Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2014, 04:20 AM   #8911
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I don't know about schools. It was less than 1/4 mile from USC. You bring to mind a story I heard from a teaching in a rough part of town here some years ago - a boy went to school and before school began displayed dramatic evidence of his breakfast having been a half bottle of brandy.
It's been a while but the dramatic evidence you mentioned reminded me of a young lady who arrived from the bus lot to a science classroom next to mine. What passes for breakfast for American middle schoolers is one kernel short of toxic. In a rush to get to the bus she reached in the fridge and grabbed a stack of sliced process American "cheese" and ran to the bus. By the time she reached school and outside my door, pale, shaken, and stirred, the floodgates opened and projectile cheese confetti spewed Monty Pythonlike over the hallway. To middle schoolers it might as well have been "Snakes on the Plane." I called for the custodian knowing I would have to clean it up anyway. When one student asked me why I was cleaning the floor I told her I had experience…….I cooked in the US Navy and had lots of practice from fellow cooks doing the same thing many mornings from adult beverages the night before. Terrazzo is much easier to clean than concrete anyway.

06-12-2014, 06:48 AM   #8912
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Just don't drink the water . . . . .
I found out to not eat the fresh fruit or salad the hard way.
06-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #8913
Pentaxian

TBT hociR FB quiz ... Quote : "It's that time again...#ThrowbackThursday! Can you name this camera from 1989? Hint: this camera hit the shelves with a manual exposure control function, lever winding mechanism, and aperture-priority."

06-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #8914
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
TBT hociR FB quiz ... Quote : "It's that time again...#ThrowbackThursday! Can you name this camera from 1989? Hint: this camera hit the shelves with a manual exposure control function, lever winding mechanism, and aperture-priority."
That's my baby's twin sister! I'm liking my P30T.

06-13-2014, 01:40 AM   #8915

Oh, and welcome to the clubhouse!
06-13-2014, 08:06 PM   #8916
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I made a run up to Sidney, British Columbia, Canada yesterday. Another driver and I went to a place that designs, manufactures and sells log debarking equipment for lumber and paper mills, Nicholson Manufacturing, LTD to pick up a debarker and the associated peripherals that are headed for Arkansas, USA. The other driver got the main piece, at 64,000 pounds, and I picked up the "accessories".

As Sidney is on Vancouver Island we took a ride on the BC Ferry System. Always a fun trip, but expensive. Heavy trucks pay the fare based on their length. It was about $450 for each truck and trailer.

And like I said, the ride is a treat. I always get out and go all over the ferry, exploring every deck, taking photos, enjoying the scenery, and people watching. I saw a lot of "tourists", mostly Chinese {The greater Vancouver area has a huge population of Chinese immigrants}, and of course they were all taking pictures, many of them with Nikon and Canon cameras.

I was watching carefully, and mine was the only Pentax.

There was one young couple happily snapping away, mostly selfies, with a Nikon Coolpix point and shoot. I waited patiently as they were standing directly in front of a portion of the ferry I wanted to take some shots of. As they were about to move on the young lady said something to her man in their native language, and looked at me.

Then he asked me if I would take their picture together and offered up their little camera. I was only to happy to oblige, being the nice guy that I am. I accepted the camera and made a couple of shots for them, even getting them to pose just so. They looked at them and then thanked me, then the guy pointed at my K5IIs and asked me, "G5?".

I politely pointed to where is has Pentax on the front, and said, "No, not Panasonic, Pentax!" and smiled broadly.

Obviously thinking he knew his cameras, he asked, "K3?"

So I pointed to the other part of the front, and said, "Um, no, K5IIs!" and smiled even more.

Life is good.

Without the livE hociR.
06-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #8917
Pentaxian

Nice story. I find it funny that many people take their little camera when they go travelling. I bought a proper camera because I have the privilege of travelling at the boss's expense quite a bit.

06-14-2014, 05:39 AM   #8918
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Obviously thinking he knew his cameras, he asked, "K3?"
Obviously in the thrall of the hociR...

Steve
06-14-2014, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #8919
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Then he asked me if I would take their picture together and offered up their little camera.
Had a similar experience at the botanical garden a while back, a happy young Asian couple snapping away with their P&S (I forget the make and model now). Then the young lady spied my DSLR (my fairly new Kr) and said something to the effect, "Oh, professional camera! You take picture of us, please?" Of course! They handed over their camera, posed for a couple of images, and went happily on their way. I don't recall their making any other comment about my camera (other than admiring it) but they were delighted that someone with a "pro" camera would take a moment to shoot some photos of them together.

No livE hociR in sight.
06-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #8920
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice story.
Thanks Tim!

I bought a proper camera because I have the privilege of travelling at the boss's expense quite a bit.
Me too!

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Obviously in the thrall of the hociR...

Steve
Yes, I believe it is spreading, like the Plague. Many have become infected, but for some I believe they have a resistance to it.

Like me.

The livE hociR will not get to me, for I have developed a special antibody, and shall be able to stave off the affects for quite some time.

As for the Soylent Green though, well, that is another matter altogether!
06-14-2014, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #8921
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As for the Soylent Green though, well, that is another matter altogether!
Soylent Green tastes like chicken. Muy Sabrosa!

Steve
06-14-2014, 08:48 AM   #8922
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Then the young lady spied my DSLR (my fairly new Kr) and said something to the effect, "Oh, professional camera!
I get that quite a bit. Or they see the camera and ask, "Are you a professional?"

Last year I stopped in Yuma, Arizona for the night. After getting my truck parked I noticed a cabover Pete at the fuel island. Now cabover trucks are getting scarce in North America, this one was in pretty good shape, and it was hooked to an unusual trailer (a 57 footer, generally trailers are 53 feet long) so I grabbed my camera and took a few shots of it. As I was taking photos the driver came back out from the fuel desk and saw me. He walked up to me and asked, "Are you a professional?"

Of course the smart ass side of me came to life, and I replied, "Why yes. Yes I am! Well I am a truck driver, just like you, so I guess that makes me a 'professional'."

Of course I followed up with, "No, I am only an amateur photographer. But I noticed the cabover you are driving, and the extra long trailer. You don't see many cabovers anymore, and the legal length for trailers is 53 feet."

The guy explained how the company he drives for uses the tractor/trailer combination of cabover and 57 foort trailer to move more freight, and they are for a dedicated run from Southern California to Central Texas.

Here is one of the shots I took. (Without a K-3)

And one from the side. Notice how deep the pin (the part that hooks to the tractor) is, and how much of the trailer hangs out behind the tandems. Hooking to a tractor like mine would not be possible, even with the plate all the way back, as the trailer would hit the back of the sleeper.

06-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #8923
Pentaxian

I get that quite a bit. Or they see the camera and ask, "Are you a professional?"

Last year I stopped in Yuma, Arizona for the night. After getting my truck parked I noticed a cabover Pete at the fuel island. Now cabover trucks are getting scarce in North America, this one was in pretty good shape, and it was hooked to an unusual trailer (a 57 footer, generally trailers are 53 feet long) so I grabbed my camera and took a few shots of it. As I was taking photos the driver came back out from the fuel desk and saw me. He walked up to me and asked, "Are you a professional?"

When I was a young driver I had a Mazda 1300, weighed 830kg. Back then cab-over trucks were fairly common. I always had to look at oncoming traffic. If the cabover was of brand "White" I knew the airblast would be horrendous. Those things should have been banned as dangerous to other drivers - besides there were plenty of other brands to choose from at the shop. (Most of our highways are still two lane roads, with passing in the lane where oncoming approaches.)

I find it weird in US to see the amount of overhand on trailers from the rear axle of the trailer. In Australia the trailer wheels are almost always at the back (so the mudflaps could be hung from the bar with the rear lights). I see the same in other countries I travel to where I notice the details - notable Singapore and Taiwan. Also it is very common for us to see triple rear axles - I think that is to reduce the axle loading which increases the number of roads and bridges the trucks can use - which in turn improves business. Another difference - our trucks have a lot more lights to increase visibility of the edges of the truck to other road users. I don't think our law requires them but a lot of people here have the general attitude - do stuff that makes trouble less likely because dealing with the fallout of trouble, especially if it COULD lead to a court case, is too hard.
06-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #8924
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why are cabovers fading away? I hadn't thought about it, but there don't seem to be as many as there used to be.
06-14-2014, 02:21 PM - 2 Likes   #8925
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Why are cabovers fading away? I hadn't thought about it, but there don't seem to be as many as there used to be.
Because Racer's Condo won't fit in a cabover. There's no room for the waterbed.