the last members of La Resistance.)
05-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #8737
Pentaxian

But Jean, these are special. They don't have all those little ball-bearing connector contacts that can fall out; you get to do everything manually for precision shooting! (P.S. maybe it was the Hocir that slipped in the back door of eBay in a search for the last members of La Resistance.)
Good point, jac, a very good point ... eBay was hacked recently, but they didn't exactly say how and by who (who-ciR?).

And to think of it, maybe I should have said the "trickle UP" theory instead ... like p--ing up a tree trunk; always start from the grassy ground root base area ... n'est-ce pas ?!

05-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #8738
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Good point, jac, a very good point ... eBay was hacked recently, but they didn't exactly say how and by who (who-ciR?).

And to think of it, maybe I should have said the "trickle UP" theory instead ... like p--ing up a tree trunk; always start from the grassy ground root base area ... n'est-ce pas ?!
Vrai, vrai.
05-25-2014, 06:25 PM   #8739
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
NOOO!
These ones are the gold ones, made to match the goldplated LX.
The difference is that they are solid gold and painted black so as to not look too ostentatious.
05-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #8740
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If she leaves her hat on she's on the other good side. *

You can leave your hat on (Joe Cocker): official clip! - YouTube

*Quoting Joe Cocker.
Oh, yeah...I remember the movie, and the scene

Steve
05-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #8741
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
NOOO!
These ones are the gold ones, made to match the goldplated LX.
The difference is that they are solid gold and painted black so as to not look too ostentatious.
I hear they're also designed to withstand microgravity and hard vacuum conditions, so they're rated for taking macro photos in outer space.
05-25-2014, 08:35 PM   #8742
Veteran Member

Let's get serious here. Has it occurred to anyone that the K3 is totally useless without batteries?
05-25-2014, 08:35 PM   #8743
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Actually, I have an extension set just like the one Jean posted.
I will discount mine to 1,000 euros and posted free to anywhere in the universe,
Any takers?
05-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #8744

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
Let's get serious here. Has it occurred to anyone that the K3 is totally useless without batteries?
I beg to differ. There are multiple perfectly valid uses for battery-less K-3:
a nutcracker (including, but not limited to, as a persuasion tool for CaNinfidels, nuts may be involved)
with DA*300 attached can be used by law enforcement for knocking down doors
other uses [please fill in the blanks]
05-25-2014, 09:38 PM   #8745
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by karro Quote
I beg to differ. There are multiple perfectly valid uses for battery-less K-3:
a nutcracker (including, but not limited to, as a persuasion tool for CaNinfidels, nuts may be involved)
with DA*300 attached can be used by law enforcement for knocking down doors
other uses [please fill in the blanks]

OK, I guess you're right. The empty battery compartment would make a pretty good stash for dope.