Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2014, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #9766
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Go tell her that, let us know how it turned out.
I did! The response was suck it up and don't talk during the show! She's not easily offended which is very good for me! But if you interrupt a show, you'll get a plastic cup chucked at your head!!

08-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #9767
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote

Now back to bacon corn dogs!
No wonder you haven't succumbed to Hocir fever. You've been squandering your hard-earned wage on small children! They're much too expensive and they compete for time better spent in the camera aisle. Shame!
08-18-2014, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #9768
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
No wonder you haven't succumbed to Hocir fever. You've been squandering your hard-earned wage on small children! They're much too expensive and they compete for time better spent in the camera aisle. Shame!
As a professional grammpa, I heartily endorse my kids having all the small children they want. I have discovered that being grammpa is the best gig ever.
08-19-2014, 04:26 AM   #9769
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
As a professional grammpa, I heartily endorse my kids having all the small children they want. I have discovered that being grammpa is the best gig ever.

08-19-2014, 04:37 AM   #9770
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I'm with Jac!

Even though I have no children of my own, Mrs. Racer has 2 adult kids that now have offspring. I get to play grandpa quite a bit these days, I am still young enough to enjoy it, and it gives rewards that no amount of money can buy.

And a K3 would be no better than my K5IIs, K10D or my camera with the funny name, the *istDL.
08-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #9771
Veteran Member

You've been squandering your hard-earned wage on small children!
I have 5. Seemed like a really good idea at the time! My wife blames me for talking her into it! Too late now!! No money for shiny temptations from the livE hociR!!
08-20-2014, 12:36 AM   #9772
Veteran Member

Better you than me, grin. I'm actually very glad I didn't listen to my hormones and have kids in my 20's or 30's. My Dad was a little upset with me for a while on that score. He liked the idea of a grandchild from him and my Mom. He was hinting about it pretty hard there for a while. But he gave it up finally when I was diagnosed with several autoimmune diseases. With my genetics not having children is probably pretty sensible. Dad's other kids have kids, and their kids have kids, and their kids now have kids. He's a great great grandfather now actually on several counts.

Not that it matters. he has very little contact with most of them. His relationship with his other kids is better now, cordial at least, but it's not what you'd call doting. His other kids are older than I am and they bred very young and their kids mostly followed that pattern. I wasn't even hardly out of diapers myself and the eldest ones were popping out grandchildren. I have young nieces and a nephew I play with sometimes and I enjoy that, but I must admit I'm awfully glad when they go home.

I used to take care of kids in my teens and 20's a lot. I'm pretty sure that's why I have little if any desire to have children now. Too much diaper duty already. I'm in peri-menopause now and diligently tracking things. I'm really hoping I will go into an early menopause soon. If I could afford it I swear I'd yank it all and be done with it. I'm so ready to be non fertile it's ridiculous. I'm a defiant old maid cat lady though I'm not actually "old" yet. Men and kids, I like them both well enough, but it's best for both of us when I can tell them I've had enough and they need to go home! I cannot do the whole family thing. I just don't have the patience for it. I have a hard enough time just taking care of my Dad and being around him so much every day.

My Dad joking calls my feline pair his "Grandcats!" and spoils them almost as much as he probably would my real kids if I had any. I really think they are a big substitute for the kids and grand kids he seldom sees. The irony of course is that he's far easier on the grand kids and on the cats than he's ever been on me. Even my siblings have noticed it while visiting. They're like "Is he always that hard on you?" and I'm like "Yep, always has been, always will be." I've never understood it really. I'm the GOOD kid in my family, the one that almost never gives him trouble or worry, the only one that stepped up to take care of him when he got old, and he still gives me more crap than any of them. Heck, he's nicer to the CATS than he is to me most of the time.

If I had kids for real? He'd be constantly spoiling them rotten and still giving me trouble. I have no doubt. It's a fact. When he gets really bad I tease him about it. I ask him if he wants me to mourn at his funeral or tap dance at it. I tell him it's up to him. Usually he laughs, but it's only half a joke and I think he gets that. I don't take crap from him often anymore. I call him on it. I don't believe advanced age is an excuse to be mean or that honoring your father means letting him walk all over you, which is something he will do if I let him. I don't get it though why he can be so nice to his kid's kids and their kids but so hard on his own. It's like I have two different fathers, the one I know as mine, and this oddball nicer one they call "Grandpa." when they call. I've seen that with other people though. They have a completely different relationship with their grandchildren than they did with their own kids...

Last edited by magkelly; 08-20-2014 at 12:41 AM.
08-20-2014, 09:53 AM   #9773
Pentaxian

Is this the longest thread on pentax forums?
08-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #9774
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Not quite. The Takumar Lens Club and the 300mm Plus clubs are longer, but they've been running for over 6 years, and over 5 years, respectively.
08-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #9775
Veteran Member

the HOCIR arrived yesterday.

Going out Sunday for its first test drive.

Did have a moment of panic. Half its menu items are not accessible unless you have a memory card inserted. Was trying to adjust custom functions and they were greyed out. Thought I had a defective unit...lol

I can say I probably won't buy another K3 for a while, unless the GF insists on one.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Too busy barbequing, no time to think about spending money with the livE.
And man were those some tasty looking BBQ fixins. I grill for just the 4 of us once in a while, can't imagine the time invested in a full spread like that.
08-20-2014, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #9776
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
the HOCIR arrived yesterday.

Going out Sunday for its first test drive.

Did have a moment of panic. Half its menu items are not accessible unless you have a memory card inserted. Was trying to adjust custom functions and they were greyed out. Thought I had a defective unit...lol

I can say I probably won't buy another K3 for a while, unless the GF insists on one.

And man were those some tasty looking BBQ fixins. I grill for just the 4 of us once in a while, can't imagine the time invested in a full spread like that.
After a while you won't even notice the mark any more.
08-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #9777
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
Did have a moment of panic. Half its menu items are not accessible unless you have a memory card inserted. Was trying to adjust custom functions and they were greyed out. Thought I had a defective unit...
R
08-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #9778
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

T
08-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #9779
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

F
08-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #9780