Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
07-24-2014, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #9556
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
They don't?

I was just reading that Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp (the company that made the corrector for Hubble and is a subsidiary of the company that makes canning jars) is working with the B612 Foundation, a nonprofit group of scientists and explorers whose goal is to build, launch, and operate the first privately funded deep space mission. The information at this location:

Ball Aerospace - Sentinel

says they are going to place a space telescope in orbit that will save the world by mapping the inner solar system (take pictures) and identifying any threat to Earth from asteroids.

With a camera like that who needs a K3?
Actually Bell Aerospace contracted to Eastman Kodak to make the correction module for the Hubble scope. Kodak also put in a bid to manufacture the original mirror but was underbid by the company that did make the mirror. One reason that Kodak lost was that their bid included the cost of the testing that would have found the defect that actually was in the mirror.

At one time, Kodak was one of the premier manufacturer of precision optics on the planet. It was just that most of it was not available to the general public.

07-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #9557
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
It leaves a very distinctive mark. One Saturday afternoon, when I was working in the ER (long, long ago; in a galaxy far, far away), a guy came in holding a bloody washcloth to his right supraorbital. He took the cloth away and before he said anything I said "New rifle scope?". He got a really puzzled look on his face and said "uh, yeah???"
I've never understood why the ring around the exit pupil isn't padded. I suppose the manufacturers expect users to just know they should look into the ocular lens from a suitable distance (through the scope, not into the scope) so the recoil doesn't cause an injury.

I also note that Parallax error becomes a problem at high magnifications.
07-24-2014, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #9558
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I've never understood why the ring around the exit pupil isn't padded. I suppose the manufacturers expect users to just know they should look into the ocular lens from a suitable distance (through the scope, not into the scope) so the recoil doesn't cause an injury.

That does not exist, Parallax error ... urban myth.

(Does this get me some "brownie" points ... or some various shaded "grey" points ?)
07-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #9559
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Nobody buys cameras anymore from the company that designed and built the optical system that compensated for the flaw in the Hubble telescope mirror.
It's because Kodak makes copiers.

07-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #9560
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Parallax error, paraphrased, is things appear different from how they actually are. That should give some insight as to my choice of screen name.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
That does not exist, Parallax error ... urban myth.(Does this get me some "brownie" points ... or some various shaded "grey" points ?)
Oh, how I wish 'twere true! (yeah, yeah, you get a like for that. suckup.......)
07-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #9561
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Parallax error, paraphrased, is things appear different from how they actually are. That should give some insight as to my choice of screen name.
Well, I guess it's all in how you look at it.
07-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #9562
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
It's because Kodak makes copiers.
in my 40 years at Kodak I have worked on:

High speed photo paper printers for the photofinishing industry.
Microfilmers.
Microfilm retrieval systems.
Minilab testing.
Ektachem 400 and 750 blood analyzers.
Copier test equipment.
Printing plate processors.
Graphic art cameras and processors.
Aerial film processing equipment.
And now Magnus, Trendsetter and Lotem Platesetter.
Very high end inkjet printer.

Job titles have included:

Final line inspector
Test lab technician.
Supervisor.
QA Engineer.
Service Engineer supporting field repair techs.
Service Business Planner.
Service Engineer again.
And now Field Engineer providing on site support for the above mentioned platesetters.

I could not have asked for a more diverse career and somehow have survived it all to still be there. I have traveled to Europe, Asia and Central America. It pains me greatly to see what has happened to a once great company. Kodak was involved in so many things that people have never heard of. I was constantly suggesting that they advertise themselves as something different that just a film company.

And through it all, not one item ever said hociR. Although I myself am the owner of two Ricoh XRM cameras.

07-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #9563
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I guess it's all in how you look at it.
Nope. The difference is in how you see it.
07-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #9564
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I noticed a theme in the comments on the new fifty shades of grey K-3 announcement: Pentax is Doomed!! I think this thread has influenced the general population in the forum!! Not only are we now internationally famous, but are able to affect other threads and announcements!! We are all powerful!!! (maniacal laughter here)
Bacon lovers will rule the earth!!!
07-24-2014, 07:08 PM   #9565
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
I noticed a theme in the comments on the new fifty shades of grey K-3 announcement: Pentax is Doomed!! I think this thread has influenced the general population in the forum!! Not only are we now internationally famous, but are able to affect other threads and announcements!! We are all powerful!!! (maniacal laughter here)
Bacon lovers will rule the earth!!!
Even Godzilla is no match for this Leviathan of a thread. Bacon lovers will rule the Earth and this indefatigable thread WILL RULE THE INTERNET!
07-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #9566
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I thought I had seen Pentax rifle scopes before.

In fact I am looking for a scope for my Mini !4, and may even consider a Pentax scope. I see that they are not blighted with the mark of hociR.

Yet.

And I also see that they come at a higher price than their nokiN counterparts.

Gotta be a reason beyond out and out GREED.

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Unfortunately, these items can cause a condition called scope eye. It occurs when the scope is placed on a high power rifle or shotgun and the shooter then places the eye too close to the scope. The results can be most colorful.
It leaves a very distinctive mark. One Saturday afternoon, when I was working in the ER (long, long ago; in a galaxy far, far away), a guy came in holding a bloody washcloth to his right supraorbital. He took the cloth away and before he said anything I said "New rifle scope?". He got a really puzzled look on his face and said "uh, yeah???"
Years ago a bunch of us decided to head to the range and "sight in" our rifles prior to the upcoming hunting season. One of the guys had not done much shooting, in fact I doubt he had ever handled a gun until then. He had only a few weeks earlier inherited a nice 30-06 rifle from his grandfather.

So we all loaded up our guns, ammo and earplugs, grabbed a couple six packs and headed out to the range. By the time we arrived at the range the beer was gone and we were ready to commence the sighting in. Targets were tacked downrange, sandbags set and benches adjusted. Magazines were loaded, scopes adjusted, and then we each took a seat at a station.

One by one rifles were fired, binoculars passed around, adjustments made, more shots, etc.

It didn't take long for us to notice that the one guy had only taken one shot, had not asked for the binoculars, and was very quiet. So we called for a cease fire and went over to his bench.

The poor guy was cupping his eye (the left one), and blood was running between his fingers and down his arm.

Yep, he had placed his eye directly up to the scope.

The left eye.

Turns out the guy is left handed, and should have been using a left handed gun and should have been holding it up to his left shoulder, with the left hand on the trigger and the right hand on the forestock.

But as I said, he had little if any experience.

So we loaded up our gear and took him into town to the hospital. It took 4 or 5 stitches to close the wound.

And then he insisted we head back to the range, which we did, and then we did our best to coach him on proper gun use. We showed him how to hold the rifle as a left hander should, even though the gun was a right handed one. He made a few shots, and then just hung out while we burned up a box or so each of shells.

He also never went hunting with us that year.

In fact I doubt he has fired a gun since.

And having thick eyebrows the scar barely shows.
07-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #9567
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
I noticed a theme in the comments on the new fifty shades of grey K-3 announcement: Pentax is Doomed!!
Pray tell, where is this "fifty shades of grey announcement"?
07-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #9568
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the home page.
07-24-2014, 10:35 PM   #9569
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
On the home page.
Actually a really sweet looking setup!! Just the carrot to have more unwitting Pentaxians sell their souls to the livE hociR and advance the domination of the world by a copier company that will lead to the destruction of Tokyo by a sterioded up lizard! Nothing like a run on sentence to start the day!
07-25-2014, 12:44 AM   #9570
Pentaxian

Yesterday's TBT FB question from hociR homepage ... "PENTAX introduced the world's first autofocus medium format SLR camera in 1997. Can you name it? #TBT"

Might have been a bit harder if they had hidden the 645N on the top ... just sayin' ...

PS - A "(c)KenRockwell.com" image ?