Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
LOL

06-14-2014, 06:39 PM   #8927
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I made a run up to Sidney, British Columbia, Canada yesterday. Another driver and I went to a place that designs, manufactures and sells log debarking equipment for lumber and paper mills, Nicholson Manufacturing, LTD to pick up a debarker and the associated peripherals that are headed for Arkansas, USA. The other driver got the main piece, at 64,000 pounds, and I picked up the "accessories".

As Sidney is on Vancouver Island we took a ride on the BC Ferry System. Always a fun trip, but expensive. Heavy trucks pay the fare based on their length. It was about $450 for each truck and trailer.

And like I said, the ride is a treat. I always get out and go all over the ferry, exploring every deck, taking photos, enjoying the scenery, and people watching. I saw a lot of "tourists", mostly Chinese {The greater Vancouver area has a huge population of Chinese immigrants}, and of course they were all taking pictures, many of them with Nikon and Canon cameras.

I was watching carefully, and mine was the only Pentax.

There was one young couple happily snapping away, mostly selfies, with a Nikon Coolpix point and shoot. I waited patiently as they were standing directly in front of a portion of the ferry I wanted to take some shots of. As they were about to move on the young lady said something to her man in their native language, and looked at me.

Then he asked me if I would take their picture together and offered up their little camera. I was only to happy to oblige, being the nice guy that I am. I accepted the camera and made a couple of shots for them, even getting them to pose just so. They looked at them and then thanked me, then the guy pointed at my K5IIs and asked me, "G5?".

I politely pointed to where is has Pentax on the front, and said, "No, not Panasonic, Pentax!" and smiled broadly.

Obviously thinking he knew his cameras, he asked, "K3?"

So I pointed to the other part of the front, and said, "Um, no, K5IIs!" and smiled even more.

Life is good.

Without the livE hociR.
Well done sir. You did your civic duty to promote the cause.

---------- Post added 06-14-14 at 09:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I get that quite a bit. Or they see the camera and ask, "Are you a professional?"

Last year I stopped in Yuma, Arizona for the night. After getting my truck parked I noticed a cabover Pete at the fuel island. Now cabover trucks are getting scarce in North America, this one was in pretty good shape, and it was hooked to an unusual trailer (a 57 footer, generally trailers are 53 feet long) so I grabbed my camera and took a few shots of it. As I was taking photos the driver came back out from the fuel desk and saw me. He walked up to me and asked, "Are you a professional?"

Of course the smart ass side of me came to life, and I replied, "Why yes. Yes I am! Well I am a truck driver, just like you, so I guess that makes me a 'professional'."

Of course I followed up with, "No, I am only an amateur photographer. But I noticed the cabover you are driving, and the extra long trailer. You don't see many cabovers anymore, and the legal length for trailers is 53 feet."

The guy explained how the company he drives for uses the tractor/trailer combination of cabover and 57 foort trailer to move more freight, and they are for a dedicated run from Southern California to Central Texas.

Here is one of the shots I took. (Without a K-3)

And one from the side. Notice how deep the pin (the part that hooks to the tractor) is, and how much of the trailer hangs out behind the tandems. Hooking to a tractor like mine would not be possible, even with the plate all the way back, as the trailer would hit the back of the sleeper.

Fit for the former eastern block driver...
06-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #8928
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What does it mean when you bought a Pentax M lens here 6 years ago, sold it to another member, who sold it to another member who has listed it For Sale at a higher price than you originally bought it - and you actually read the FS post and considered for a moment buying the lens back?

Is that a guerrilla action against the hociR Overlords?
06-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #8929
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What does it mean when you bought a Pentax M lens here 6 years ago, sold it to another member, who sold it to another member who has listed it For Sale at a higher price than you originally bought it - and you actually read the FS post and considered for a moment buying the lens back?

Nope, it means that you should not have sold it in the first place.

06-14-2014, 09:41 PM   #8930
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Nope, it means that you should not have sold it in the first place.
Ah. You have a deeper understanding of the addiction then. So it is OK to own a

ST105/2.8
S-M-C 105/2.8
M100/2.8 and
K105/2.8.

When I replaced the M100 with the K105 Chris told me I'd be sorry if I sold it but I didn't listen.
06-15-2014, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #8931

Ah. You have a deeper understanding of the addiction then. So it is OK to own a

ST105/2.8
S-M-C 105/2.8
M100/2.8 and
K105/2.8.

When I replaced the M100 with the K105 Chris told me I'd be sorry if I sold it but I didn't listen.
Sorry to jump in here, but I'm puzzled. Why wouldn't it be OK to own all four lenses. They're all different, therefore probably essential elements of any photographer's kit. You might also need the SMC 100mm Macro WR. And a couple of these in duplicate, in case you lose one.
06-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #8932
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kentishrev Quote
You might also need the SMC 100mm Macro WR. And a couple of these in duplicate, in case you lose one.
Or in case one acts up and you need to compare with a known good one

06-15-2014, 05:12 PM   #8933
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

It only goes to prove that the M series lenses are very good lenses indeed.
06-15-2014, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #8934
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to jump in here, but I'm puzzled. Why wouldn't it be OK to own all four lenses. They're all different, therefore probably essential elements of any photographer's kit. You might also need the SMC 100mm Macro WR. And a couple of these in duplicate, in case you lose one.
Excellent observation.

Oh, and I see you are a n00b.

Welcome to the club.

But beware the livE hociR!
06-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #8935
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Well done sir. You did your civic duty to promote the cause.
Why thank you!
06-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #8936
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am humbled. I only kept the K105 and a Tamron 90/2.5 Macro.
06-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #8937
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Non of that explains why cabovers are disappearing. confused2
06-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #8938
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Non of that explains why cabovers are disappearing. :confused2:
Try and keep up, Parallax!
We have moved on: we are now discussing why one needs multiple lenses of the same/similar focal lengths.

06-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #8939
Veteran Member

I'm paying attention. I need all the justification I can get to feed my LBA - or due to lack finances, just excuses to lust...
06-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #8940
Pentaxian

... And a couple of these in duplicate, in case you lose one.
Now that's the spirit !!!

Always wanted an Olds 4-4-2 ... but settled for Russian 44-2 (old snap; there's even more now)

Who needs a hocIR K3 girl-group dSRL when you can have multiple commie tineZ and soileH combos