Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #9721
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I broke one of my toes over the weekend, and the pain stopped me from hitting the checkout button with a K3.

08-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #9722
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Ditto. I think that pic just talked me right out of going to the Louvre. Holy crap, that's crazy! No wonder they are having such a time with pick pockets. They're jammed in there liker sardines! That is definitely not my idea of how to properly view fine art. Is it always like that?
Salut magkelly,

No, it's not always like that ... We went at the peak of the tourist "rush" ... July/August. Off season is much, much calmer.

When we lived in Paris eleven years ago, the Louvre was free admission on Sunday mornings. So, Mrs JP and I would get up "early" and spend many a morning there, eat lunch nearby and head home which was only about ten stations away on the same Metro line (n° 7). The Louvre was almost "empty" on those mornings ... like having it all to ourselves!

Those were the good ol' "young couple" days before the arrivals of the 3 girls. C'est la vie ... J
08-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #9723
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I broke one of my toes over the weekend,
Ouch! Hate broken toes! Not much can be done for those!

---------- Post added 08-13-14 at 09:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Holy crap, that's crazy!
Speaking of crazy... The Iowa State fair!!

Rare open area!

But the food is good!!!
08-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #9724
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
When it was all said and done I may have been better off to have simply sold the place and moved into a new home.
Our first house was where I came to the realization that I don't do plaster. It was 100 years old when I was thirty. And that was thirty years ago. If there was a horizontal, vertical or angled surface, interior or exterior, or water, gas or electricity ran thought it, I did something to it.

This house was young

When I bought it.

08-14-2014, 04:53 AM   #9725
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Our first house was where I came to the realization that I don't do plaster. It was 100 years old when I was thirty. And that was thirty years ago. If there was a horizontal, vertical or angled surface, interior or exterior, or water, gas or electricity ran thought it, I did something to it.

This house was young

When I bought it.
Old homes are really cool. They have history, and often you will discover some of it when working on them or poking around in the deep, dark crevices that time has forgotten. The house I mentioned had been my parents last home that they had bought before divorcing. Mom got it in the split, and when she remarried and moved out I took the place over. It was a small hobby farm, had a barn and other outbuildings, all very old, but nothing as old as the homes that are in your area.

Mom's house had started life as a chicken coop (or so they were told when they bought it in 1970). The property had been part of a large family farm and as the children grew up then the property was divided up and "homes" built for them. The coop was raised and a basement dug under it. Then it was finished off inside with the lath and plaster, a bedroom and bathroom added on the rear and a kitchen on one side, all the interior walls had been finished with wallpaper.

There clearly was no electricity when the house was first built, as the knob and tube cloth covered wiring gave a bit of a story there. The plumbing was lead pipes, and when the local water district brought a line down the road the house was connected, and the dug well was then turned into a cesspool (yuk!).

After mom divorced her second husband I moved out and she returned. There was some remodeling going on and a sliding door and a porch added to one side of the house. When we were tearing the wall apart we found newspaper had been used for insulation, and old license plates had been used to cover up holes in the inside of the exterior wall.

Mom finally retired and sold the place about 7 years ago. Her and dad bought it for $17,500 in 1970. It was 3.5 acres, and she had picked up a 1/2 acre piece on one side at a tax foreclosure auction sometime in the late 1980's.

The developers gave her $2.3 million for it, and bought up all the other property in the area. They came in with all manner of machinery and completely removed everything, even regraded the landscape, and built "Ticky Tacky Little Boxes" all with "Zero Lot Line" postage stamp yards.

It was sad to see the neighborhood I lived in as a teen and then lived in for another period in the late 80's and early 90's be completely obliterated, and transformed into the blight that is there today.

It is probably the work of the livE hociR!
08-14-2014, 06:41 AM   #9726
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I discovered the flue for the coal - or possibly wood - stove in the kitchen (I always wondered what that extra chimney was for), the places where gaslights had been mounted (in some rooms the pipe and nipple assy. was still there), an un-plumbed, non-insulated room on the third floor separated from the accessible area (accessed by pull-down stairs), presumably used by other than household help, and 30+ long arms behind a false panel in a space adjoining that room. Since the stairs were in the ceiling of a closet I wondered whether that was an early safe room. It was built for the daughter of a St. Louis shoe baron as her wedding present.

Sale of those bought a new furnace / airco and complete tuckpointing.

There were 8 Murphy Beds in that house - all in a row along the wall of a room that ran the length of the back of the house on the second floor!

Really net old place - had the original blue prints.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-15-2014 at 09:35 AM.
08-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #9727
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There were 8 Murphy Beds in that house - all in a row along the wall of a room that ran the length of the back of the house on the second floor!
Murphy beds? Eight? In one room?

Eccentric?

Steve

08-14-2014, 07:48 AM   #9728
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Murphy beds? Eight? In one room?

Eccentric?

Steve
Lot of grandchildren?

That just scratches the surface of eccentricities in that house (indoor / outdoor marble koi pond was another) - it was a lot of fun but sucked money out of our accounts and really wasn't in a great place to have a family.
08-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #9729
Veteran Member

sadly, I must announce my retirement from this thread.

I have just purchased a K3 and it will arrive Tuesday. I have enjoyed the camaraderie and friendships I have forged in this thread. I shall miss you all.
08-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #9730
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote

I have just purchased a K3 and it will arrive Tuesday. I have enjoyed the camaraderie and friendships I have forged in this thread. I shall miss you all.
No need to leave. We have a few others who, in a moment of weakness, succumed to the siren song of the hociR.
08-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #9731
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
No need to leave. We have a few others who, in a moment of weakness, succumed to the siren song of the hociR.
Indeed no reason to leave! Just don't admit that you failed and nobody will think ill of you.

Well, they will, but they won't say it.

Or maybe they will.

But those of us who did give in to the sweet, sweet song of the hociR will understand perfectly well.
08-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #9732
Pentaxian

Long ago someone said that was a reason not to buy one.
08-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #9733
Veteran Member

The only person in exile from this thread is the op. And that was self imposed! He probably bought one and just can't face the cat calls he would get! Although I still subscribe to the theory that he been held captive in his basement by Otis's squirrel army!
08-14-2014, 01:33 PM   #9734
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
The only person in exile from this thread is the op. And that was self imposed! He probably bought one and just can't face the cat calls he would get! Although I still subscribe to the theory that he been held captive in his basement by Otis's squirrel army!
He was grounded from the internet by his mother after she started reading this thread.
08-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #9735
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yes, we are here, but continued membership requires twice daily self-flagellation and still the lure and thrall of the hociR is strong.

Steve