Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #9706
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I can't think of a single thing I'd want to see badly enough to be in a crowd like that. My definition of a maximum acceptable crowd is 2 people ahead of me in line at Burger King.
Another angle for Parallax, the view at the entrance to the gallery room ... too many peoples preventing me from thinkin' 'bout a K-3 !

08-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #9707
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking at a crowd like that gives me the jeeblies, but I've faced as bad in NYC.

The sad thing about having such a mob around the Mona Lisa is that it's not so much about appreciating the painting, as it is checking a box - "you have to see the Mona Lisa, so I saw it, and got a picture to prove it. It's small."
08-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #9708
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't think of a single thing I'd want to see badly enough to be in a crowd like that. My definition of a maximum acceptable crowd is 2 people ahead of me in line at Burger King.
Furthermore, if I need a Passport to see something surrounded by a crowd like that I can just look at a picture of it in a book and go the Monument Valley instead.
08-12-2014, 12:30 PM   #9709
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
images/video !!!
I have a photo of me doing Wii dance somewhere. Will that work?

08-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #9710
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
I have a photo of me doing Wii dance somewhere. Will that work?
Yep ... Oui, Wii, Oui ...
08-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #9711
Veteran Member

Yep ...
Dang! Now I'm going to have to find it!
08-12-2014, 01:33 PM   #9712
Pentaxian

Pentax is doomed; none in the crowd (except for me and the Spam-o-matic K-5 "Classic") ... but, no hociR in sight here either ?! xpost

---------- Post added 08-12-14 at 14:11 ----------

Didn't happen unless we see the images/video !!!

Quite noticeable most of them carry one object as camera, map and probably entertainment centre too. Multifunction devices are not optimised to any of the purposes but satisfice most people.

08-13-2014, 04:32 AM   #9713
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
. . . . . . We have lots of rules in our house. . . . . . . . . . . . . I do know one; simply put, I can snuggle Mrs. jac anytime she wants to.
Does she ever bring out the "Elbow In The Ribs" weapon?
08-13-2014, 04:43 AM   #9714
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My (then not yet) brother-in-law took me aside in 1979 and warned me about the withering glance. Then he taught me how to fly fish. Because "all the trout streams near here are beyond the event horizon".

[EDIT: Prophetic post.

Mrs. monochrome just pulled that corner of the children's bathroom wallpaper away from the wall - you know, that corner where they didn't properly close the shower curtain for 20 years so that corner peeled up a bit - and pulled, and pulled, and pulled . . . .

"Drywall Mud won't fill that."
. . .
"Well don't get mad at ME!," I said. "It isn't MY fault drywall mud won't properly fill a 1' x 3' hole in a plastered wall."
. . . "I'd think you could do SOMETHING!!!"
"Well, I can do some things, but I can't do plaster. I don't have the materials, the tools or the skill"
. . . "WHY DON'T YOU JUST TRY!!!!"
"Oh for cripes sake. It won't work. You know it and I know it. We've been doing this kind of thing to houses for thirty years. We'll have to call someone."
. . . "I DON'T WANT TO CALL SOMEONE - "
"Well, why did you pull that wallpaper off in the first place then?"
. . .

Yikes.]

[EDIT 2: I just cleaned up after carefully applying the first cut of drywall mud to the affected area of plaster. I figure by next weekend I'll be ready to glue the wallpaper back down.

(It isn't going to work.)]
I've had to make repairs to lath and plaster walls around bathroom fixtures before. What I have discovered is that a 1" x 3" hole becomes 1' x 3' repair after you clean up all the adjacent decay. Sometimes the chicken wire and lath are in such bad shape that if you don't go as far as it takes to get to good, solid material you will be back in there soon, doing the same work again.

And then the rules (unwritten and constantly changing of course) will dictate that you should have recruited professional help the first time.

Also, as in my case, the house was over 100 years old, and had been added on to, modified, and "fixed" by far too many "experts" over the years. But the quality (or lack thereof) of prior work and repairs is never acknowledged or even considered while the present "maintenance" is underway.

When it was all said and done I may have been better off to have simply sold the place and moved into a new home.

And had I done so a K3 would have been out of the question.
08-13-2014, 04:47 AM   #9715
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Hey all!

I promise I didn't disappear into some vortex! Life has just gotten rather busy lately. That's the way it is!! I got my lens prize & I haven't even had a chance to take it out & shoot with it!! I'm being completely immature & childish, but I want a vacation!!

Hey Amy!

Great to see you!
08-13-2014, 05:02 AM   #9716
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I've had to make repairs to lath and plaster walls around bathroom fixtures before. What I have discovered is that a 1" x 3" hole becomes 1' x 3' repair after you clean up all the adjacent decay. Sometimes the chicken wire and lath are in such bad shape that if you don't go as far as it takes to get to good, solid material you will be back in there soon, doing the same work again.

And then the rules (unwritten and constantly changing of course) will dictate that you should have recruited professional help the first time.

Also, as in my case, the house was over 100 years old, and had been added on to, modified, and "fixed" by far too many "experts" over the years. But the quality (or lack thereof) of prior work and repairs is never acknowledged or even considered while the present "maintenance" is underway.

When it was all said and done I may have been better off to have simply sold the place and moved into a new home.

And had I done so a K3 would have been out of the question.
...but now it isn't??!
08-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #9717
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
...but now it isn't??!
I appears that even purchase of a K-5 was not enough to counter the influence of the livE hociR!

The hocirR ascends and Tokyo is doomed!!!

Steve
08-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #9718
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Does she ever bring out the "Elbow In The Ribs" weapon?
Oh, that brings back some painful memories.
That and that loving hand draped over your midsection all the sudden turning into a claw with sharp nails.
08-13-2014, 09:30 AM   #9719
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ditto. I think that pic just talked me right out of going to the Louvre. Holy crap, that's crazy! No wonder they are having such a time with pick pockets. They're jammed in there like sardines! That is definitely not my idea of how to properly view fine art. Is it always like that?

Last edited by magkelly; 08-13-2014 at 09:44 PM.
08-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #9720

unfortunately it is (OK, it was the same way back in 2005)